BOOKS military themed

jotohomomoto

I have been reading a really good book about Delta Force searching for Bin Laden back in the day and its called Kill Bin Laden. http://daltonfury.com/

I figured I'd start a thread on good military themed books that people on this forum have read and that inevitably influenced your airsoft game in some way.

Roughneck Nine-One and Generation Kill were also other books that i read recently that were really good.

I will only post the really good books I've read as some of them are not as good. I read mostly military themed books because they capture my imagination; much like airsoft.

book.jpg9780312353339.jpg27346583.jpg

After making this list i wonder if i am spreading myself too thin....

Green Eyes and Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb

Band of Brothers

On War by Clausewitz

I have read several books by John Keegan, off the top of my head Face of Warfare and A History of Warfare

I daresay i have a decent Vietnam collection listed below in no particular order

Dispatches by Herr

SOG by Plaster

Secret Commandos by Plaster

Across the Fence && On the Ground by John Stryker Meyer

Phantom Warriors series

Six Silent Men Series

The Things They Carried by Tim OBrien

We Were Soldiers Once by Moore and Galloway

We Are Soldiers Still by Moore and Galloway

Eyes of the Eagle by Gary Linderer

Recondo by Larry Chambers

Death in the A Shau by Chambers

Force Recon Diary 69,70 by Bruce Norton

LRRP Team Leader by Burford

Hell in a Very Small Place && Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall

Planning to read soon

Kregg Jorgenson books(MIA Rescue, Ghosts of the Highlands, LRRP Company Command, etc)

Tiger Force by Sallah and Weiss

Running Recon by Frank Greco

Going After Cacciato by OBrien

Gone Native by Cornett

I recommend Amazon, Ebay ,BN, and Alibris for book finding

umm this list is the most i can think of, my bookcases wont fit in the dorm room. It has occured to me that i need a EReader

The first 2 books that jump to mind are "Sniper One" By Dan Mills and "Apache" by Ed Macy.

Unfortunately both will be of little use for airsoft skirmishing tactics as one is mainly concerned with long range defensive sniping, and other is on the use of the Apache attack helicopter, but both are really good reads.

Elliot.

The first 2 books that jump to mind are "Sniper One" By Dan Mills and "Apache" by Ed Macy.

Unfortunately both will be of little use for airsoft skirmishing tactics as one is mainly concerned with long range defensive sniping, and other is on the use of the Apache attack helicopter, but both are really good reads.

Elliot.

Well, when i read these books I'm not necessarily looking for practical tactics as just an enjoying read that informs my opinion on the general direction I want to take my airsoft game but honestly, I never actually think it out that far! ;)

I started reading "Apache" and thought it was very unique and interesting, but I didn't finish it for any number of reasons. As far as other helicopter themed books I've read, "Chickenhawk" and "Night Stalkers" comes to mind.

"Chickenhawk" is written by a Vietnam Huey pilot that describes flight school to combat and back. "Chickenhawk" is actually required reading in Army Helicopter Flight School.

"Night Stalkers" is about the 160th SOAR helicopter squadron that flies Rangers, Delta, SEALs, etc. around and has specialized high risk missions. The Blackhawk helicopter of "Blackhawk Down" fame is from the 160th SOAR Night Stalkers.

"Tiger Force" was a disturbing book about an out of control group of army grunts in Vietnam that epitimized abuse in Vietnam by soliders to civilians. They wore tiger stripe camouflage and boonnie hats instead of helmets and for that they stood out.

Another book that stands out in my mind is "Lone Survivor" by Macus Luttrell a Navy SEAL that was trapped on a mountain in Afghanistan and his crazy rescue. I loved this book and it opened my eyes to just how much the SEALs do.

0316067601.gif

I'm reading this book right now and I seriously CANNOT put it down (and thats saying a lot considering my severe ADD!!blink.gif ) It takes a hands-on approach to discussing snipers and what it takes to make and be one. This book is so detailed and discusses exactly the kind of quesitons I have about sniping and ballitstics in general. i loved Halberstadt's other book Roughneck-Nine One and coincidentally picked this one up and got sucked in!

27495553.jpg

I enjoyed Sea Harrier Over the Falklands (he pulls no punches in his views, although it's very opinionated) and I'm now reading Phoenix Squadron which is about the MOD's run down of the Navy's carrier capacity in the 70s (and an operation in Central America that changed their view and led to the 'through deck cruisers' and Sea Harriers (as a kid I dreamed of being a FAA Phantom pilot :) ).

Band of Brothers is excellent (as is Mark Bowden's Blackhawk Down - really fills in the holes in the film...), but Pegasus Bridge is another great book by Ambrose. Focussing on the British Airborne's capture of the Pegasus Bridge and the few weeks following D-Day, what is really bleak about the book is the incredibly high casualty rate (not something you really pick up from BoB)- People die ALL the time in Pegasus Bridge, relentlessly. It really brings home the grim reality of war, rather than the excitement movies often portray.

I read Stalingrad a couple of years back (interesting, but perhaps a bit too much of a history book?) and Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker, which is a very good book about the fighting in Italy, especially at Monte Cassino. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in WW2 history - There's a stonkingly good BoB series in this book if anyone someone would make it.

Cheers.

Archived