Building 'Gladys'

Handsome Pete

Below is the idea and theory. I'm really after peoples experiences with modifying TM 1911's and with the parts listed. Any recomendations, constructive criticisms or idea's are very welcome. This is not set in stone, and I may not have the dollar to do anything about it for the time being but would really appreciate your input. Cheers.

Ok heres the deal. Ever since I saw Sin City a few moons ago now, Ive always fancied the idea of Marv's trusty piece 'Gladys' (a stainless Springfield Colt 1911). Everything externally about the gun appears to be silver (all except the grips). In basic terms, I want a Completely stainless Springfield 1911.

Below is a list of parts I've found available at various HK shops that I feel would do the job theoretically:

Guarder Aluminum Springfield Slide & Frame for Marui M1911

Nine Ball Outer Barrel Straight Silver for Marui M1911A1

Tanio Koba Hop Twist Barrel for Marui Hi-Capa 5.1 / M1911A1 or some other tightbore (more for imporved accuracy than aesthtics)

Action 160% Enhanced Recoil Spring Set for Marui 1911A1

Nova Recoil Spring Guide for Marui 1911A1 (Stainless)

Would these items (if put together professionally) fit and function together?

I'm aware of the better Springfield kits out there but i'm also aware that they are over double the price of a Guarder kit (hence my choice).

With regards to the hammer and trigger, I was hoping to use the original TM parts and either sand them till they look silver or find some sort of paint to give them the stainless effect.

Links below show 'Gladys':

http://www.imfdb.org/images/9/95/SC-Gladys.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/b/b5/SCM1911A1-9.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/78/SCM1911A1-4.jpg

Those parts should all work together no problem, but you often find mismatches when you are using so many different parts.

AFAIK Guarder metal bodies have allways required a little fiddling and filing to get them to work perfectly.

The cheap option:

http://www.rsov.com/index.php?target=produ...product_id=3814

Hi Handsome, sounds gay lets start again. Hi Pete, Gladys is a Springfield GI.45 full size stainless with Colt grips (grips being colt didn't know, picked up in pic's you've posted) , Guarder kit is your only option to for a Gladys built as the only other metal kit which comes close (PGC) is for the Springfield Mil Spec, the cocking serratoins are wrong and so is the ejection port.

Lets walk you through your list of parts and I'll give my humble opinion.

Guarder Aluminum Springfield Slide & Frame for Marui M1911: True copy of GI 45 other then front sight which can be easily modded with dremel and steady hand. Silver version has what I can only describe as a sparkley finish, parkerized is just beautiful. Another nice touch is indiviual serial numbers. Even though cast the trades marks are nice n crisp, so impressed I was that after builting my first Glady, bought another gun and kit, if I have to sell my all my TM 1911's, two of the sporting Pgc 1911a1 kit and Delta kit + Custom built Sti Spartan, top half shooters design hi capa slide on Nova 1911 frame, Iam never selling the Glayds twins. After the Mod to the BBH and the leaf spring it's straight drop in, no smoothing down the rails, I just coated mine with Abbey's Moly paste.

Nine Ball Outer Barrel Straight Silver for Marui M1911A1: No experience with Nine ball but cross compitablity as ED pointed out you might need to sand down the bands on barrel or slide , My sports PGC and Nova, Nova I was lucky to find here with correct S.A marking's and cycles perfect,Pgc works but cycleing is not as smooth as Nova, Guardr Own 1911 barrel's should work but I personally avoid useing steel parts on potmetal impacting on steel, can't see the BBH lasting long impacting on steel outer barrel on every cycle.

Tanio Koba Hop Twist Barrel for Marui Hi-Capa 5.1 / M1911A1 or some other tightbore (more for imporved accuracy than aesthtics) :I have PDI tight bore on my Delta but haven't upgraded my other 1911,TM 1911 is acurate enough stock.

Action 160% Enhanced Recoil Spring Set for Marui 1911A1 : Go with RCC 70% 130% set.

Nova Recoil Spring Guide for Marui 1911A1 (Stainless) : Personal choice, no recoil rod on RS.

(them till they look silver or find some sort of paint to give them the stainless effect):

Two ways of going about it, expensive or cheap, Expensive : Nova Serrated MSH, thumb saftey, slide stop or TM detoincs thumb safety and LCT serrated MSH. Even then the MSH is not kosha as the RS have intregrated locking system on MSH. Pdi S.A barrel and Trigger.

Cheap: Go with TM controls, most popular mod with RS owners.

Hope it helps, good luck with the built.

Nineball outer barrels are aluminum... Get stainless steel. (ProG4 is the best, and $84 bucks). Also, something to note - FM TM 1911's very often don't have the ability to shoot all the BB's in the magazine due to a low gas reservoir. Not necessarily a bad thing since 14 - 18 shots is good enough, just something to consider.

Archived