Custom Glock Ironsights

xcalibur324

Hey, so the basis of this project was pretty much just me wanting to differ from the rest of the crowd, and to start my DIYing career off small. I have a few Glocks lying around, and it bugs me how all of the sights are pretty much the same. And most of the aftermarket sights that I could buy are very spendy (being $70-$80). I decided in my engineering class at school that i should just buck up and make my own. Our school has a 3-D printer that i could utilize and hopefully come out with a few free prototypes. So here's what i came up with!

I decided i liked the "Ghost Ring" Setup just because it helped me acquire the front sight relatively easy and gave me the option of adding fiber optic filaments if i chose.

Need help deciding what materials to print it out of thought, any suggestions would be appreciated.

here's the original white dot model

IRONSIGHTR_zps13e1be17.jpg

This one is an open back for fiber optics, so it can absorb more light (in theory, i'm just guessing)

IRONSIGHTFIBEROPTIC_zpsbdacd96d.jpg

And this one is my favorite, the fiber optic filament holes are slotted to absorb light so they don't need an open back. Guges Mk3 helped me with this idea.

IRONSIGHTCHANNELFIBEROPTIC_zps2baf960c.j

I'd like to hear feedback as to what i could change, or what people would like to see. I personally would like a small rail with sights built in for aimpoint T1's and micro red dots.

I fear the last one would be too structurally weak due to the cuts.

Depending on the material used for printing, structural integrity wouldn't be an issue, would it? Unless you dropped the pistol, which can have far worse issues than a broken sight!

• 2 weeks later...

please please please make a ghost ring setup for a 1911.

and could you do one like so? (the cut for paint in a circle that is, not the wings)

we-gbb-pvirus_9_mark.jpg

I dont have a 1911 so i don't have the dimensions to do so. If you can give me the measurements of the sights on a 1911 ill surely deliver

OT could you prototype a version for TM Glocks (bbu screws into the underside of the rear sight) that would surely make money on shapeways!

Jim

I only have KSC glocks atm, once again ill need the dimensions . But that sounds like a next step sort of thing, ill keep it in mind.

I managed to find Filaments for about $2/ft so i went along with that, now all i need to do is get them printed out and see how they work!

Archived