WE Gen.1 M4 Magazines - Bonding Pot Metal

bankz5152

Hey Chaps,

Need a little advice here. I currently have around 8 Gen.1 WE Mags which are all leaking rather badly from that silly back plate design. The plan is to upgrade to Gen.II innards when funds allow but would like to get these working in the mean time.

Anyone had any success using a bonding agent, glue or even welding the back plate shut to create a leak free seal?

My first idea is to use to remove the backplate rubber seal and then seal Tigerseal. I mean this stuff holds body work together on cars so should be up to the task. Anyone got any other ideas?

Uh, aren't gen 1 mags the ones that blow up? Gen 2 mags have an internal reinforcement but still use the wonky gasket while 3 (current) uses o-rings and should be what you're after. As for sealing them, black RTV silicone sealant works in a pinch but I've observed the pressurized silicone oil in green gas eats it away in time which is why I've switched to latex based sealants.

edit:

Forgot to put how. Disassemble completely including the gasket from the plate and clean with acetone. Apply sealant to plate then install gasket on plate. Put sealant on gasket and a thin layer on the mag then put the plate on. Tighten screws evenly (not one completely then to the next) to squeeze out excess sealant and air bubbles. Let cure 24h before applying pressure.

Not sure on that one, but this one definitely did:

sideview.jpg

I can't remember exactly how to tell 1 and 2 apart, just that it's to do with the mold seam at the bottom of the gas tank near the fill valve. One has a line parallel and the other perpendicular, you'll just have to check the earlier pages of the review thread to be sure which is which.

edit:

just checked, parallel with the mag is gen 1.

DSC_0647.jpg

and perpendicular is gen 2

DSC_0646.jpg

The upper-lower design ( I refer those as Gen 2 ) mags are virtually trouble-free.

I got like........ 8 of them now and the my old gen mags are "chopped" for extra mag parts............ tried sealing them with blue RTV but leak again after few months, not sure if I did the job bad or what...

They will eventually be upgraded. Its mainly so I have some mags for the time being.

Got one mag all cleaned up with acetone, used tiger seal to bond the gasket to the plate then more to bond to the main shell.

Should hold for a while at least.

One of the mags was an original gen1!

On my phone, my spelling will suck.

Seeing those pics of the exploding WE gas mags reminds of the exact reason why people in the know in the RS world say that the magazine and mag well are NOT supposed to be grips. Catastrophic failures with rounds in mags aren't common and while they rarely happen, you don't want your hand anywhere near the magazine and especially not grasping it. WE … so real it'll blow your hand off. :o ;)

Makes sense!

Repaired one the other night, tested it last night. Holding gas with zero leaks! So that one is doing nicely.

Did 3 more last night but I found on two of them it was almost impossible to screw some of the back plate screws back in! So more tigerseal went in there... lol

Theses only really have to last me around 3 weeks until places are restocked. If my 416 ever arrives that is....

Archived