Paypal - How to best accept a large payment and keep it?

Tommygunn

I'm on the cusp of making a sale to the tune of US$3485 to a guy in Texas. Problem is, is that he says he does not have the cash to do a bank transfer and wants to fund it with his credit card via Paypal.

Now, you hear all these horror stories of people defrauding a seller by saying the item is not delivered, doing a chargeback etc etc, so my question is, how do I ensure that I get to keep my money once the item has left my hands?

How can I avoid any problems?

One thing I heard was that once I receive the money to my Paypal account I immediately forward it to my bank account to avoid any nasty reversals of payment and only send the item after the money has reached my bank account.

Is this foolproof? If it goes wrong could I still be stripped of the money by some evil Paypal means?

Your advice please.

Cheers,

Tom.

I did exactly as you described when I sold my homemade motorbike; as an extra layer of security I didn't use my main bank account for PayPal, but this is back when it was easy to get no fee checking. If a snatchback occurs when there's no money in your PayPal account, can they still try to retract a bank transfer?

If a snatchback occurs when there's no money in your PayPal account, can they still try to retract a bank transfer?

Not exactly retract a transfer but your PP account goes into negative.

Which means you won't be able to use it until an open claim is resolved.

In the OP's scenario, buyer claims no delivery or item not as described, files a dispute with PP, your PP account goes into negative, PP then sides with the buyer, refunds them, will then recover the funds from seller via debt collection or similar.

I had a high value transaction a few years ago, sold £5K worth of pro Canon photo gear to a guy in Italy. 

Shipped it via FEDEX and made a video of it working perfectly along with footage of the S/N before boxing up the package.

Luckily, the buyer was honest and was very pleased with the who deal.

The best way is to document everything, photograph yourself boxing the item up, photograph it with it in the box ready to be shipped, use shipment tracking and ESPECIALLY use signature confirmation. 

This.

However please note that even so, it is very easy for the person to deny it is their signature, in no small part thanks to courier companies using electronic signatures; Zorro signs for every package.

If the person decides to do a chargeback, there is virtually nothing you can do...it is the bane of retailers' existence, and so just be very careful. If at all possible hold out for cash face to face, minimal risk. Credit cards give the buyer the power, cash gives you the power.

Inari,

Cash would be great but I'm in Italy and he's in the US.

In any case I turned down his payment option and he withdrew.

Tom.

Aye, sorry I knew the circumstance...I just explained it badly. What I meant was that if at all possible deal in person, with someone closer to you. I know the item is hard to shift, and therefore international is virtually your only hope.

I think there are courier services that act as middlemen i.e. will deliver item on receipt of cash, as well as services that will hold the item until cash/payment clears, and then release the item to the person. Those kinds of options are best for when you do eventually manage to sell the item

Archived