Tokyo Marui Sig552 Review

HPIM0118.jpg

I was looking for a more conventional weapon after owning my P90 TR, by conventionl I mean no 11inch long magazines, and no bullpup design. Don't get me wrong I loved my P90 and its bullpup design, but the magazines were just too hard to hold. My solution, trade it away. The day after I posted my thread, I had a new personal message. A member by the name of Buttons asked if I was interested in a mint condition Sig 552, and I was. Fast forward to today, a little less then a week from when Buttons first contacted me, and now I have my Sig.

First Impressions-

My first impression when I opened the box was holy ###### there sure are a lot of packing peanuts in here! After throwing them away, I took out the gun. The first thing I noticed was the weight, its quite heavy for its small size. I found the 2 magazines buttons included, a standard, and a hi cap magazine. They were hooked together, and I had no idea how to take them apart, but more on that later. The stock was folded up, so I unfolded it, I shouldered the gun, and could already tell I was going to like it!

Overview-

Now for a more in depth overview. I had the gun out of the box and in my living room. First thing I did was take some pictures (the pictures are in the Mongrel Army Pics, and Pictures of Your Weapon threads) Next I toyed with the movable trigger guard, which is metal. You can fold it up for when your shooting the gun with gloves on, but I have small hands, so I probably won't do this. I also found the grip was very comfortable in my hands.

HPIM0131.jpg

I realized how much metal there is in this gun, mainly the whole front end is metal, and so are many other pieces on this gun. I also realized how many rails there were on this gun. Buttons included a scope mount, a handguard mount, and a foregrip. There is also a mount on the right side of the handguard, which can hold battery boxes, lasers, or a flashlight. After playing with the gun, I hooked up my 8.4V 600mah battery up, and went back to the gun. I needed to get the battery compartment open, so I looked into the manual (pocket sized, very handy for bringing to fields and such) and it was quite simple. First take out the magazine, then pull the body pin out

HPIM0125.jpg

After removing the body pin, you slide the handguards back, and the top hand guard should pop off.

HPIM0126.jpg

Buttons took the battery holder off, and I found this helpful getting the battery in, but still getting the battery in was a very hard task for me. I would get the battery in, and then try to put the handguard on, but it wouldn't fit. After about 10 minutes, I finally got the battery in, and was ready to shoot. Before I loaded or inserted a magazine, I dry fired once at the couch, I couldn't tell much of a difference between my P90 and the 552. I loaded up the standard with 35 bb's (I couldn't get anymore in, better buy a speed loader) and pour about 200 bb's into the hi cap. Now came me hooking up the magazines. There are 2 studs one one side of each magazine, and hook up areas on the opposite side, you hook up the top stud into the connecter, and then sort of swing the other stud into the other hook up. I might be making it sound very difficult, but it's very easy to do. I put in the magazine and headed outside.

Shooting-

The Sig is stock, and probably shoots around 270-280FPS just like any other stock Tokyo Marui. I measured out 30 feet and took aim. I shot about 10 bb's in semi auto, and then the other 25 in short bursts.

HPIM0124.jpg

I was going to take more accuracy tests, but it got too windy out. The hop up was set almost perfectly by buttons, and my shots were going were I wanted them to. After the lowcap was emptied, I set up another target, to shoot at 45 feet, but then the wind came. I shot at it anyway with the hi cap, but mainly hit the box. I don't really like the iron sights, I don't know what it really is, they just seem off to me. I might be installing a red dot sight later. Adjusting the hop up is quite simple, just pull the bolt, and the removed dust cover reveals the hop up

HPIM0130.jpg

The Stock-

I felt the stock deserved its own category, because its a very neat and important part of the gun. The stock on the Sig552 can be folded up onto its right side. The procedure for this is very simple. First push the button that is right where the stock connects to the gun.

HPIM0127.jpg

The fold the stock up

HPIM0128.jpg

The last part is to snap the stock to a little piece that comes off the right side of the gun

HPIM0129.jpg

To unfold the stock simply pull it from the piece on the right side, and then snap it back to the original place on the gun. The stock feels very sturdy, more sturdy then the G36C folding stock.

