TM meu gas efficiency

Cyclone TAW

Hey guys,

I recently got a TM meu with a PGC body kit on it (this one basically: http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=23752 ). Problem is, I have 3 magazines with it (only one has the high flow valve) and all three only get about 18-20 shots off on a single gas fill... I already ditched the 150% recoil spring, since it was causeing the cycling to fall short and therefor not load a new BB in the chamber.

Can this actually be improved somehow or just I just suck it up and make do with the 20 odd shots out of a single mag, rather then the 28 that you can squeeze in there?

I'm using begadi yellow power gas btw: http://begadishop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=1394&osCsid=cdc4291ec369949ead39fb1c50d47f2c

Silly TM made it double stack BBs in a very thin mag. This was always going to be a problem, and can even be a problem on non metal kitted 1911s made by TM. If they'd have made it a single stack mag, you'd still be getting 15 BBs and be able to fire to the end of the mag without a problem. The real gun has 7rds remember. So if you're finding this lack of ability to empty a full mag a problem, there are 2 things you can do. First, underfill the mags to a point where you know it'll lock back after the last shot. I'd say 15 would be a good number, maby less if you can cope for that certainty of it locking back. Secondly, you could ditch the platform and get a different gun. If you like the gun enough, as I do, keep it and put up with the unused mag capacity.

Poo, I was afraid that might have been the case...

And ditching the gun isn't an option, I love it to bits! tongue.gif

Will installing high flow valves (or just dremeling out the valves) just make matters worse? And will these have any effect to increase the gas-efficiency:

http://www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk/Gas%20Guns/Gas%20Pistol%20Parts/Items/Nine%20Ball%20Pack.htm

Installing high flow valves I found a bit pointless in some guns. It's literally no different. But in your case, you said 1 mag has high flow valves. So do your own testing. High flow valves do let out more gas, but because it makes the slide move faster, they also close the valves quicker. In all the guns I've installed them in, the difference has been negligible. So I don't buy them anymore. If you do decide to go for some though, it's worth checking out different makes, in person if possible. Some have bigger exit holes in the valve than normal, but the same size entrance hole. The good ones have a larger entrance hole as well as a larger exit hole. For the ones with the same size entrance hole, it's basically pointless buying them, as you could just saw a strut off your current valve and carefully reinstall it to get the same benefit.

I don't know if installing the new gas routes will make any difference. Some part of me thinks that they'll stop the gas from escaping around the blowback chamber. So in theory they should increase efficiency. If you wanted the extra FPS anyway, do some tests and let me know. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have no problems emptying a full mag (28 x 0.2g bb) and more with a single fill of gas on a stock tm 1911 meu using abbey 134a gas temp around 17 degrees c. i fill the mag till the gas just starts to escape out the fill valve if you dont you will only get around 20-24 shots off. also you need to wait for a least a second between shots, otherwise you will fall short and not empty the mag

Remember that TM designs their guns to be plastic slided used with 134a, and the TM 1911 has enough capacity to shoot over 40 rounds in that setup. This drops to 30-35 with green gas (i get exactly 32 rounds on 90% of my mags) and a metal kit further drops it to the reagon of 20. Fact of life, the 1911 magazine is so small that an airsoft version with metal slide and green gas won't have a lot of gas.

However, there are a few things you can do to help it. The biggest one is to buy the lightweight blowback housing, coupled with an aluminium slide it is only a tiny bit heavyer than the stock setup.

Also you could drill holes into the slide, but be carefull not to damage the function of it. You want it to look like a highcappa slide if you do this, not for everybody i know.

Pick your metal kit carefully, Guarder kits are the lightest(i think), and any steel kits are just silly.

You may find that certain chineese mags hold more gas than the TM made ones. My bell mag puts about 5 more rounds than my TM mags, and yet still makes the gun shoot at a slightly higher FPS with slightly harder recoil. When you change mag, change ALL your mags to the same type.

