The US gov't slow response to Katrina

Qhs

Do you think the gov't is doing a good job with Katrina  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the gov't is doing a good job with Katrina

• Yes
    • No

he's fighting a war most of our money would go to that wouldnt it? i dont believe in Bush for much but at least he's doing something with terrorism. How would all of the other countries feel if we backed out of Iraq? how would the terrorists react? they would feel like they have made the greatest country in the world give up. BTW louisiana did not ask for gov. help for 2 days. the law is that the gov. is not allowed to interfere with anything in a state untill it asks. it sounds weird but when has the gov interfered in state issues before? i can think of one and that was in the south where NG were put in to keep mobs from attacking some african americans walking to and from school. the reason they were there was because there was a court order and they were inforcing it...

Im sorry for your cousin. I really am. But I believe that he is fighting for a good cause.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would all of the other countries feel if we backed out of Iraq?

We should have never been there in the firstplace.

but at least he's doing something with terrorism.

What is he doing? We had OSAMA BIN LADEN TRAPPED in afghanistan, but somehow, he gets away. Ever wonder how that happened? He paid off the rebel soldiers that we had helping us. If we had more troops there like we should have, we wouldn't have had to rely on rebels to help us, we would have been able to catch him. And what terrorism has he stopped? Our airports arn't safer. There was a study done that said airport security is actually WORSE and easier to get stuff past than prior 9-11. This was done by the airline safety board or some other gov safety board. Oh, the Patriot act, that I won't even get started on. He has/had done nothing but USE american's emotions from the devastation of 9-11 for his own greedy litte cause.

Im sorry for your cousin. I really am.

thanks, I just hope he comes home alright next time, and that it's not a coffin.

Sadaam? terrorizing his own people? Taliban? ring a bell?

we should be in iraq because there are terrorists there and he declared an all out war on terror...

you know how they said that there were no WMD in iraq? they found 40 bottles of serin gas in a few suitcases...

one *beep* of serin gas can kill 11 people

imagine 40 BOTTLES

one *beep* of serin gas can kill 11 people

apparently you havn't been informed of the shelf life of Serin Gas. The Gas they found was made in the late 80s, Serin gas has a very short shelf life, of only a few weeks. So, think about it. The Serin gas that they found was sooo degraded that it would have been extremely ineffective, and probably not even kill anyone. It would just most likely just make them very sick.

Sadaam? terrorizing his own people? Taliban? ring a bell?

so are you saying we can go around policing the world? Invading countries becuase the leader/dictator/president/whatever is doing something wrong? Yes? Oh, well then I guess we would be pratically invading every single country of the world. It is up to the people of that country to revolt against their government or to request help from other countries. It's not the job of the world to go: "Hey, it looks like you guys are in a bad situation, let's blow the *beep* out of your country and leave you with no power, water, 10s of thousands of dead civilians, and constant insurgent attacks, rather than what you had before. As for the Talibnan, that was in AFGHANISTAN, not Iraq.

I'd like to see that sometime.

I am in the process of finding that article now. Until I can find the 2005 study report, you can entertain youreself with this: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/03/...ain520612.shtml

wow thats weird it blocked out *beep*... like a finger *beep*? that you get at the doctor?

sorry accidently said taliban cuz it was in that area...

i like arguments lol

its like doing push ups in your mind...

anyway this is getting waaaaaaaaaaay off topic

lets get back on...

so are you saying we can go around policing the world? Invading countries becuase the leader/dictator/president/whatever is doing something wrong? Yes? Oh, well then I guess we would be pratically invading every single country of the world. It is up to the people of that country to revolt against their government or to request help from other countries. It's not the job of the world to go: "Hey, it looks like you guys are in a bad situation, let's blow the *beep* out of your country and leave you with no power, water, 10s of thousands of dead civilians, and constant insurgent attacks, rather than what you had before.

Oddly enough, I've often thought this myself.

If Bush is so altruistic how come he never felt the urge to invade Kenya, Tanzania or Zimbabwe in order to help the folks there?

I'd have a lot more respect for him (and all the other pol's such as Blair) if he just stood up and said "Hey, these guys are making Americans nervous and we're gonna put a stop to that"

Only trouble is, of course, that "because they make us nervous" has never been a legitimate reason to invade another country.

And no. I never thought it was about oil.

Michael Moore is an idiot.  His opinions aren't backed up by facts, and any of the "facts" he claims are really half-thruths.  I can't stand that jackass

I agree completely. He is a b/s artiste. I almost got sick watching "Bowling for Columbine". Disgusting ego tripping.

Oh wait I'm not allowed have an opinion becasue I own an "assault scissors"...The typical "liberal"....slowly, painlessly reomoves your rights one by one so he can sleep better at night.

The Repblicans won the election by outplaying the same smear game that the Democrats used for years...Good for them!

And when, say, London is attacked with chemical weapons...its not the fault of the lousy gutless pussies in charge who did nothing for years (think Clinton, read "Ghost Wars" to see how inept HIS administration was in Afghanistan for almost a decade), on no, its an "intelligence failure".

Then Bush comes along and take the flak for doing what is necessary to ensure the protection of American interests and oh look he's the anti-Christ!

Read The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand :D for an account of altruism...

And if good old Chamberlain had invaded Germany in '38 because Hitler was making Europe nervous...well then what might have been! Of course that was pre-nuclear and WMD, and still countless millions died :(

I don't usually get involved in these discussions, but on this one I must weigh in.

First a little about me:

I have been involved in Emergency Medical Services for 13 years, I am an EMS instructor as well and currently run my own business providing medical response to high-risk special events. I have had extensive disaster and mass casualty training and have been a part of the response to several disasters. That being said, I do not count myself as an "expert", simply one who can speak from the inside and with the voice of experience.

I think we should start with the supportable facts:

1) The Federal Government of the U.S.A. was asked for help 72 hours before the hurricane made landfall, when the governors of the Gulf States realized what was going to happen.

2) FEMA was authorized to act 48 hours in advance of the hurricane.

3) LA National guard requests 700 buses from FAME to aide in evacuation 12 hours before the hurricane makes landfall and only receives 100.

4) 6 to 8 hours after the hurricane makes landfall the governor of LA makes a personal request to the President for more help.

5) Director Chartoff learned that levees had been breached 36 hours after the breach had occurred.

6) While the Pentagon was publicly stating that there were enough National Guard troops in the region, news reports begin to come in with pictures of the wide-spread looting and chaos in NO.

7) National Guard troops finally arrive 48 hours after landfall.

8) 72 hours after landfall the NO Director of Homeland Security reports no Command and Control has been established by FEMA.

9) Four days after the hurricane made landfall Michael Brown (Director of FEMA) publicly states that he has no reports of civil unrest.

On a personal note:

After reading reports and seeing images of the devastation and loss, and upon hearing the department of Heath and Human Services request volunteers from all branches of healthcare including EMS, I cleared my schedule for the month of September pack a bag and volunteer to help. That was more than a week ago, and so far the only response I have received is a automatic email thanking me for my patriotism and saying they will be in touch.

I will allow the reader to draw their own conclusions.

Nameless

Archived