KWC Co2 Desert Eagle Review

KWC Co2 Desert Eagle .50AE

Type: GBB

Ammunition: Bog standard 6mm

Power source: 12g Co2 Capsules, or any Co2 canister with the correct tubes and adaptors.

Capacity: 40 rounds (can also use a normal KWC DE mag with an external Co2 rig)

Power: 400fps

Cost: $155USD from Redwolf, $1050HKD from GunsNGuys

Warning! This gun is so fun that you may need Kleenex. Ready?

Righto. No piccies I’m afraid, my camera exploded. :(

This gun had been in my sights for quite a while, after I saw it for the low low price of $950HKD at S3 in Mong Kok. Immediately, I started saving up.

Unfortunately, when I got back to the shop with enough money, I found that it was so popular that all of them were sold, bar the display model. Bumsocks.

Nevertheless, the shopkeeper reassured me that the gun had never been used, just taken out of the box and placed on the rack. Huzzah!

First Impressions

It’s big.

Oh so very ‘Egad-is-that-holster-full-or-am-I-just-that-sexy’ big.

Of course, it’s got a big magazine too, more so than a normal DE. It has to be o hold a co2 cap, but the plus side is that you now have 40rnds of pleasure.

The Entire barrel assembly is metal. The entire slide is metal.

All the worky bits are too: trigger, hammer magazines etc. the frame (grip) isn’t, but that’s probably for the best, or the gun would be well over the 2kg mark.

As it is, it is very heavy. Bout 1.4kg. This negates the recoil somewhat. I have no probs holding it steady, but then again I’m 6’ 4” and weigh 100kg. Rar.

It’s a nice matt black. No newfangled shiney flashy stuff here mate. I do know there is a chrome version around, and also a two-tone, with a silver slide. However, black is more intimidating, colour of death and all. Silver is what? The colour of someone who can’t afford gold or platinum. Pfft.

Black am win. Silver am not-rich-but-trying-to-be. Pfft etc. Moving on:

Another point of interest is that the grips on the BLACK version are nice comfy rubberized houge-type grips. The grips on the Silver or two tone are normal DE ones. Okay I guess, but the rubbery grips are so luverly…

You also get a bloody mahoosive case with foam and 5 slots for co2 capsules as well as a little compartment with an allen key (disassembly and removing blowback mech) and a thingymabob (technical phrases) for unscrewing the plug on the bottom of the mag.

Oh, and a nice Chinese manual with very good photographs, not drawings. Well done KWC.

Firing:

Right, lets get it going eh?

1) Take out mag.

2) Use thingymabob ot unscrew mag plug.

3) Place 12g Co2 bulb inside.

4) Reverse step two.

5) Make sure that it’s all the way in. There will be some hissing.

6) Load it up with 40 rounds using the handy loading rod supplied.

7) Place mag back in gun.

8) Place gun in hands.

You are now ready to orgas…erm, shoot…yes.

One thing about the DE is that it is single action only. Hence, to fire the hammer must be cocked. Pulling the trigger only releases the hammer, it does not cock it. This means one of two things:

1) After putting the mag in, you must cycle the action.

2) The gun will not fire unless the hammer is cocked. This means that if you dry fire, you must recock the hammer.

One thing I find with this gun, compared to a TM HK Desert Eagle.

Everything is much harder. The recoil spring is MUCH stronger. The Hammer spring is MUCH stronger, etc etc. This is because of the tremendous power of Co2, which requires everything, including springs, to be stronger.

The selector switch is ambidextrous, but is incredibly hard to work. One little known fact about this gun is that it has the ability to go full auto! Now before you all start hyperventilating in delight, the Full auto is useless unless you are fighting 4 people with AEGs in a shoebox. The recoil on this beast is fierce. The strongest I have ever felt on any GBB.

Although I can control it, the long barrel (6 inch) doesn’t help. In full auto I find the gun sways side to side, no matter how hard I try to keep it steady, since the recoil and High ROF are fighting it.

More on accuracy later.

The Selector has three positions, Safe, Semi and Auto. These are etched very small into the selector itself, in the following order: ‘S’, ‘1’ and ‘40’. Full auto is all the way up, semi is half way and safe is all the way down. Don’t make my mistake:

My friend: Try it on semi first!

Me: *Flicks selector all the way up* Right.

KERBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP!

Me: Woah!

My friend: Argh my spleen (or arm)!

