Calle Propane, no good for Airsoft?

Got Wood?

Hi guys, for a couple of years I've been using the old 'fill your own' Colemans propane bottles. I have a 13kg Calle tank in the garden, and a fleet of 7 Colemans bottles.

However, over the last few months I've found that I'm getting no reward for using propane like this.

Recently, all 5 of my MP7 mags were leaking. So I took them apart, couldn't get them to seal again. My local tech fixed them up with a neat little trick. But ever since, my shots have been rather weak out of the gun. Any, of my guns in fact. The tank is about half full still, so I'm not short on gas either.

When the Mp7 mags were leaking I thought I'd get a regular green gas to store them filled with. But I've found this gas instantly fixes the low power problem, and also, instantly stops any leaks from occurring. Today I put a full load of propane in each, fired, then the mags all leaked. Oil and propane didn't fix it, but the green gas stopped it instantly.

Has anyone found the same as me? I'm not sure if Calor have started doing something differently, I can't imagine they have, but I'm finding it very odd that my propane is weaker than green gas, and instantly causes leaking?

Propane is raw gas, your green gas is mixed with silicone so when you fill it with Greengas it will keep your seals lubed up but using Propane on its own will kill your seals and your gun in time. If you really want to use propane the you need an adaptor which lets you add silicone to the nozzle, so when you fill it will Add the silicone. Depending on makes some propane can be mixed and not pure..

That is unusual. It could just be that the GG mixed silicone is sealing tiny leaks where the dry propane is not.

Im running FloGas propane which has been fine, just got to lube up the seals every now and then

On my phone, my spelling will suck

It's going to sound strange but are you 100% sure that the calor stuff is pure propane? The low power issue to me sounds like that it's a propane butane mix or something with a lower pressure.

Based on you saying green has fixed it I doubt it's a temperature thing so I'm thinking the gas itself is off.

Good luck

To be honest I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure how the local DIY shops plumb their set up but I suppose it's possible that they're using a more mixed dose of gases. As they're really for BBQs etc it would be perfectly fine on propane/butane mix.

I'll keep on the green gas for a few months and come back to this load of propane, see if it still causes issues once the mags have been run on cleaner gas for a while

To be honest I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure how the local DIY shops plumb their set up but I suppose it's possible that they're using a more mixed dose of gases. As they're really for BBQs etc it would be perfectly fine on propane/butane mix.

I'll keep on the green gas for a few months and come back to this load of propane, see if it still causes issues once the mags have been run on cleaner gas for a while

I'd imagine they don't fill them right, even if it was a propane butane mix a gas gun won't work on vapor.
  • 5 weeks later...

When you say low power output, could you give more details? 

I've been running on Propane for 5 years without issue (Colemans, fresh bottles, add silicone every now and then). 

It sounds like 1 of 2 things:

Wrong mix, or running out of Propane

I have, as a test, used a propane/butane mix. The gun was very lower on power, and barely cycled. Was more of a fart than anything. When my tanks start running empty, there is low power coupled with inconsistency. 

Or try a fresh bottle of Colemans?

Archived