What do you do to stay fit/healthy?

bbondaloose

I was playing about with an incline bench press which some cage thing where you can twist your wrist and lock it in when it starts to get tough which is safer so I'll probably do that untill my friend mans up and actually comes to the gym with me! Cheers.

Thats called a 'Smith' Machine, while they are good for certain things they are fixed track so aren't amazing because they limit the use of supporting mucles. So by all means use them as a short introduction into bench pressing, but you'l be better using a free bar with a light weight and a spotter.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Skarclaw:

Don't think about the week as 7 days, because its an odd number and beginners tend to work to every other day stuff. Think about it as 14 days.

Try to get a workout that looks something like this:

Workout A

Bench

Deadlift

Bent Over Row

Workout B

Pullup

Squat

Shoulder Press

You do workout everyother day, smashing out ABA week one, and BAB week two.

Rep range is something like 5x5 or 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, or 3x8. It generally works at less reps = strength, more reps = endurance. Reps in the range of 6-10 will generally build muscle size. Personally I work on a 12, 10, 8, 6, 4 building up from a starting weight and adding weight each set.

For you though, i'd go with 5x5. It'll take a while to sort out which weight to work at, but when you find it, you'll be feeling like you can't do another rep after the next. If you think you need someone to spot the bar, just ask someone, because they'll probably want you to spot for them sometime. The gym should have AT LEAST one PT working - if they don't get another gym.

If you're unsure of lifts, get a looksee on youtube. If you don't have the kit to do any exercise (You said you bench, which means theres a bar. All you need is a pullup bar and you're golden) Get a PT to hone your form. Its better to iron out mistakes now than getting into trouble later.

As for cardio, either put in about 20 minutes of HIIT training after a session, or on 'off' days. Make sure you rest well between gym sessions. HIIT training is basically High Intesity Interval Training. You work hard (and I mean hard, ball busting hard) for 30 seconds, then chillax for 30 just coasting. Rinse and repeat for 20 minutes. You'll be dead.

Diet is very important to beginners, its something that most people overlook. You don't need suplements, i've never used them, i'm still making good gains after two years of lifting to routines. You need to think about eating 30/30/40 split of protein/healthy fats/carbs during EVERY meal. Tinned tuna, chicken breast, steak - get some form of good protein in your meals. Think about eating smaller ammounts, but spread over the day- think neanderthal, they ate when they found food, not one larger meal at the end of the day.

The fact you wobble when lifting the weight is probably down to lack of stabilising muscles, these are the ones you work when you use free weights, and not machine presses and suchlike. Start light and build up, don't expect massive gains instantaneously, you'll probably find you improve fairly quickly to start with. Bet your mate you can't add 25% to your lifts in 4 months, and get competitive!

Booyaa on the huge post. But i'm in a good mood.

Got told i'm going on a PTI course. White vest and shouty voice here I come.

Hi.

Cheers for that post, it was useful, if not long! ;)

I do go the gym about 6 days a week as I find it fun, I've stopped using that smith machine and moved onto a standard bar bench, at the moment I've been doing 12 reps of 30kg, taking a break, another 12, etc a bunch of times. I can do 5 reps of 40kg, so I'll try this 5x5 thing as of tommorow and see how it goes. I found I got significantly less wobbly pretty quickly which is good I suppose.

Cheers.

1. A few laps in the pool everyday

2. Run every other day 4-6 miles (used to be 3-4 miles)

3. 40-60mins of free weight exercises daily (alternating upper and lower bodies each day)

4. I eat small meals multiple times a day.

I am 5' 8.5", Medium frame and used to weigh 187-190lbs. After getting into the above routine, I have managed to drop down in weight and maintain it at 150-155lbs. I still eat anything I want.

I have noticed that my metabolism kinda slowed down a bit so lately Ive been running 4-6 miles.

I'm 15, and It's a little hard to get in the exercise that I'd like..

Swimming 3 times a week (5-6k Yards)

Lifting 4 times a week

Flat Bench 6(reps)x3(sets) on 145lb

Decline Bench 8x3 on 145lb

Incline Bench 8x3 on 115lb

Pec Deck 8x4 on 212.5 lb

Calf Press-esque (JAMN) 8x6 on 340 lbs

Lat Pulldowns 8x3 on 125lb

And I don't really watch what I eat...I probably should. I'm 6'3 and 183 lbs.

At the moment I am currently alternating between:

Day One: 16 KM tab with 30 pound bergan on an incline. Target time: 1:50, time achieved so far 2:01

Day Two: Recovery day. A slow 5km an hour hike for 2 to 2 1/2 hours

Day Three: Three sets of runs, the first usually a fairly slow run, 10 to 12 km per hour for 1/2 an hour, the second usually a BFT, 2.4km in 10:30, the third

Day Four: Two mile run with a 35pound bergan aiming for 19 mins.

Start again.

I'm naturally quite strong so don't really bother with weights.

I put on quite a bit of weight while in Canada and have started this up to burn it back off again. This is a slightly ammended version of what I did for my first two years of TA and I went from 17.7 stone to 11.8 stone in two years.

Change your workout every 4 - 6 weeks, the body gets used to the same repetitions and they start to lose effectiveness.

Currently doing

Cleans super setted with barbell push ups 3 sets 20 kg 15 reps each

leg press 75 kg 3 sets 12 reps

bent over barbell row super set with Military press 3 sets 12 reps 20 kg

Lunges alternate straight with 10kg db's 20 reps per leg

single leg pulses (20 deep 10 low on each leg)

lunges alternate diagonal again 10kg db's 20 reps per leg

Olympic Bar Press 3 sets 12 reps 15 kg

Medicine ball push ups (rolling the ball from hand to hand on each rep) super set with Box jumps from deep knee bend 14 reps 2 sets

Knee Slap Push ups super set with split twist box jumps 16 reps 2 sets

Turkish get ups to pull ups 2 sets of 8 reps (4 a side)

I then stretch out for around 20 min's I also run 2 - 3 times a week, working up from 10 k

thats this month, next will be different again, this also keeps it interesting.

Archived