spur gear and piston not touching?

ok so i chewed through my old piston (sniff good bye old friend) and have replaced it with a metal toothed one, and at the same time up graded to bearing bushings, now long story short the spur gear is missing the piston (by a fraction of a millimeter) ... WTF everything is in place and turns slide fine what have i missed / done wrong the enxt step is putting the old bushings back in but seeing as how the centre lines are the same i can't see how this will help.

could the piston some how be too far forwards???

any ideas guys, much appreciated.

and cheers in advance.

i had the same proplem with my Top M60. i fit a guarder piston to it, and the sector gear wouldnt meet. I took it back out, fit another brand piston, all ok.

Turns out the Guarder teeth were about 1mm shorter than they should be. id measure the teeth on yours, make sure they are the same as your old one

Well I always thought V2/3 gearbox pistons were the same, however last week a customer had the same problem. Sorting through my box of spare pistons we found one slightly longer than the others.

This I'm told worked fine, whereas the other V2 pistons wouldn't engage.

'Tis very strange.

...it's a version £ gear box but shirly their the same pistons in v2/3?

You're certainly not wrong there :P

V2/3 pistons (and others for that matter) should be the same lengths, any differences I'm sure will be down to different manufacturers, and their tolerances.

And any difference in Sector Gear-to-Piston dimensions will be partly (or wholly) due to the many different piston head sizes around.

I'd always recommend sorting your AoE when you have a box apart anyway, so any slight variations in piston position will be irrelevant.

Archived