Classic Army, A dying Giant?

hchiyan

getting a smidge back on topic here, my last 3 aeg's have been Classic Army's(CA AUG, CA AR-10, and my prized possession; my CA249 Para which is now worked to the teeth and is a beast). I am a devout supporter of CA. I have had nothing short of amazing experiences with all of my CA products.

I despise CA. This is because both experiences I have with them, both at completely different times, were disasters.

First was a CA m14a4 Tac carbine I bought. Gears went in it right away, when the store fixed it another gear went, then we said screw it and I swapped it for a KWA m4(this was right when the first ones were being released). Havent looked back since.

The second time I dealt with CA was when my piston wore out in the KWA m4 I previously mentioned(This was much later, and it was running a 11.1v lipo the whole time. The CA for the record wasnt running a lipo when it had its issues). I replaced the KWA piston with a CA reinforced piston. Also swapped the 11.1v lipo for a 7.2v lipo. Fast forward to next game in the field. First scenario, about 30-50 bbs in, the piston strips. Brand new piston, under 100 rounds, stripped.

2 CA products, 2 miserable failures.

Could these have both been complete flukes? Possibly. But I don't dare touch them again because i don't want to test the third time is a charm theory, especially when there's manufacturers like KWA and TM out there.

I own and have used stuff from all over the Map. I am a really nit picky guy, and CA is just not my kind of company. I still have 2 CA guns, (CA X series and MP5) and both of them are out classed by other manufactures. Nothing they offer is really unique either. I liked that they hit the SCAR market so early, but comparatively their product was trash and poorly executed. I guess that the best way I can put it, everything they make has a competitor at a similar price point that is higher quality.

What CA does have, right now, is a huge distributor (SpartinImports) and from that, an amazing marketing team. Those guys could sell the worst products and still get by. It is alot easier in the US for a shop owner to order an OK'ish CA M4 than a great G&P M4, both about the same price.

they have warehouses in Germany, the US and around, so just do it! They're the best packs in existence for airsofting, and they're so cheap you dont' even feel bad for ordering INTO HK :P

Eh, I haven't visited ALL the local RC shops yet (on Kwong Wah street that's only a small selection...yet those are the ones I'm most familiar with O_o); so will try that before resorting to ordering online like the rest of you unfortunate people :) (I kid! :P)

Sorry again for the late reply and the off-topic-ness! Late reply again because of digest issues; I hope you guys are okay with yours.

i feel ur pain intinerious, i spent 20 minutes systematically looking through each RC shop in the area... ended up using g&p lipos whose OEM is intellect

PM in-coming, will talk to you more about batteries but I don't want to derail this thread longer!

Back to the main point; I went to Kwong Wah again with a friend and we saw around 10 people in there. But the peeps inside are actually from the Mainland; I know it's wrong to stereotype but from the clothing and facial structure I can tell they aren't local Hong Kongers. Therefore, those of you who've mentioned +10 people in the CA shop in Hong Kong probably witnessed a bunch of Mainlanders walking in to take a look + buy stuff.

From what I can tell a LOT of Mainland people come over here to buy military equipment and airsoft goods (but I dunno where they put them as airsoft is illegal in China!) and those that have the capacity to spend on such items are generally very rich and not so knowledgeable in English (my Putonghua sucks but the tourists don't know...every time at Kwong Wah I get some Mainlander asking me for directions to certain shops and I always ask if they can speak English...they can't :)).

Maybe on Chinese forums (assuming the tourists even bother reading them, and I wouldn't know either as I only visit Arnies and ASM as a member) talk about CA quality is non-existent or good but I'm pretty damn sure they don't visit international / UK / US forums (no English remember?) so any talk about how CA quality is good or not (no offence gunnedxdownxx and ShadowBolt, most of the CA quality opinions I've read on forums show that it's more bad than good!), they probably won't know.

Not only that but compared with other shops CA's shop interior actually looks clean and very professional; the layout conveys a feel of something like an Apple store of airsoft to me; being there's a LOT of room inside the store; very clean white tiles; central booth at the back where you can pay and test out guns, etc. Compared to other stores (Magpul's new retail store not included) CA's shop seem to look a tad more 'professional' than other stores as they only carry their own products. In addition to being located at a very popular junction near the airsoft shop area I guess that's what lead people oblivious to CA's reputation (Mainlanders and newbies alike) in to take a look and maybe buy something at their shop.

Two of my friends bought the earliest M4 and MP5 models, must have been in 2002 or 2003. Had a lot of issues with them. Also seen a CA53 front end crack which seems to be pretty common. I treat mine carefully, just in case.. Back when me and my friends did russian impressions we bought the CA "AK74" magazines (ie plastic ones) and they were horrible. Waste of money, incredibly fragile plastic and toy-like feel. You get what you pay for I guess as they were the cheapest at the time.

