Anyone tried "Eyeclops Night Vision Stealth Binoculars"?

DesertFoxRomel

As the title says, can anyone explain to me the performance of the said item? How well it works in the dark, how long is the range, etc. I know that it is not as powerful as Gen2 or 3 NVGs, but I want to buy and mod a pair for the fun of it.

My idea is:

Eyeclops stealth night vision goggles

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026G8SCI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002W22KBG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EQSYW52E6Z8EZ8NQDQK

-the fat

+PVC pipe fittings

=

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/11/modern-warfare-2-night-vision/

or something that looks like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442706-REG/ATN_NVMPPV14302_PVS_14_3_1_0x_3rd_Generation.html

Also, my main concern regarding the binoculars is the diameter of the round part, and does the eye pieces have lenses on them or is it just a flat window/ viewing port? The reason why I ask is to see if it is possible to shorten the over all length and to see what dimensions I can get it to.

I am actually in the process of doing this very mod to a pair of mine. I can tell you 2 inch PVC isn't big enough as the screen is too large (rectangle -round hole). The range isn't great since it is dependant on IR leds for illumination. That being said anyone else with night vision will see you a mile away with these things. You will, however, enjoy Ann advantage of about 30 feet with these, which could likely be improved with a decent flashlight with an IR filter on it.

I will put up a pic of internals tomorrow.

^ I will be waiting with baited breath for those pics. I've had this idea since 1.0 came out :D

Due to the size, I was thinking of loosely basing it off of these, since they won't fit into a 2 inch pipe like you said:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2009/02/13/armys-new-envg-predator-vision-is-here/

Got it

GPm3Z.jpg

1. Lense and screen: the two are screwed together, no real point in separating them

2. "High beams" these normally go round the lenses but they emit visible red light, I will likely get rid of them.

3. Main power switch. Self explanatory.

4. IR LEDs. The useful bits necessary for seeing

5. Battery compartment. Self explanatory. I haven't decided weather or not I want to keep the stock unit.

Hope this all helps!

Looks great. I was thinking of using a more powerful IR source that will replace the ring of LEDs around the camera lens, that will hopefully be invisible instead of having over spectrum bleeding of light like the original source.

As for the screen, is it in focus if you hold it closer to your eye than as it was in the original casing? I ask because I remember reading that it had a "Focus Knob" on top of the unit, that was supposed to adjust the focus, but I have no idea how it work, other than moving the eye piece lenses. If you can, can you turn the unit on and see the minimum distance from your eye that the screen needs to be to be able to use it? *eye relief*

As for the casing, I suppose you could use those rectangular project casings from Radioshack, Lexan polycarbonate glass for the eye piece, lens cover, and cut and shape it to resemble the ENVGs I posted.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032276

For additional IR illumination, integrate a DIY IR flashlight into the design. Then I would cover all the thin wires with thick shrink wrap, seal the unit with silicone caulk, and purge it with CO2 or N2 to prevent fogging.

The eye relief is in the area of 2-3 inches I believe.

As for elimination of the small leds and the use of cr123 I am weary of damaging the system with too much power. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to feel confident modifying things in any great magnitude.

I like the project encasing idea, I am weary that the the unit will look odd because it is taller than it is wide.

The eye relief is in the area of 2-3 inches I believe.

As for elimination of the small leds and the use of cr123 I am weary of damaging the system with too much power. I don't know enough about this sort of thing to feel confident modifying things in any great magnitude.

I like the project encasing idea, I am weary that the the unit will look odd because it is taller than it is wide.

2-3 inches of eye relief sounds great, and should make this project work well. I like it when a plan falls into place :)

Now, for the batteries, I suggest using AA batteries, as CR 123A's might fry the circuits, and its far cheaper and easier to find. You could buy a battery compartment from Radio Shack and mount it under the completed unit.

As for the rectangular casing, you could always chop off the excessively long end and cover it with Lexan, or if you are daring enough, fabricate the whole casing from scratch with Lexan, plexiglass, machined aluminum, etc. That should keep everything in proportions in terms of looks, and it should look tactictool enough if it resembles the rectangular ENVGs.

That is quite a nice project, I may consider doing this as well, but perhaps in a different looking shell. Good luck with your project!

Thanks! Unfortunately, due to budget cuts and time constraints, I cannot do the said project right away, but it looks like Matthais may beat me to the punch, which I honestly don't mind :D

Also, it says on your profile about "FF Design and Development" What is that exactly, and how do I get in the field of Design and Development :)

Archived