Dave's Elcan Specter Clone scope video review.

Hey guys sorry couldn't find an existing reviews thread on these though I'm almost certain one exists.

This is my video review of both the 4x fixed and 1-4x adjustable zoom Specter versions. These are not the AABB ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsO3TeBXYk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiRbwtpK1hc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcbrRws9-Zk&feature=youtu.be

Any questions feel free to ask here or on the comments page :)

Edited by spetsnazdave87

Did you notice a difference in eye relief between the 1-4x and the fixed 4x version? Any issues with a shifting zero when you switch between 1x and 1x? Did it have a fatter ring around the rear lens on the 1-4x one? I believe I have heard that this is a problem with the 1-4x ones but no the 4x one.

* Eye relief difference is hardly noticeable. I can get good eye relief on my Scar H with the adjustable. I haven't noticed the shifting zero, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. The crosshair doesn't move when you switch. I'm not sure what you mean about the fatter ring... like is the lens smaller? If so I can't see any difference. I know there was a re-release of the adjustable type ones so maybe those issues have been corrected?

Cool, I was wondering why they decided to start putting magnification levers on the 4x models. Was planning on ordering one anyways; that's a nice surprise. :)

Also regarding the 1x zoom, real Specters are like that too. There is still a specific eye relief in the 1x and cannot be used like a reflex sight.

Thought I'd supplement Dave's highly informative videos there with some photography, since I received the same product (pretty much) yesterday and happen to like taking photo picture snaps.

I'm very much in a similar boat to him in that I previously purchased one of the older fixed 4x replicas with the little bit of string on the battery cap, very impressed with the optical clarity on it but decided to upgrade to a new version with the Docter. Unfortunately, it would appear that I didn't get lucky as Dave has by paying for the fixed sight and ending up with the variable. Either that or they are actually all mislabelled and mine has simply broken in transit because the lever underneath still moves. Either way, I'd have left mine on 4x all the time anyway and used the docter for CQC, seeing as that's what we're getting in for the L85s now-a-days.

Everything you get in the box:

P1020729.jpg

I get the feeling they may have copied the RS in this respect, not that I own a real Spectre, just a hunch. Bit like those clone SERPAs you see with the packaging that clones the real stuff down to the warranty cards and the fonts used. Anyway, there's everything in there you'll need (probably even some stuff you don't) and the nylon case is surprisingly high quality. Given that nobody's going to use it because they're going to mount it on a gun, zero it and leave it on there (or simply transfer it straight from one rifle to the next) it feels like a bit of a waste, but it makes you feel wealthy when you're doing the unboxing and that's always nice. Certainly protects the optic during shipping and the fact it's also inside that plastic bag is another very large plus point, because there's few things worse for glass aiming devices than moisture ingress.

P1020731.jpg

The red dot, doesn't blow your mind or anything but it does the job of giving you something to switch to when you get up close. The thing I really like is that it comes supplied with the 20mm mount as well as the Spectre mount, so if you wanted to only use the irons that are already on the primary glass you're actually getting two optics for your money with this package.

P1020740.jpg

P1020736.jpg

The surface finish wasn't entirely perfect on mine when I received it, but I suppose if I was working in a Chinese factory getting paid in peanuts I might not exactly treat the products like my first born child, it's nice enough anyway, good matte black. The trades are more cleanly done this time around and they do look good it has to be said, especially if you're someone going for some kind of SF loadout.

The wire going to the battery cap seems extremely robust, as do the retaining pieces keeping the loops at the end together, massive step forward from the razor thin piece of string that was on there previously. Mine fell off after 5 minutes in a light breeze, pretty sure they'd compacted some dust to produce those.

As with the previous version however, I personally think the clarity of the optics is fantastic, the reticle itself is sharp as knives and as dave mentions in his video, the eye relief is... well... a relief, certainly when you're used to using ACOGs that require you to jam your socket against the eyepiece.

P1020733.jpg

The docter mount is rock solid and as you can see the BUIS can be mounted in 3 positions since there are 3 sets of threaded holes. This I am very pleased with because at the moment the irons are (weirdly) mounted in the position which would require the operator to cant his weapon over to the right, not a natural firing position at all for a right handed shooter. My BUIS will very shortly be getting moved across to the other side to allow for usage when canting the weapon to the left. Infinitely more comfortable and intuitive that way.

Edited by CKinnerley

That's very interesting Chris, yours looks exactly the same as mine, down to all the bits that came with it (incidentally I now intent to use that nylon case as a camera pouch).

Mine definitely is adjustable magnification- you can see the upper rail and front sight on 1x, and 4x is like a regular acog sight.

Possibly they might be starting to put levers on standard 4x scopes for the look... this would explain the mix-up.

Thanks for the photos though. Keep an eye on my channel, I'm going to be doing a killflash how-to in the very near future.