That said, two other friends have bought new generation CA guns, one M14 and one sportline M4 and they have worked fine, especially the sportline ,great performance for the price. He has only had it for 6 months though so can't exactly judge its durability. I don't think anyone that buys a CA will be dissapointed, they shoot fine, are full metal and will hold up decently, so most are probably satisfied. I think one would be even more satisfied with a different brand though.

CA just doesn't innovate enough for me to be a big supporter. King Arms have some sweet models like the FAL or Galil and their M4 externals are far nicer than CA in my opinion. Same goes for pretty much all other brands, I rarely see a reason to buy a CA over TM, VFC, ICS, A&K, KA etc.. unless CA happens to be what your local store carries and you don't want to shop online.

Has anyone put any thought into why CA AEGs seems so unpopular with Hong Kong retailers? WGC and Redwolf has a tiny tiny stock, while eHobbyAsia and War 4 Toys has none. I pretty much have to turn to US, UK or Swedish retailers when looking for CA parts for my CA53 and A&K M249.

I have to say despite not having brought one for 4 or so years all of mine worked great. I still have my CA G36K and it works fine, its fairly accurate and still puts out 340 fps. That having been said however I do hear more bad than good about them these days.

I've found them to be a bit hit and miss. Nowhere near as bad as my experiences of ICS (every ICS gun bar one were just pants!) but I wouldn't put them up there with G&P and G&G. A player at my site bought my CA B&T MP5A5 off me as I wasn't using it and not gone wrong at all. It runs at 300 FPS and has more than enough range.

Nothing they do interests me though so I don't really touch them these days.

Hmm. :) I've never been dissapointed with a ICS, that said, it is a VERY small sample size, owned 2 myself (AR15 and L85A2) and a friend owned 1 (AR15). ICS as a company are a lot more innovative than CA so I keep rooting for them :) Have tried, loved and intend to buy their SIG and new MP5 with burst in the future.

Not only that but compared with other shops CA's shop interior actually looks clean and very professional; the layout conveys a feel of something like an Apple store of airsoft to me; being there's a LOT of room inside the store; very clean white tiles; central booth at the back where you can pay and test out guns, etc. Compared to other stores (Magpul's new retail store not included) CA's shop seem to look a tad more 'professional' than other stores as they only carry their own products. In addition to being located at a very popular junction near the airsoft shop area I guess that's what lead people oblivious to CA's reputation (Mainlanders and newbies alike) in to take a look and maybe buy something at their shop.

I did notice that the store has the little Quality Tourism Assurance yadayada badge on the glass door unlike every other airsoft store. Well, they're C&S is probably one of the best in the are, too bad they only sell CA ._.

I think the problem with CA's bad rep came from very iffy quality on their earlier models (my AUG A2 ate it'w own wiring) and then compounded by hear'say on the internet.

Shame really, as they do have some interesting licenses, my favorite being their DS Arms SA58 OSW.

As a premium brand, if you put it up against G&P, VFC or even King Arms, I would never pick CA ahead of any of those.

I think it would do much better if it concentrated itself against the ICS's and the SRC's in the mid range market.

And the CA shop??? of the few times that I've actually been in there to browse (well over 15mins) I've never been approached by shop staff with offers of assistance.

Maybe it's because I don't look like a Mainlander with deep pockets :D

I think that hits it in the head, people who see their M4's (their odler modesl particuarly) were a bit rubbish, the new sportlines, by most accounts are fairly decent. But their newer guns, thei box mags etc are all good quality, I think they're stagnating in research, I mean, what about their FAL range? Infinitely superior to the KA and ARES lines in design, yet, they only made 2 models, why not go the whole hog and put that little bit extra and make L1A1, FN FAL, Para etc?

I did notice that the store has the little Quality Tourism Assurance yadayada badge on the glass door unlike every other airsoft store. Well, they're C&S is probably one of the best in the are, too bad they only sell CA ._.

Not too sure about C&S, but in terms of eagerness to sell you stuff I'd say Cop9Gun (who sells ACM products only at a ridiculously inflated price...) wins hands down out of all the stores in Hong Kong.

Never noticed the Quality Tourism thing though, good eye :D

I think the problem with CA's bad rep came from very iffy quality on their earlier models (my AUG A2 ate it'w own wiring) and then compounded by hear'say on the internet.

Shame really, as they do have some interesting licenses, my favorite being their DS Arms SA58 OSW.