Pros, Cons, and a Conclusion-

Pros-

-Stock folds for CQB use, and is sturdy

-Metal throughout gun

-Magazines can hook together

-Comfy grip

-Many mounting possibilities

-Foldable trigger guard

Cons

-Small magazine capacities (43 for standard, and 220 for hi cap)

-Dis Liked iron sights

-Can't fold stock up if a magazine is hooked up on the right side.

Conclusion-

I really like this gun, it has a small foot print, many mounting opportunities, and just feels right in my hands.

Also I would like to thank Buttons for the extremely fast shipping of this gun, I really appreciated it, and I hope my P90 gets to you soon!

Edit, sorry for the Uber Big pictures, no idea how that happened!

Edited by crandall13
Again, sorry about the pictures, I dont know whats up with my camera, I didn't change a thing on my camera when I took them, so I have no idea whats happened!

Just resize the pictures in paint. I agree with HaVoC that it's very annoying to scroll sideways. :P

With that said, excellent job on the review! I also think the Sig is very comfortable to hold and shoulder, but I didn't find it heavy, well, maybe heavier than the P90, but if you play with the metal guns like the CA MP5 or M15s, the 552 would feel like feather. ;)

Does the plastic body squeak? Some people say it does while others say the opposite.

the body sure doesnt squeak, I hear a little coming from the stock, and a lot more coming from the handguards!

resized pictures by popular demand!

edit, what the hell, none of them actually resized!

Edited by crandall13

A few notes that may be of interest;

-The battery tray can be removed to make seating batteries easier.

-68 round locaps are available for the SG552 sans faux bullets (Can't remember who makes em, I think it's TM.).

A definate con is the magazine studs are quite weak, so clip them toghether at your own risk.

Personally I quite like the diopter sights on the SG552, particularily after a dab of white paint to fill in the lowlight dots. But that's just me.

If your pictures are huge by default, try taking them from further away and cropping to just the bits you want - That way they'll be in focus.

Nice to read about this gun, though, looks quite different.

Cheers.

A few notes that may be of interest;

-The battery tray can be removed to make seating batteries easier.

-68 round locaps are available for the SG552 sans faux bullets (Can't remember who makes em, I think it's TM.).

A definate con is the magazine studs are quite weak, so clip them toghether at your own risk.

Personally I quite like the diopter sights on the SG552, particularily after a dab of white paint to fill in the lowlight dots. But that's just me.

Buttons removed the battery tray in this gun, its quite a simple job removing just two screws. I couldn't find the 68 round lowcaps in stock any where, but I should have mentioned it. I'm actually planning on painting the sights later, the back sights and the front sight (the front one folds down) white, I might do it later tonight! One last thing, I personally thought the studs were quite strong!

When i skirmished the sample I had it did quite well, infact for some reason it got more accurate as the day wore on (furthest kill was a 30 meter headshot on semi). very pointable little gat. Has the sling swivels in the perfect place for mirror image shooting. Great sights and the best fire selector on a Marui gun IMO. If it weren't for the damage on the magazines and rather wobbly charging handle I might have bought it.

IIRC it's 4 screws to get the tray out ;)

Edited by Machineabuse

I'm buying one of these used for $200 USD. It has two batterys, two standard mags, a loading tool and a charger. I was just buying it for display and messing around, but I'm glad it is a good gun.

Just got back from the game, and the Sig did excellent. ROF was good, range was perfect with .2's, and everything went well. The most troule I had with the gun at all was getting the battery in. I play with a few upgraded guns, shooting about 75-100FPS more the were allowed to talk about here, and I didnt feel out ranged at all. The gun did excellent, and I'm very pleased with it!

Funny, because you got rid of the P90 and got this, and when I got my first gun, my final two was either a P90 or a SG552 :) I was in Airsoft Armoury the other day and said to my gf "I nearly bought one of them..."

Having seen it for real, I think it's a bit too small for my liking, but it's still a cool and uncommon gun, and if they came with a metal body I'd still think about getting one. That would mean more magazines though. Ayiyiyi... :D