Red dot + magnifier, useful for snipers?

Isamu

TRue Travis, I usually dont need magnification for my shots, thats why I wanted to use a red dot, but magnification is allways good for spotting or confirming targets, more on the type of fields I use to play, a lot of trees and vegetation to hide here ;)

But I will take your advise and use the Red dot this sunday and the scope to compare, the field im going is pretty "clean" so I should be able to aim easily, too bad my BAR10 is still stock :lol:

Well, I wouldn't use a sniper rifle with a red-dot or without a scope... Anyone saying there is no need for magnification for 50-60-70m shots they either have superman eyesight or no idea what they're talking about. Magnification is also vital for spotting small/hiding targets, choosing the right time to engage, hit confirmation, etc.

Scopes for snipers, red dots for double-tappers, sprayer-and-prayers. :P

true, maybe for 50 or 60m shots magnification is a must, but not all the shots are made at those distances, some are are at 30m or less for me since Im shooting at 354FPSs with 0.25g, and at 30m... well, if the target isnt hidden, im more comfortable with low magnification than with medium so I can keep track of his companions easier, so thats why I dont think going with X1 is the answers as isnt a X4.5 minimum magnification, something in the middle like the Barska scope Bfour pointed or using a magnifier with the RDS more likely... :)

In fact the Barska scope type is growing on me :P too bad I have to upgrade the BAR10 before getting a good scope :)

Oh, don't tell me you need a scope. One of the best snipers that ever lived preferred iron sights. Look him up some time, Simo Hayha. I assure you he had to take a few shots slightly further than we do in airsoft.

If you can't ID your target, try getting closer. You will have a better chance at a hit, too.

You may not need a magnifier, I used to run a g-spec with just a RDS. Just place that dot on them how ever far away they are (seriously, do you need a scope for a 150ft shot?).

Well, I wouldn't use a sniper rifle with a red-dot or without a scope... Anyone saying there is no need for magnification for 50-60-70m shots they either have superman eyesight or no idea what they're talking about. Magnification is also vital for spotting small/hiding targets, choosing the right time to engage, hit confirmation, etc.

Key issue in bold.

Oh, don't tell me you need a scope. One of the best snipers that ever lived preferred iron sights. Look him up some time, Simo Hayha. I assure you he had to take a few shots slightly further than we do in airsoft.

If you can't ID your target, try getting closer. You will have a better chance at a hit, too.

You're totally missing the point.... which kinda makes me wonder how much airsoft sniping experience you really have.

Thing is, if you're shooting somebody (or something) with real bullets they can't cheat. They HAVE to call hit because of the hole you made in them.

In airsoft you can, ultimately, cheat.

Scopes help the shooter see what's going on.

Beyond that, in a role as a scout/sniper, I will regularly use a scope to view the area 200-300 yards in front of me and guide an assault squad to opponents I can see.

You can't do that with iron sights.

Lastly (and I'm sure some people would refuse to admit this is the case) airsoft guns, an their ammo are not perfect.

With a zoom scope you can see where the first BB hits and then adjust your second shot by the correct amount.

Any muppet can point at a target 50m away with an RDS.

Only a guy with a zoom scope can decide what to do next if the target doesn't call hit on the first shot and walk.

Really, this is sniping 101 and I'm surprised it's still open to debate. :unsure:

On topic, I was trying to say something back on page 1 but I don't think I was clear enough....

The fundamental problem with this idea is not really one of concept but with the hardware.

The replica magnifiers have awful eye relief, don't produce a very good field of view and are wobbly.

Add that to an RDS that might have an odd-shaped dot and, at best, is gonna have a reticle that will cover an entire person when magnified at a range of 50m or more.

Really, the only use for such a combo would be so you could flip the magnifier out of the way and use the RDS at close range... which you shouldn't be doing anyway with MEDs.

I suppose there might be some merit in the idea if you're using a DMR with no MED but, even so, there are better options available.

Point well taken, but he is still using a stock BAR-10. I know my vision is plenty sufficient for those ranges. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea, just that it is not NEEDED. Most small hidden targets you will have to get closer to get a kill anyways. Unless your gun shoots like a laser, mine sure doesn't.

I did use a scope with a stock g-spec, but I found that the magnification made it hard to track close objects, making me have to put down my scope and use my eyes anyways.

I see your point of view, maybe I'm just a young buck, but I can do most of those things without a scope. I can see pretty clearly where the bb went, and adjust accordingly. I can see if the bb hit...

I own a scope, and use it, but iron sights don't fog, they give you a better field of vision, they give you a smaller profile, and it is less to haul. The pros of a scope would be that you do indeed sometimes need the extra magnification, and the scope will probably make you a more accurate shooter. I think that the difference is that my gun isn't quite as powerful as others talked about here, I may find more use for a scope at greater distances. Which is part of the point Trasher made, well taken.

I never claimed I was an expert, just giving my opinion. Majority rules, get a scope.

Point well taken, but he is still using a stock BAR-10. I know my vision is plenty sufficient for those ranges. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea, just that it is not NEEDED. Most small hidden targets you will have to get closer to get a kill anyways. Unless your gun shoots like a laser, mine sure doesn't.

I did use a scope with a stock g-spec, but I found that the magnification made it hard to track close objects, making me have to put down my scope and use my eyes anyways.

I see your point of view, maybe I'm just a young buck, but I can do most of those things without a scope. I can see pretty clearly where the bb went, and adjust accordingly. I can see if the bb hit...

I own a scope, and use it, but iron sights don't fog, they give you a better field of vision, they give you a smaller profile, and it is less to haul. The pros of a scope would be that you do indeed sometimes need the extra magnification, and the scope will probably make you a more accurate shooter. I think that the difference is that my gun isn't quite as powerful as others talked about here, I may find more use for a scope at greater distances. Which is part of the point Trasher made, well taken.

I never claimed I was an expert, just giving my opinion. Majority rules, get a scope.

Everything you said can be solved with a variable powered scope

can the barska scope be used like a RDS when in X1.25 magnification? :) sorry if its a silly question, but i dont know much about scopes or RDS... ^_^ U

Not exaclty like a RDS because it still has a zoom. Its a very minimal zoom and its the perfect variable to take a short distance to medium shot.

You're failing to consider the glory that is PMR Radio. ;)

If I see a head or a leg poking out from behind a log 300m away, I don't need to shoot it.

I just need to get on the radio and tell the (far younger, fitter and more eager) guys already down there that there's a target hiding behind a log.

As a sniper, I've had games where I've never even fired a shot but, afterwards, I've had dozens of people come up to congratulate me for radio reports.

You won't be able to do that with iron sights or an RDS. ;)

Anyone found a good review of the Barska 1.25-4.5x26 scope?

I really like its build-up and specs but I am afraid of low-light conditions since the small front lens? Anyone have any info about this?

Bjorn

Dang, that would be useful.

Very true stealth. Call me selfish, but I love to be in the action.

Low light conditions are not a problem. Ive never experienced any. Ita rugged built scope, very solid. Click adjustments are very announced You feel and hear the click. The zoom adjustment knob is very smooth but not loose. The rings that come with it are eh, ok. Im using a LaRue Quick detach mount on mine.

Low light conditions are not a problem. Ive never experienced any. Ita rugged built scope, very solid. Click adjustments are very announced You feel and hear the click. The zoom adjustment knob is very smooth but not loose. The rings that come with it are eh, ok. Im using a LaRue Quick detach mount on mine.

And what would be the cheapest place to get the to EU? There are great prices in the US only though.

B.

Archived