Lastly is to choose your upgrades carefully. Dont use hiflow valves, dont use a metal floating valve, use a TB barrel (marginal improvement that you wont notice :P) and an o-ring type pistoh head can aslo improve efficiancy

managed to shoot one full mag 28bb and another 26bb's from one gas fill from the same mag using abbey 134 gas temp 18 degrees c managed to do it with no cool down either between shots only cool down was filling the mag again but i used a speed loader. so it is possiable to fire many shots from one gas fill

managed to shoot one full mag 28bb and another 26bb's from one gas fill from the same mag using abbey 134 gas temp 18 degrees c managed to do it with no cool down either between shots only cool down was filling the mag again but i used a speed loader. so it is possiable to fire many shots from one gas fill

I'm guessing you are using a plastic slide with stock setup.

I want to add something to the list of things that can help your gas efficiency. The most important thing of all and i forgot it!

CLEAN YOUR GUN.

Take the slide off, wipe the sludge off the rails, spray oil into the BBU and move it about a bit, spray oil on the rails. This should be done before every game, I always do this before AND after every game.

If you want to do a deep clean, this is also a great idea and will help gas efficiency. I used to do a deep clean every 6 months when i CQBed two or three times a month, now i deep clean them once a year or even less. This does not need to be done regularly, and should NOT be done by anyone not technically minded, you could do more harm than good.

Take apart the gun, not just a field strip, a full dissasembly to component parts. Wash each part in hot water and washing up liquid. Rinse to remove the washing up liquid, oil and other gunk. Regrease* each part and reassemble.

* grease is better for the internal parts than oil, especially if you only deep clean the gun every year or more.

Depends on the leak.

If the o-ring is dried up, you can remove it and soak it in oil. If this dosent work then it needs replacing.

You can seal some o-rings with PTFE/plumbers tape. This can be difficult depending on what o-ring you are dealing with.

you can't tape the o-rings inside either valve, and the o-ring on the outside of the o-ring is very very difficult to do, you just need a little tape, line it up with the tread and pop it in.

The mag baseplate o-ring is much easyer, and is normally the one that leaks HOWEVER, on a 1911 this leaks because the screw is loose. So if you have a 1911 mag leaking from the baseplate, loosen the screw a spot then tighten it up again. Works every time :P

A mod I did to my bell 1911 was to clip the spring that acts against the floating valve in the bbu. This allowed it to close earlier and use less gas firing the bb and more to cycle the gun. FPS dropped from 330 to 300 but i got more rounds per mag (extra 10 or so)

Just an Idea

can u fire ur standard tm meu on green gas or will this just completly distory the gun after a while?

My 1911a1 has been through a silly ammount of rounds, all but one mag on green gas. The gun has been used so much the paint has worn off all the controlls. A friend of mine also had a TM 1911a1 and we could tell them apart because of the wear patterns on the grip safteys, as he is lefthanded and i am righthanded.

I calculated once that my gun has probably shot over 30000 BBs in its first year. Thirty thousand BBs in one year. On green gas.

The gun was three years old before I got my first stoppage. Now repaired, and used hard for many a CQB game, including use as a primary weapon in CQB it has probably fired coming on to 100 000, one hundred thousand. All on green gas.

I replaced the barrel with a TB barrel fairly early on, about a year old. I replaced the chewed up piston head and the cylander that i broke(not the guns fault:P) after three years. Everything else in the gun is the same as it came out of the factory, exept older. Much, much older.

So yea, its fine on green gas.

You know that piece of rubber that the gas goes through to get to the blowback chamber? If you can raise it little (adding material to the bottom), it'll increase the seal between the mag and the blowback chamber. There are different sized magazine rubbers for WAs, and they did wonders for me.

You know that piece of rubber that the gas goes through to get to the blowback chamber? If you can raise it little (adding material to the bottom), it'll increase the seal between the mag and the blowback chamber. There are different sized magazine rubbers for WAs, and they did wonders for me.

I can't remember who it was but there is a company making them for the TM highcappa, i am told they also fit the 1911 magazines. I have 10 on order currently.

Archived