As a premium brand, if you put it up against G&P, VFC or even King Arms, I would never pick CA ahead of any of those.

I think it would do much better if it concentrated itself against the ICS's and the SRC's in the mid range market.

And the CA shop??? of the few times that I've actually been in there to browse (well over 15mins) I've never been approached by shop staff with offers of assistance.

Maybe it's because I don't look like a Mainlander with deep pockets :D

Those staff at CA (and almost all the other stores) just sit behind a counter talking trash until they either spot that you want to ask them a question or you directly approach them about it. I've asked about getting CA replacement parts (externals) for my crappy CA HK416 and the staff are actually oblivious to my questions (it's their own damn gun FFS....) and when they DO understand they tell me they can't sell me parts right away and if I leave them a pre-order of sorts they'll "try" to get me that part in around 6 months or more (I think I wanted either the CA HK416 barrel or the gas block). Ridiculous I'd say, considering they don't even do a full set of spare parts for their guns other than stuff like RISs and iron sights.

G&P doesn't even do retail sales (so they tell me via email..but I've heard people going up to the warehouse to buy 4+ AEGs before personally, not under a company name or for a company) and yet you can get almost every imaginable parts for their AEGs (well they mostly sell M4s..) at retail stores in Kwong Wah and also at Ehobby and Redwolf. Same with King Arms although the selection is lower.

G&P doesn't even do retail sales (so they tell me via email..but I've heard people going up to the warehouse to buy 4+ AEGs before personally, not under a company name or for a company) and yet you can get almost every imaginable parts for their AEGs (well they mostly sell M4s..) at retail stores in Kwong Wah and also at Ehobby and Redwolf. Same with King Arms although the selection is lower.

As far as I know, you can buy directly from Real Sword and Deep Fire, I don't see how they wouldn't mind people travelling to the warehouses and buying directly from the company

As far as I know, you can buy directly from Real Sword and Deep Fire, I don't see how they wouldn't mind people travelling to the warehouses and buying directly from the company

I know about RS, never knew about Deepfire :P But the main point is G&P doesn't even have a physical store of sorts (at least not "official" since they told me they don't do retail) and yet you see a ton of G&P parts in Kwong Wah street; makes fiddling G&P guns less of a hassle than CA....which goes back to my point that although CA is Hong Kong (I think Cybergun now? XD) and they make a selection of guns; the lack of individual parts for their guns and the staff's lack of knowledge on their company products seem shocking to me :P

I've been curious about this too... I guess my experiences aren't exactly mainstream. I've had my M15A4 since 2006 and Ca36K since 2005 and while every other AEG I've gotten has come and gone, these have stayed with me the whole time. They're both stock and never messed with, the only thing that's ever happened was scratches on the body of the M15 (ok, paint wasn't the greatest).

basically, early CA modesl were VERY hit and miss, well designed, but often poorly executed. They got by agaisnt competitors like VFC/KA/G&P by producing guns first, SCAR beign a good example. But, in recent years, they've upped their quality, sought licence agreements with various RS companies, and manufacturing and QC has improved, however, design, has stagnated, as USCMCorps pointed out a prime example would be the LWRC Licence, they hardly capitalised on that, they could of got out all of the sought after LWRC guns with exclusive licence and profits, they simply haven't.

Are they dying? Hardly, they're owned by CG (plenty of funds) they're selling en masse to Spartan Imports and they have a good basic line of guns, sportlines etc.

They could decline and fall away with a lack of innovation or development, or, they may push forward again, leading the way with well designed, well thought out and 'first' replicas.

Well i wish them luck, but on a local airsoft forum in cantonese, everyone seems to have lost trust in them, i mean some guy bought a CA m1911 and reviewed it and he basically got flamed about how he wasted his money and how it'll break in like 10 mags and stuff like that, but i hope they get back on track i mean they did make airsoft quite big....

Well i wish them luck, but on a local airsoft forum in cantonese, everyone seems to have lost trust in them, i mean some guy bought a CA m1911 and reviewed it and he basically got flamed about how he wasted his money and how it'll break in like 10 mags and stuff like that, but i hope they get back on track i mean they did make airsoft quite big....

I've read that local wargame forums are basically a flame-fest for whatever you post. It's a good thing that I can't read Chinese (okay Canto or Putonghua, whatever :P) well, I've only visited one major local forums to look through second and stuff (yay for pics :D).

Actually an airsoft friend of mine used to only visit local forums from what I remember before I showed him this one. He stopped visiting the local forums soon after he found that Arnies is MUCH MORE resourceful and the general attitude is much better (actually better than anywhere else from my experience) than the local forums.

Archived