My first weapon

deeco

Hi guys i'm deeco.

i'm 13 and want to start airsoft. i am having trouble choosing my first weapon/s. i was thinking of a sniper but not sure wich one and mybe a pair of electric pistols but not sure. i have also looked at mp5's but think that they wouldnt be suitable for me.

any advice would be good.

Hmm... let me see...

I wouldn't recommend starting with a sniper rifle. It takes a lot of fine tuning for a sniper rifle to be able to outgun an AEG - this is expensive, and requires a reasonable amount of expertise to fit all the new parts. Dual wielding effectively is more or less impossible - to be able to do it you need to teach each of your eyes to move and focus individually of each other, and for your brain to basically be able to interpret this as 2 separate images (takes Apache pilots about a year to learn), so I wouldn't go for 2 pistols. If you can't do this then it's more or less the same as shooting with your dominant hand, with the other hand just trailing a bit behind and wasting ammo.

I'd try out one of the M4/16 family. If you get a sliding stock version, then it'll fit you for sure, whatever size you are. They're the most common gun so finding spare parts should you ever want to upgrade is easy, and scopes, slings, grips, bipods and mags are easy to get as well.

A good starting AEG is the CA M15A4 Sportline, with a 9.6V battery instead of the rubbish 8.4V one it comes with.

Or if you've got a bit more cash to shell out, the KWA M4 RIS version isn't too far off the best skirmishing guns when it comes out the box...

But if you especially want a MP5 series gun, I would recommend Jing Gong MP5 series. Of course there is a chance to get a lemon, but as far as I know, JGs are really good for beginners. MP5 and G36 series are good. My first gun was JG MP5A4. It has a full stock, so it's capable of storing a large type battery. Mine is still running strong, after a year and a half. But don't buy a sniper, there is too much power for beginners. Buy yourself a good, reliable gun, like CA sportline M15 as mentioned above, and good eye protection. Good eye protection is the most important thing in the airsoft.

i'm 15 and i entered the sport at just about your age, you've come to the best place to find airsoft knowledge.

starting with being a sniper really isnt a good idea,its expensive and requires lots of expertise, expertise i also lack.

i would actually suggest you try go to airsoft site and rent a few times to decide if airsoft is actually for you and you enjoy it. ask some of the players about their gear/guns and i'm sure they wouldnt mind to help you out and sharing some info.

if you are really into it and ready for an gun i'd suggest you get a good sturdy rifle that you love the look of that will last you a long time, as the others said the CA is a pretty good option. i personally would recomend spend a little more on something maybe along the lines of a G&P m4 which nowadays can actually come quite cheap around 200-350 USD. G&Ps are quality guns which are solid performers, most of all, they last. its a good investment. In addition to the gun, dont forget to buy stuff eye protection and a sturdy pair of boots, you dont want to lose an eye or ruin your day with a broken ankle.

hope this helps!

-brendan

i would actually suggest you try go to airsoft site and rent a few times to decide if airsoft is actually for you and you enjoy it. ask some of the players about their gear/guns and i'm sure they wouldnt mind to help you out and sharing some info

Sound advice, i second this. Go to a few games and rent the sites guns, universally AEGs, and get into playing. Then once youve got your play style buttoned down, then get the gun that suits you.

Not much more to add from me apart from one other thing about sniping. Apart from being an art which takes time and patence, as your 13 you will have to get a 2 tone. With a large part of sniping being the ability to stay hidden a snot green or orange rifle will stand out like the bulldogs proverbials. Also I'd second renting for your first few games. Not only will this allow you to hopfully try out several different AEGs, but you will save yourself a large chunk of money if you buy something you later find unsuitable or decide airsoft isn't for you

When I was your age I remember rushing into buying my first airsoft weapon without too much research, I got an mp5 but sooner than I should have I realized it just wasn't for me...

And of course there are so many models of guns out there, I personally wouldn't limit myself to the common mp5, if its your kinda thing i'd look for something more off the beaten track :P

Also you should probably recognize your type of playing style (its far easier to recognize your style after a good amount of skirmishes) to match your weapon, after all there's not much point in buying a sniper if you tend to get the urge to mow people down ;)

There should be a sticky on here somewhere reminding new players that you do not need to buy a gun before playing, and in fact it's almost always better if you don't.

Not having a go buddy, perfectly valid question, it just seems to get asked a lot. That said, do try to play a couple of games before you splash any cash.

Thanks for the quick response!

I stay in lanark witch is between Glasgow and Edinburgh , what are my nearsest sites that would allow me and mybe a m8 to play?

I have researched airsoft on and off for about a year and i defo think its for me.

The m15 looks perfect i dont know how i have never come across it.

