Correct way to install motor connectors?

vilerk

To start off, I hate V2s and their ridiculous motor housings, but I'm the team tech, so I have to deal with it...

On two guns I'm servicing, a JG M4 and a CA MP5, I've broke all of their motor connectors because I think I didn't place the wires properly. The way I'm placing the wiring, it causes the motor to be pushed up all the way(motor height adjustment off) and rendering the motor unable to cycle.

Can anyone give me a pic of the correct configuration for the wires, or at least tell me the correct way to put them?

Thanks.

The base plate that holds the motor in place SHOULD have a route in it for one of the wires to go through, unfortunately most of the time its trial and error, but if there's just too much wire down there then pull some through into the upper receiver so you've got less to play with.

I feel your pain about the v2 gearboxes, v3 all the way!

If you've got some spare motors you can change the metal bits with the motor tabs on them easily enough, remove the springs that hold the brushes on, then remove the brushes, then get a pair of pliars and remove the spring post with brute force. Unscrew the screw if there is one, then change over the broken peice and tap the spring post back in, job done :)

To start off, I hate V2s and their ridiculous motor housings...

Seconded! dry.gif

As Tink' said, a bit of trial-and-error is required (mostly error at first!).

Only 'tip' I can offer is to route the wires up/down the grip on the opposite side to the corresponding connector tab on the motor, so you have less of a bend to make to get the connector on.

This is only really relevant to grips that have that annoying raised 'ridge' running up the back and/or front.

You can grind away any excess plastic of course, to make more room for the wires.

Thanks for the help guys!

Turns out on the JG, both wires do go on one side, so now it works perfectly. I've also replace the motor connectors with 3/16" from the local electronics shop, so everything's good now.

Thanks again!

Is there a better motor housing for the version 2?

It really is absolute ######! The version 3 has a nice cradle to go into, surely it's possible to engineer something similar for the version 2 and a suitable grip to house it in?

The number of times I've heard a nasty sound from the motor where it is not engaging the pinion gear properly due to the poor design!

Is there a better motor housing for the version 2?

It really is absolute ######! The version 3 has a nice cradle to go into, surely it's possible to engineer something similar for the version 2 and a suitable grip to house it in?

The number of times I've heard a nasty sound from the motor where it is not engaging the pinion gear properly due to the poor design!

I totally agree, but the engineering challenge is considerable.

As I understand it, M4/M16 airsoft pistol grips already tend to be plumper than their real steel cousins, in order to fit the motor inside. A few brands, VFC comes to mind, boast of pistol grips that are thinner and more R.S.-like. Don't know how they achieve that. Any which way, finding room for the motor AND a sturdy cradle inside the grip isn't going to happen soon, I fear. I'm no engineer, but I imagine you'd have to redesign the cross-section of the current motor, thereby creating proprietary parts.

OR... you could redesign the grip to accommodate the cradle, but then the outside of the grip would be totally unlike R.S.

G&P M120s were for a long time unobtanium. Finally, they are finally back in stock and I have one on order. I hope/presume it will have the screw terminals, just like the one that came in the grip of my Sentry.

Archived