Need some boots

DFM56

Since my old boots pretty much fell apart on the field today, I'm in the market for a new pair. 

Does anybody know of a good side zip boot that can be had for around $100? Preferably one with a steel toe so I can also use them for work. 

Also, does anybody have the Nike SFB? I've heard some positive reviews, but I'd like to be sure before I spring the extra cash on a boot without a side zipper that won't protect my toes from 100 lb steel bars.  

http://www.militaryboots.com/mens-tactical-research-paladin

I just got these in tan for uniform usage with the Airforce, and I'm required to wear safety toe boots. Having worn them for two days that aint to bad, especially for the price. I'm still in the break in period but the only issue i have is the back end on my right foot is slightly loose, but what can yah do when it comes to varying feet sizes?

If you do order I would suggest either your running shoe size or a half size lower, as with beleville it can be hit and miss at times.

The only other side zip I know of thats worth a cuss is the Converses, though they are not cheap.

And also, avoid the belleville 610 st with side zipper, they suck so bad that i spent my own money rather than using the 610s issued to me.

The local surplus store had some Converse side zips that I really liked. Didn't have my size so I'll wait until they get some more in. Not too bad at $100, especially since I have a $50 gift card. Also biding on some belleville 220's on ebay (not side zip), so I should be all set with boots for a while. 

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I was very impressed by the quality for the price. Nice big zipper, very comfortable even when horribly oversized. They were so big that the safety toe literally wasn't covering any part of my foot  :rolleyes:

How are they after long term use? 

I run with the converse side-zips as well and they have been pretty good. I've run them pretty hard so they've come apart in some places but nothing a little shoe goo couldn't fix.

When I went to SHOT SHOW in January I showed the Converse reps my boots and they told me I must hate them to have abused them so much but I told them they were pretty good boots.

Pro's:

- Comfortable

- Easy to put on/take off

- Hold's up well to running/hiking/field use

- Lightweight

Con's

- Skin is not super-durable (there is one tear, fixed with a layer of shoe goo)

- Skin not that easy to clean, some paintball paint got smeared on my boots and put a very faint splash of pink of them

I trashed a pair of Converse in 7 months of garrison and field use. The tread wore down almost entirely after month 5. I was slipping in the mud in the field (ridiculously so) and the first chance I got I bought a pair of Blackhawks to replace them. The Converses may be great in the sandbox, but they suck in the mud.

Plasticmag, how often did you use the boots in the field? I'm looking at 5 hours or so every week (max) of light play in the woods. Lots of dead wood lying around since there is some active logging during the week, but its mostly just standard dirt/grass and some mud when it rains. Would you expect them to hold up for 10 months or so in these conditions? That would get me 2 years out of them at least, since I only play for 5 months out of the year.

The only reason I would be hesitant to buy blackhawk boots is that they aren't stocked at any stores around me, and I'm not that comfortable with buying boots without trying them on first. 

I'm having the same problem. My boots have pretty much fallen apart as of last week, looking for a replacement now too. I need something with really good ankle support though (even though generally i've found most to be pretty good) as I suffer with weak ankles, my last pair of oakleys didn't quite do it but they did last me well. I guess wanting something a bit 'taller' than your average boot isn't helping...

I wouldn't recommend Converse either, managed to trash mine too in a matter of months. Although I guess it all depends on how you plan to treat them tongue.gif

I don't treat my boots too badly. Like I said, just light use a few times a month. 

Just picked them up from the store, I'll see how well they hold up. If they're still in good condition next summer I'll be very pleased for $54. 

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know if this helps for those looking for metal safety toed boots, but I would suggest Bates' line for those who need good ankle support, and I know they make a black pair with side zips. I purchased a pair before my first deployment and was really impressed with them. Bought another pair for my second deployment and didn't wear anything else the rest of my military career. They have a lot of ankle support, and were very easy to break in (M-9 Deserts were the model I used). The only complaints are that the laces don't hold up well because they're cloth (replaced `em with GI laces), and they don't ventilate very well. I bought my girlfriend a pair of their sidezips for work because her feet were hurting, and she loves `em. Their Enforcer model of boots are sidezips, and come with a steel safety toe, for under $100 bucks.

Archived