Personal kit enhancment for duty in 'Stan

swannie_2006

Hello all,

Seems my dad rolled a hard one on the dice (or just wants to get away from family for a while) and is preparing for a 6 month tour in 'Stan. I'd like to "chip in" to his gear as much as I can given our Army isn't exactly on par with the US in terms of issue kit (both quality or quantity). I need some advise what might help him to do his job and make the time spent there more bearable. I asked him about his current setup but he can't really disclose that kind of information (or is not in possession of all details). Anyways, it seems he can get away with some minor "non-issue gear" so ideas and suggestions from anyone with real world experience is more than welcomed.

Currently I am thinking of :

- ESS turbofan goggles in tan

- Wiley X CAD-1 gloves

- MS-2000 strobe (at least he won't be shot by friendly US soldiers :P)

Apparently they are getting improved helmets and body armour so no need to buy those ones (I was thinking about an MSA Mich-2000 and a PACA against fragments).

What else can I get for him? If you think that the information isn't really supposed to be on a public forum feel free to PM me.

Thank you in advance

Don't bother buying him any armour or a helmet, no matter how well you mean. What is issued at the moment is some of the best PPE in the world, why would he want anything different. Also, it is very doubtful that he will be allowed to wear anything non-issued, not sure about eyewear though. And if he does wear non-issued PPE, and does get hurt whilst wearing it, its unlikely that he would get compensation for it.

Do you know what your dad will be doing out there? Fair enough if you don't want to say what regiment he's in, but its a bit pointless buying him things like a strobe if he won't ever leave Bastion...

Not trying to be harsh, nor saying that I have any experience of the above, but I've trolled Army forums enough to know that wearing of non-issued PPE is a no-no.

Hope that helps,

Tom

TBH

It depends massively on his unit and role. There are most likely men who have been over there in his mob who can give him better advice than that given on an airsoft forum.

You might actually get a more useful reply if you post somewhere like ARRSE and are sensible in your request and post in the right areas.

If it were me I'd be asking the men I worked with who'd been there what I needed to take to be honest.

Well, I think you should just wait until he gets issued his gear. I have a hard time believing he won't be issued some sort of strobe, and at that the MS2000 wouldn't be my first choice. The other stuff you mentioned... eh. When I deployed mind you, I was a US Marine, we were issued more then enough goggles and gloves. So it might be different for your poor Army across the pond but I think you might be jumping the gun here a bit.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention (sorry about that) that my dad in serving in the Hungarian Army as Chief Warrant Officer and not in the British Army. (I am of Hungarian nationality living in this country for the better part of the decade). So, compensation for injuries while on duty is somewhat different (none?) so is how much he can deviate from standard issue gear. Although what they are getting for 'stan duty is better than general issue (Hungarian issue helmet is still the same steel "mushroom" the Russians have been using since WW2) but still not as good as US or British kit.

I know that he'll be on patrols and generally spending a lot of time outside of the main base.

Came another thought: a camelbak would be useful as well if they don't get one (have to confirm with him).

You might actually get a more useful reply if you post somewhere like ARRSE and are sensible in your request and post in the right areas.

For what its worth, you'd want to post in the QMs and MTs Sub Forum on ARRSE. But whatever you do, before you post a new topic, do an advanced search in that sub forum specifically and look at the vast number of threads on the subject before you post.

Is there not a Hungarian servicemens forum or similar where you might get more specific and relevant answers?

I made the assumption on your location it was British Army enquiry, hence suggesting ARRSE but really you need to be asking the guys from the Hungarian army who have already been there to get any decent answer.

Hi,

@Fatal:

You have a fair point there (confirming first what they'll be getting). I certainly will do so. Also I admit I might jump the gun here but he isn't going to a friendly weekender game here now , is he? :P Let's face it, he's my dad and my only one, so I guess it is natural I would like to have him back with his shield not on it.

@Gadge:

So true as well what you said. Thing is I just learnt about the whole tour thing (like 20 minutes before posting the thread) so I may have been a bit premature on that but I already got useful tips from you guys, so: THANK YOU!. As far as I know the Hungarian group's main job is building/re-building the country (schools, hospitals, water supply, etc).

Is there not a Hungarian servicemens forum or similar where you might get more specific and relevant answers?

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe on militaryphotos.net but I am not sure.

I made the assumption on your location it was British Army enquiry, hence suggesting ARRSE but really you need to be asking the guys from the Hungarian army who have already been there to get any decent answer.

Turns out, when dad goes back to the barracks they'll have a "meeting" with personnel just coming back from their tour so he'll have a chance to ask questions which he will, so I'll know more on what he might need next week.

Thanks again, guys. Your effort is truly appreciated.

Hello gents,

Dad (and all others who will go with the next group) had a Q&A session with those who just came back from their tour. Here is the list of issue things almost everyone ditched (with the approval of the commanders) and bought a replacement one locally from US or German personnel:

- goggles

- gloves

They'll be issued the same steel helmet the army uses since the 50s. Dad says no one will bat an eyelid if he uses a different helmet, so I am getting a MICH for him. I want him back, alive.

Trouble is, I couldn't find a shop in the US that sells them overseas (i.e. Britain). All the Brit shops/companies are asking for an export license (if I get that correctly) which of course I don't have.

Any ideas where I can buy a spanking brand new MICH?

Even though I do have a genuine MSA MICH (or at least it was sold to me as such and has an MSA/Gallett sticker in it) I dare not give it to dad. Who knows if it really has ballistic capabilities... Or even if it is the genuine article it might be too old.

so, if anyone has any ideas let me know, please.

Archived