Is it cheap to rent equipment from the sites?

If i buy my own gear what running cost would there be - how many bbs per game etc.

Thanks again!

Also, no one has mentioned yet that you cannot buy any airsoft gun being 13 (and in the UK, this doesn't apply elsewhere). The only way for you to get one is for an over 18 to buy it and then GIFT it to you - as in a present, no money or anything can change hands.

Read up on the VCRA.

Also, I agree with others on renting first, typically in the UK will cost about £30 - £40 for a day - and that'll get you a gun, a magazine, eye protection and typically some bbs (varies depending on the site). Also some sites don't allow under 16s to play due to insurance, so you'll need to contact the site you're planning on going to and ask.

and even if skirmising isnt my thing (wich i dont think will happen) i can just run about woods with my pals.

Please DON'T do this, if a member of the public spots you you could find yourself looking down the barrel of a real gun with the Police on the other end.

If you paid any attention to the beginning of my post you'll find you won't be able to buy an airsoft gun anyway, two tone or not, until you're 18 - which given your above statement is probably a good thing.

Please DON'T do this, if a member of the public spots you you could find yourself looking down the barrel of a real gun with the Police on the other end.

If you paid any attention to the beginning of my post you'll find you won't be able to buy an airsoft gun anyway, two tone or not, until you're 18 - which given your above statement is probably a good thing.

Reading the topic here, I assumed the implication was that his parents would buy it for him, which would (legally) bypass the issue. Although you do technically need to be 14 to own/ operate an airsoft gun, but if he's 13 now that's not too far off. Lighten up and don't be quite so nasty to new people- they don't know the rules, so tell them, don't bite their heads off.

However, as mentioned above, I really wouldn't run around with an airsoft rifle on public grounds, as it's technically illegal even if it's obviously fake.

Without wanting to start a big argument, deeco has shown no sign of having acknowledged the bit in my first post that mentions the VCRA, and then went on to make a very silly statement about running around the woods with a RIF. Couple this with them being 13 and the choice of guns in their first post and it all reeks of a little kid fresh off COD wanting to go akimbo with dual pistols and snipe people madly which, frankly, I wouldn't want on my local site. I've had enough bad experiences with players being idiots, and unfortunately, the majority of the recent ones have been younger players with two tones.

It's our responsibility, as part of the airsoft community, to advise new players about the law, and to try and make sure the person has understood it. So far, I've not seen anything to suggest that deeco has.

Also, @AirsoftBuyer1234, airsoft guns aren't obviously fake, that's the problem. To Joe Public, walking through the woods, seeing some people running around with things that look like guns, they're going to call the Police, the armed Police will come, you'll then find yourself in all sorts of trouble. Mummy will then go to the papers blaming her little angels problems with the Police on airsoft, and before you know it, we have lots of bad publicity. It's happened with video games - flight simulator a "terrorist trainer" and GTA a "murder simulator" for little 12 year olds who shouldn't have had an 18 rated game in the first place.

I'm not having a go, I just want to ensure that this sport is still around in 5 or so years when deeco will be legally old enough to purchase their own "proper" airsoft gun, and pursue the sport properly.

ok a couple of things,

this may sound very stupid and untrue but - i am actually 14 i just copied and pasted what i wrote on "theairsoftsoldier.com" before my birthaday so apoligies for any confusion

j33v3s i apologize for not replying to th legal side of your post and for making the rather silly and imature remark,

yes, the idea was that my mum or dad would buy the equipment as part of my christmas because they think i am resposible enough and they would like me to get into a sport where i can meet new people etc.

now because of what i said people will think i shouldnt play airsoft and i dont blame them but its my aim to change that

also i in no way ment to join this form and cause "heated discussions" with anyone so again i apologize.

Well, going back on topic, try looking here for sites, there are at least 4 I see directly between Glasgow and Edinburgh with others around.

As I mentioned earlier, you'll have to check if they allow under 16 year olds to play, as most of the sites I've come across won't (this is due to insurance not covering you).

Since someone is probably going to have to be taking you there, why not convince your parent to come play with you, that way they can become a skirmisher in the legal sense and can buy a nice looking gun for you to use, not a horrible two tone.

But I really would play a few times first, you might think it costs a lot, but believe me, there isn't just the cost of the gun to take into account, you'll need a few magazines, 1-2 batteries and a charger for the batteries, eye protection and boots at the very least if you're taking your own equipment. Even if you're getting a cheaper Chinese clone, the rest of it'll add up quickly!

Also, for the record, I have nothing against younger players playing, as anyone, of any age can be a nonce on site. As long as whoever it is has the right respect for the guns and isn't stupid then it's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived