tlsfx T5 reusable grenade.

greg

Hi, I'm always on the lookout for 'new' & interesting pyro. Did a search which turned up very little so hoped someone could add info. Preferably firsthand, not just conjecture or 'dynotech am bester'

The TLSfx 'T5' reusable grenade is now available for about £50 & £1.30 per reload.

It runs a similar system to the GR20, (percussion cap & banger), the current reload is a 7 second fuse, mk5, 120ish db.

Unlike the GR20, the spoon is retained & the body is solid, so I don't think it will blow your hand off, if you are stupid enough to over cook it.

Fingers crossed TLSfx can develop this product & fulfill all the promises that the GR20 has yet to deliver: As a re-loadable deployment system, it has the potential for different 'loads', ie, smoke & multibangs. Good in theory, but the GR20 has been promising this for a year & it has never come to fruition. For me this was the true appeal: versatility.

So, it appears to be a similar size & style to the GR20, but cheaper & safer.

Anyone got or seen one in action?

Greg.

Teammates have some of these. Ever so slightly bigger than a NICO flashbang, in a nice thick anodized green or black. The spoon is hinged on the upper screw in part of the grenade so it doesn't dissapear when you throw it. replacement spoon assemblies are available for around a fiver if you do manage to damage it.

Uses shotgun primers instead of the proprietary ignition caps of the GR20, these pretty much disintegrate uopn ignition so you just need to blow the remains out when reloading, and they are nice and cheap.

The 'bang' inserts are similar to GR20 ones and loading is similar too. A tool (siuppied) is needed to unscrew the bottom of the grenade to reload, we have talked to TLSFX about modifying the design of this part toallow tool free reloading.

The MK5 band is MK5, rather than the slightly louder GR20. Also, unlike the GR20 the grenade vents from the bottom only, so there is less chance of injury/fire, at our hospital site the scorching on the carpet from a TLSFX grenade is similar to that caused by a std MK5, whereas a GR20 casuses a much bigger scorch pattern.

Very nice, good weight and nice and solid. I'll be getting a few of these for sure!

For running costs, the Dynatec wins hands down with 9mm blanks costing around £30 for 100 making it 30p per use. With the cap as well it's around £1.27 per use for the T5. Other than the smaller size of the T5/GR20, i don't see a need for them except to satisfy the "oh it's cool!" brigade.

For running costs, the Dynatec wins hands down with 9mm blanks costing around £30 for 100 making it 30p per use. With the cap as well it's around £1.27 per use for the T5. Other than the smaller size of the T5/GR20, i don't see a need for them except to satisfy the "oh it's cool!" brigade.

If TLSFX come out with a full range of inserts to match their range of pyro then I can see the T5's becoming a useful item.

I'm also hoping they come out with a Mk.3-ish insert as my local CQB site won't allow even Mk.5s (damn city centre location) so we're locked into buying their lower Db pyro and nothing announces that you're about to enter a room quite like the fizzing of pyro

Other than the smaller size of the T5/GR20, i don't see a need for them except to satisfy the "oh it's cool!" brigade.

Agreed.

You have got it in the nut shell. Despite the obvious economy of the dyno, I have never liked or wanted one, as it is big & ugly. However, a reusable, pull pin device does appeal.

As soon as I saw the GR20, I just had to have one, based purely on it's portability & authenticity; an almost exact copy a U.S. grenade. (don't ask me which one :D ).

Putting aside the size/cool factor, the GR20 & T5 both share untapped versatility. The POTENTIAL for different payloads would make them a genuinely useful piece of kit:

While it is possible to get different volume charges for the GR20, there is still only one charge generally available to the UK airsofter, a 2 second delay mk5.

Possibilities are limitless. The most interesting of which, include different length fuses, multibangs (with various delays) & smoke.

The obvious benefits these bring to the user are fantastic but as yet, these imaginative ideas, remain in fantasy land.

TLD just seem to have dropped the ball, having remained static for over a year, continuing to 'talk' about the possibilities but failing delivery.

TLFX could realize & take the market here: Their product shares the gr20's portability & 'coolness' but already trumps it on price & safety.

If anyone from tlfx is reading this:

Agreed 'king' of the reusable nades is the Dyno. A horible looking bit of kit, it's comparatively cheap to run, robust & easy to load. The ability to use a variety of noise levels is great &, correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can vary the fuse time.

There are plenty of folk who would prefer a more authentic looking but equally versatile device, even if running costs are greater.

Carrying just a few 'grenades' & a variety of even smaller charges reduces weight & volume, reduces user cost & allows extended play times. It will transform the product from novelty status, to a truly versatile pyro deployment device.

GIVE US A CHOICE OF DIFFERENT LOADS!

Different fuse times & multi bangs give a huge tactical advantage as the courier doesn't have to cook & the receiver can't predict detonation time. Multibangs mean that an evacuating receiver, can't return until they are sure the nade is definitely dead.

Lower volume charges will allow use at noise intolerant venues, giving a take anywhere product.

Smoke. It's obvious really.

The 'novelty' charges promised by TLD would be handy for event organizers: higher volume charges, whistle to bangs etc can be used by responsible organizers to add atmosphere.

Greg.

Agreed, but as a Marshal, I would like to see some kind of band on a damage resistant end of the core to identify what charge it was so we can get rightous on people using the more powerful charges on "noise intolerant" sites. Personnally, I would settle for a BFG made in the same shape as the GR20/T5. As 12gauge is no longer a viable charge in 90% of sites, i don't feel it needs to be anywhere near that big any more.

Agreed, but as a Marshal, I would like to see some kind of band on a damage resistant end of the core to identify what charge it was so we can get rightous on people using the more powerful charges on "noise intolerant" sites. Personnally, I would settle for a BFG made in the same shape as the GR20/T5. As 12gauge is no longer a viable charge in 90% of sites, i don't feel it needs to be anywhere near that big any more.

Yes. You are right on all accounts.

In the case of the Gr20, you can see the charge, & check what sort it is.

Another safety concern was the length of fuse. Particularly with the 20 as you really don't want to be holding it when it goes off. Shorter fuses (.75 second) are made but not generally available in the UK. The problem being that you could (if you're a dozy, nanny state, it ain't my responsibility, H&S culture reared Brit) potentially load up a .75 & mistake it for a charge with a longer fuse. With obviously disastrous consequences.

A smaller prettier Dyno that can take 9mm & below is an obvious winner. Proven reliability & cheap running costs, coupled with a smaller more realistic look would sell extremely well, IMO. Baring in mind a GR20 will fit a pistol pouch & the T5 looks similar, Dyno will have their work cut out. However, they would 'take the market' if they could be bothered. Not sure if they could do multis or smokes but as the alternatives have done little but talk about that, it hardly matters.

Greg.

I've been running my BFG for about 2 years now and from a purely gameplay viewpoint they are great, nice and sturdy, but they look fugly as hell.

They don't fit in my frag pouches as they're chunky as hell.

I'm really hoping that this is going to be good. I really wanted one of the GR20's as they looked so good, but I've heard of so many problems with them.

Please, pretty please let these be all that I hope.

Archived