CO2 pistol mags

Stuey

I was looking at CO2 40 mm grenades just now and a thought occurred to me - why has no one made CO2 GBB mags that can be refilled using one of these? It would have all the convenience and ease of propane/144a but with CO2 performance! Metal slides all round even in the winter!

Am I missing something? Obviously the mag would have to be stronger than one made for propane/144 but surely the concept is the same? This would be a better way to do CO2 than faffing about with the 12g capsules.

Tell me why I'm wrong! :D

Cost and design.

Moscarts have no need for power regulation, they have one big valve that dumps all the gas in one shot which obviously isn't suitable for gas mags, it's a very simple design really and you don't have the worry of the hammer being strong enough to open the valve.

Moscarts due to their nature of being round things are pretty easy and cheap to produce on a suitable CNC lathe from bar stock which immediately gives them a stength advantage over pot metal and for a gas mag to be charged with unregulated liquid Co2 you really need something much stronger than the average pot metals for it to be safe, milling a gas magazine isn't impossible but due to the shape, position of all the threads/cutouts it's not something that is simple or cheap to do.

Refillable 12g sized Co2 cartridges already exist, I don't know of anyone who currently produces them but they have been made and pop up on ebay now and then, due to the rarity and the amount of people after them they can go for £30 - £40 each iirc and more for the filling adapters to actually use them.

Why has no-one made a mag that would hold 850-900psi when most manufacturers barely manage to keep 100-120psi from propane in?

The numbers needed just don't scale that well, and when co2 comes in steel tubes anyway its a lot easier just to make a magazine that can house said tubes.

Yeah, the old refillable Brocock ones I imagine.  What I'm saying is add another valve to the bottom so they could be refilled whilst in a mag and used in any CO2 airsoft gun.  That would be nifty.

That would be pretty easy to do I imagine provided a decent fill valve was used (Madbull steel ones come to mind) and could be done for quite a low price in high grade materials, plus it would remove the need for any kind of valve at the neck end if it were to be filled once in the mag.

Just a 12g sized CO2 container, permanently inside a GBB mag with a fill valve on. Job done?

Exactly, iirc the ones that have been done before only held 8g of Co2 but having a fill valve in the base would allow it to be topped up like a normal gas mag, I doubt there is a simpler and cheaper way to do it safely than that could be to be honest.

Whether or not anyone will ever make something like that is another matter though.

C02 in the winter would be just as bad, if not worse, than green gas. If you get liquid C02 into your GBB it'll most likely freeze up any o-rings it comes into contact with and turn the gun to poop. Now, instead, I'd rather put high pressure air into GBB mags. SLP tanks are around 250psi output so you can probably make that work if need be.

Archived