Real Steel vs Airsoft G36

Here's another one of my comparisons of an airsoft vs the real steel counterpart. I've done this with the P90, M4, H&K USP and I am following the website guidelines as I've done in the past. No comments about ammo, ballistics, etc.

Now, I do not have a real steel G36, I have a G36clone which is based on a real steel SL8. It was identified as a G36CQB-Clone by a knowlegeable H&K person, but I still call it an SL8. It started life as an SL8-1. It has the Knight's rail system which is very solid and has alot of holes to provide cooling. The little device in the front on the lower rail is to attach the UTL light that I use on my duty gun (H&K USP .45). Here is a photo showing the original SL8 parts under the converted gun with a G36C type sight rail on top (also, a spare real steel fore end with bipod):

SL8Mods.jpg

Here it is with the dual optic sight carry handle (I note that this higher handle makes for easier cocking of the bolt). Below it is my CA G36C airsoft:

RealAirsoftDualOpticsLR.jpg

Note that the G36 airsoft mag and real steel mags lock together:

RealAirsoftMags2.jpg

For those of you who pay attention to the details, you are right, the real steel G36clone does not use G36 magazines. There is an adaptor to allow that, but this version uses the cheaper and more readily available AR15/M16/M4 mags. For the price of one G36 mag, I can buy 4 to 5 AR mags. Yes, Beta C drums will fit. Using the amber colored translucent AR15 mags gives the "see through" effect of the G36 mags. I grabbed a couple G36 real mags "just in case" I decide later to change the mag well.

I was using the real steel dual optic handle on my TM G36 while waiting for my clone to arrive and it fit nicely as shown here:

SAW1LR.jpg

I will now go back to using the airsoft version of the optical carry handle.

I can tell you that in some ways the receiver on my airsofts feels more solid that the SL8. The polymer seems thinner or more pliable in some areas of the real steel whereas it seems uniformly stiff on both the TM and CA airsofts. Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos and the information.

Edited by eltee
Hehe, didn't expect that.  Which carry handle optics you got on your CA G36C?

Really enjoyed the nice photos as always. :)

On the CA I use the STAR dual optic. Not great optically, but it was for the"look" and I have a laser on it anyway for real aiming. What is nice is that the STAR has a short rail on top so I can remove the red dot and replace it with something else if I wish to.

On the TM I replaced the real steel dual optic with a G&P single optic carry handle (with the 3.5x scope). The optics on the G&P scope are, IMHO, much better than the STAR.

Glad you like the photos.

the airsoft one looks better :P

Yes...but since most of the real steel parts interchange with the airsoft guns I can "mix and match" alot. I can place that Surefire fore end with lights on the real steel clone, put the real steel clone's Knight's Rail System on the airsoft, etc. Unfortunately the fluted, ported barrel on my TM airsoft won't fit on the real steel :(

Since your a member of law enforcement, are you automatically able to order class 3 weapons and keep them while your on the force? What happens when you retire? And, most importantly, where do you get them? Impact guns? Gunsamerica?

The SL8 converted to a clone G36 shown here is not class 3, it is still a semiautomatic rifle. It is essentially an SL8 in a G36 wrapper. Law enforcement agencies can issue full auto (class 3) to members. That's how I got the FN P90 for a previous article I did.

Hey Eltee, did Top Notch do that conversion for you? I met someone who had a similar looking conversion and thats where he got his parts. 

Also, does yours count as a short barreled rifle, because that would make it a class III weapon.

Yes, it is the Top Notch / Special Weapons conversion. I am hoping to later acquire the Convington stock or a custom made one as the LOP is a little too long for use with the optics (OK for iron sights or a rail mounted Aimpoint, etc.). It is a 16" barrel so it is not an SBR. If I want to go through the paperwork and the $200.00 fee, I can eventually make this a "C" model but I think I'd keep it as it is.

you are my hero have a +1 on me!

Thanx, bro. Maybe I'll have two. BTW, just got back from Canada where my wife is from and alot of my in-laws still reside. One of the inlaws, a police constable up there, just got married. It is still strange to see so many police uniforms with no badge.

I herd the NFA moved to WV and transfer times have been just as long if not worse so $200 would be the least of your worries.

Also, didnt Phil Convington stop making conversions a couple years ago? Someone told me that somewhere.

Covington stopped making stocks a while back, but there are still some for sale. They go for about $150.00 for the fixed stock/grip assembly with a correct LOP (saw one for sale yesterday). I don't know the going price for a folder.

Edited by eltee

I took the HK bipod from the G36 fore end and added it to the Knight's rail and it fits perfectly. Obviously Knights designed the rails to accomodate the pod. Here are pics with pod up and down. I think I've seen airsofts with the Knight's rail system so I'm hoping someone will post a pic here so I can see how it fits on an A/S. I may test fit mine on the TM or CA later, but the rail system uses bolts instead of pins so it is a little more work to swap it out.

Earlier I indicated that the body felt thinner / more flexible than the airsofts. If you look closely you can see that the internal mechanisms are "imprinting" on the polymer from the inside making them visible from the outside.

OnPod2.jpg

PodUp2.jpg

Edited by eltee
So if you wanted to get a fully auto gun from a dealer, public or private, like an AUG or something, could you buy it with your departments permission? Can you still keep the firearms after you quit the force?

In my state, you can get a special "letter" from the Chief or Sheriff of your department for an LEO purchase of an assault weapon or fully auto weapon but most agenices buy the weapons as a departmental/government purchase and then "issue" the weapon. Our issued weapons (duty pistol, special unit shoulder weapons inc. full auto, etc.) can be taken home per policy.

For retirees, the person must apply for and receive both state and Federal licenses to keep a personally purchased "assault rifle" (legal term, but a misnomer IMHO) or Class 3 weapon. Not the same process, but the standards for qualifying are similar. Our large cap mags, etc. CAN stay with us if we retire honorably as we are allowed to carry concealed weapons even when retired anywhere in the US.

The laws are complex, vary by jurisdiction, and change regularly. In most states, semiauto "assault rifles" are pretty easy to purchase now that the federal ban has expired, but some states still restrict them.

Personally, I don't know anyone who has bought a full auto for duty use, only semi autos. The people who buy full autos do so as personal purchases and go through the red tape. Full autos are usually provided by the agency and returned when the LEO retires. That very fine FN P90 full auto I used for my real vs. airsoft article was a department's gun that was issued...hence it was photographed in my backyard. Hope this answers your questions.

The laws are complex, vary by jurisdiction, and change regularly. In most states, semiauto "assault rifles" are pretty easy to purchase now that the federal ban has expired, but some states still restrict them.

Look at my location. Thank you, Hillary Clinton! Ohh well thank god Connecticut along with any title 2 weapon you can think of is only 3 hours away.

If anyone is interested, the grey SL8 parts shown in the first photo of this thread are no longer needed by me. That would be the complete stock assembly with adjusters and cheekpiece, mag well and (although not shown in photo) the fore end. I will post on the For Sale / U.S. thread, but wanted to give a heads up here as well.