KJW Glock 19 only fires 2 rounds before running out of gas

Revengeful_Lobster

KJW Glock 19, plastic slide, Japan version. Using 134a since higher pressure gasses aren't readily available (I'm not even sure if they're legal). 

I've had the gun for barely a month, and I've consistently had issues. The hammer had abnormal amounts of wear--as if someone took a metal grinder to it--so I replaced the hammer. No change. I also noticed the back of the carrier inside the slide had a dent where the hammer disk is striking it. 

As for the mags, I have a KJ mag and a Guarder mag. Neither of them seem to fill. No hissing sound whatsoever. I can hear gurgles in the can for about 2 seconds and that's it. 

I replaced the KJ mag's fill valve with a WE valve and put in a high-output valve. Now I get 10 solid shots followed by about 15 shots that only cycle the slide about halfway. 

The Guarder mag I left alone and it only gives me 2 shots.

When I vent either one of these mags after filling, not much gas comes out at all. My 1911 mags vent more gas under the same conditions. 

I'm running out of ideas...

1. Make sure your gas can is new/full or that it fills your 1911 mags normally.

2. KJW mags are silent fill and don't hiss when filling. Just hold it there for awhile.

3. The wear from the hammer on the carrier is normal and happens in the tokyo marui original too.

4. Is your magazine catch worn? Does your mag wobble? The mag needs to seal against the loading nozzle. Try pushing your mag up as you shoot, does it help?

5. Check your piston/nozzle. make sure there is a good seal and that there are no cracks in the nozzle.

1. 1911 mags fill normally with the same can.

2. Held it for 30 seconds and still only get a short burst of gas if I manually depress the valve.

3. Hammer wear isn't normal. Compared it with a friend's KJ G19 that is over a year old and it did not show any signs of wear. 

4. Mag catch not worn, but magazines do wobble. I'll try pushing the mag.

5. No cracks, unsure about seal.

Try submerging the mags in room temperature water after you fill them, that'll show you if there are any leaks. Unfortunately blasting them with a hairdryer is likely to have made any leaks worse...

Do your mags work in your friend's gun?

Weird, It doesn't seem to vent gas from the gun so seals are ok, it could be something to do with you bbu coming into contact with your hammer, so the cycle action is restricted especially with the low power if duster gas. Try taking out your bbu and making sure it is put in place correctly. If it is then it could be a burr or imperfection in the metal so a filing down of that area could help.

Trigger bar is straight, but I noticed that the slide becomes difficult to cycle while I am holding down the trigger.

Here are pictures showing abnormal wear on the hammer, rear chassis, and piston chassis.

http://i.imgur.com/FiscuWl.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/a3JsIMj.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/TVaTWEa.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like your hammer locks in place too high and hits your BBU when it returns to battery. Try and cycle it by hand and feel if anything catches when the slide goes to battery. You should be able to feel it.

Try and fit your slide to another G19 and see if you have any gas problems. As I see it, it's the trigger mechanism that causes your problem. Something is way of with that wear to your BBU and hammer.

A worn trigger sear could be the cause of the hammer sitting up too high when cocked. And could cause similar wear to your BBU on the underside at least.

A quick possible solution, try and file down a bit extra on this spot and put the old hammer back. Could also be a solution to your problem.

post-99256-0-40718700-1424223528_thumb.jpg

Actually, try this...

Fill magazine with 0.5 seconds of gas. Them dump the gas out by pressing the valve.

Then fill it up completely until you can't hear anymore gas coming from the bottle.

I found that having the magazines and gas at the same temperature causes issues. So by dumping some gas from the mags you slightly cool them down and making the gas from the can able to load the magazine fully.

Well this is just starting to me off. I got an enhanced loading nozzle and bulb valve set hoping that would fix the issue, only to find that there's no screw for me to use. When I look at the diagram in the KJ manual, it shows a bulb valve and top-mounted screw. What I got in my KJ is most definitely not that at all. Instead of a screw I have a lateral pin that goes all the way through the cylinder, with a blue arrow-shaped thing that's supposed to be the valve. 

And now my sear won't properly engage when the trigger is depressed. Is KJ just a *suitcase* brand or what? 

You can spend millions of dollars getting it to work, but in the long run buying a new one could be the best solution financially. upgrade and replacement parts are usually expensive.

Sounds like your hammer trouble finally wore out the BBU. The worn out dent on the bottom of it depresses the hammer and locks it it place. Usually it has a little bevel to ensure that happens and it seems to have been worn completely off.

Guarder bases their internal nozzle design on TM's design which is different from KJW's.

KJW uses that very design in their 1911/Hi-capa's as well. In my experience it works better than TM's and the red nozzles are a tad stronger.

Archived