Yes. This thing ricochets bbs everywhere at close range.

Trigger Pull:

Trigger pull is decent, smooth and even. Not ultra-light, but short.

Recoil:

As I said before, is pretty fierce. The sound the slide makes as it returns…ooo…

Accuracy:

On semi, this brute is just as accurate as the TM HK DE. Follow up shots are harder obviously because of the recoil, but I could easily hit (and penetrate both sides of) a coke can at 10-15m. Torso shots are easy at 20m, and although the maximum range is somewhere around the 100m mark, there is no real accuracy. All accuracy tests done with 0.25g bbs.

In full auto it’s a whole different story. The slide, which is big and heavy, moves very fast, creating a lot of movement. Hence, the groupings are not very good. But still, if you’re REALLY in trouble, it’s good for maybe 10m ranges.

Reliability:

Pretty new, so cannot really say. However, I dropped the mag (it’s a lot heavier than you would think) onto concrete from waist height and it was fine. There is a large rubber/plastic mag bumper on the bottom which does a marvelous job of protecting it from the occasional drop or bump.

Unfortunately, since this gun runs on Co2 capsules, you need to lube it up quite a lot. It still works bone dry, but sometimes the hammer will jam (just pull it back again to fix it). Or, you could use those fancy 12g Co2 bulbs that come with silicone lube in them.

Remember kids: ONLY USE 100% SILICONE LUBE OR SPRAY IN AIRSOFT GUNS!!!!!1!!111!!onehundredandeleven

Hop up:

The hop up is located just above the breech, bit fiddly to adjust as it needs a tool like a toothpick or something. However, once set it is solid and does not move at all.

Take down:

Bit complicated, but essentially the same as any other field-strippable DE.

Custom works:

Erm…not much really, you could get a 10inch barrel for it, and there is a rail on top for scopes and or Reflex sights…

A holster does wonders too.

Conclusion:

Well…

Bang for the buck, this gun is great. Greater than great actually, more like the “Greater Gun that is Greater than Great”.

I was discussing with my friend, who has a 5inch Infinity with a metal slide and upgrades to get it going at 400fps.

All prices in HKD.

My DE:

DE - $950

Total - $950

Co2 – $0.1125 per shot

His Infinity:

Infinity 5 inch - $1,200

Metal slide - $700

Upgrades (springs etc) - $100

Total - $2,000

That’s a difference of $1050HKD.

So, in order for my gun to become more expensive than his, I would have to fire 9,333 bbs.

Me am win, methinks. :)

So why are you still here, reading this? Go and get one for yourself!

Oh, and one for your mum too, cos it’s nice to give your mum prezzies now and then.

Edited by DarkLite

Nice Review. It sure is a tasty piece. :D

Word of warning to add to your review though:

I heard quite a few reports before purchasing one of these that they could also take standard KWC DE magazines and thereby run on green gas. So I thought I could have fun plinking on CO2 and yet still be able to take it to skirmish in the UK with the lower powered green gas. Groovy. Alas.......

Well, the standard mags do fit fine sure...... but green gas is not powerful enough to operate the gun. It simply won't work. If you try to fire with green gas all the gas will be dumped in one fell swoop. At the same time the first BB you were gonna fire will be left sitting in the barrel port or, at best, 5ft in front of the gun and on the floor. :(

Edited by Reload

The mold quality on the parts?

Erm... The metal parts have NO seam lines at all. The plastic frame and rubbery grips have a very faint seam line.

All in all, I want two now, and are saving up.

Nice Review. It sure is a tasty piece. :D

Word of warning to add to your review though:

I heard quite a few reports before purchasing one of these that they could also take standard KWC DE magazines and thereby run on green gas. So I thought I could have fun plinking on CO2 and yet still be able to take it to skirmish in the UK with the lower powered green gas. Groovy. Alas.......

Well, the standard mags do fit fine sure...... but green gas is not powerful enough to operate the gun. It simply won't work. If you try to fire with green gas all the gas will be dumped in one fell swoop. At the same time the first BB you were gonna fire will be left sitting in the barrel port or, at best, 5ft in front of the gun and on the floor. :(

It will work on red gas though with a standard DE mag...

One of my friends who has this gun says he can run it on Green, but I have yet to see it.

• 10 months later...

Do you know if getting airsoft-armory or redwolf to dissassemble your gun into peices would increase it's chance of getting through customs? I was thinkin maybe if I got them to ship the barrel and the trigger separetly, but i would have to probly have to pay double shipping, would it make any difference or am I just waisting my money <_<

i probly could do that but this is gonna cost so much money lol dam the UK and their fps limit, i wish scotland aisoft could make it much easier for me and just buy it from there but they said there not gonna get them in stock for the forseeable future, i emailed them as they said they dont get enough profit from the pistols and i offered them £20 extra, im desparete lol, in total i worked this all to cost £210 is it really worth it? :( I reli want this pistol though its so kl, but what i dont get is how do the english retailers get the pistols that are like 450 fps :huh: ive seen uk websites sell the really powerful uzi at 450 fps how the hell did they manage gettin that across the border?

post-17113-1144666334_thumb.jpgshame about the fps limit in the UK ive concluded that im just gonna have to get the CO2 sigma i rekon its the next best thing than from gettin the KWC desert eagle, in the UK there are so much copies of the KWC co2 desert, there are cheap plastic version that do shoot up to 400 fps but they are not full auto and only have metal parts such as the slide which also seem quite unreliable, wish i could get the real thing though i spose rwetailers in england can get the copied versions much cheaper than the real deal. This guy has the sigma in stock and it comes with a scope its 450 fps just a little more powerful than the desert but a major factor for me is that it dont have full auto oh well, Im just gonna have to get hte next best thing, how these retailers get the pistols over 328 fps through customs i do not know <_<
post-17113-1144666334_thumb.jpgshame about the fps limit in the UK ive concluded that im just gonna have to get the CO2 sigma i rekon its the next best thing than from gettin the KWC desert eagle, in the UK there are so much copies of the KWC co2 desert, there are cheap plastic version that do shoot up to 400 fps but they are not full auto and only have metal parts such as the slide which also seem quite unreliable, wish i could get the real thing though i spose rwetailers in england can get the copied versions much cheaper than the real deal. This guy has the sigma in stock and it comes with a scope its 450 fps just a little more powerful than the desert but a major factor for me is that it dont have full auto oh well, Im just gonna have to get hte next best thing, how these retailers get the pistols over 328 fps through customs i do not know <_<

I was thinking to buy an accurate barrel. My original inner barrel is covered partly in some weird *beep*, that even gun oil doesn't have effect on it (im 2nd owner).

Can't find accurate barrels for KWC DE, only TM. Anyone know does TM barrel do the trick?

Just a heads-up for the US users. You can get it here for only $135. I shall be ordering one shortly.

Unfortnately, that is the American version imported by Cybergun. It shoots ~25FPS less, and doesn't have the nice Hogue Style grips. It is not as good. I could only find one place with the Japan Version in America, and it's the same price. It's performance Airsoft. KWC C02 Desert Eagle REAL Version go there and order it, not the Cybergun ###### (no offense) version.

More later

Edited by Runner
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortnately, that is the American version imported by Cybergun. It shoots ~25FPS less, and doesn't have the nice Hogue Style grips. It is not as good.

Yer I agree with you, in the UK they have loads of those american version desert eagle's it's anoying becuase I really want the hong kong version as I say, its much better and it's full metal rather than just a metal slide. Over here most of the american versions are just semi-auto which I dont really want. There's a desert over here with full auto but is an american version if I really cant get the kl version then I might just have to get that but I dont really like the gold slide that it's got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

do any one know if the TM frame fits this kwc, it wold be nice to remove this plastic frame and change it with this Zeke metal frame for desert eagle .50EA

but again waste of money is it don't fits

edit:

Are there any pouches that will snugly hold the damned HUGE  magazines?

I can't carry them!

i got this Holster to the Deagle the clips fits if you use a little force

Edited by MacALF
do any one know if the TM frame fits this kwc, it wold be nice to remove this plastic frame and change it with this Zeke metal frame for desert eagle .50EA

but again waste of money is it don't fits

edit:

i got this Holster to the Deagle the clips fits if you use a little force

Thanks, I doubt the frame will fit cause it's probably for the Marui or many other guns, which aren't compatable.

3 problems I'm afraid:

1) The Zeke kit is for the TM, not the KWC - They are quite similar but not the same.

2) The Zeke kit is not terribly well made - it takes a LOT of work to fit (even if it would).

3) The Zeke kit is rediculously expensive and it's not really worth it.