KSC Mk23 SOCOM Upgrade

steviec

I sounds to me like your trigger bar is bent (part 56) and that would cause your trigger to stick as well, it should look like the one in the image below. The action is as follows: when the trigger is engaged the bar moves forward.

trigger_bar_MK23.jpg

As for the recoil spring. Shooter’s Design 150% recoil spring upgrade set will do the trick. I have the metal slide/barrel upgrade and the slide assembly is rock solid. I would not suggest removing the buffer spring as this helps absorb the recoil and is much easier on the pistol.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right. I'll have a crack at lubing the parts you mentioned (might as well lube all the inernals while I'm there) when I get a fresh can.

Rhiley - part 56 does look like that when I push it in, and it will stay there...until it's gone through two or three trigger pulls. Then the little metal bit dislodges. Now's the problem of keeping it that way; I don't know if bending it will help to be honest. Drilling and replacing might be the key - though I'll keep trying to fix it without that first of all. I suppose that's the main problem for now.

So the SD spring set is fine for your slide and barrel setup? Do you have the SD metal set too? In that case, I'll have a look at a set of those alongside Tommy's own DIY springs.

Cheers.

I have the SD slide/bbl upgrade and I'm not experiencing the problem your having... mmmm (scratching head)? SD makes the best spring up grade in the market, I’ve tried the others.

Part 56:

I’m sorry, I sort of jumped in here, so pardon my elbow. Having experienced the same thing , it seemed to be the problem, but Utty solution sounds more on track.

Right. I'll have a crack at lubing the parts you mentioned (might as well lube all the inernals while I'm there) when I get a fresh can.

Buy a can of silicon-based "Interior trim spray"from Halfords. It's the same as aerosol silicone oil. It's in a 2-tone blue can.

500ml for about £3. ;)

Nice tip Sid ;) Thanks a lot!

Well, I tried applying some SuperGlue last night. I thought it would have no effect, but it seems to have done the trick...for now. I don't expect it to hold out for long, really.

I'll wait and see; then I'll start drilling!

Regarding the springs, I think I may have to get the SD set first; if those don't work, it will only have been about $20 to find out that I need to go Tommy's way :P

Check it:

trigger_bar_MK23_2.jpg

Seems to me like there's a gap between the back side of part 56 and the frame. What if you adhered something to the back of part 56 in the marked spot on the pic, so it would push part 56 more firmly against the trigger, and thereby keeping the rod in the hole? I'd suggest a simple drop of two-component epoxy or maybe a gob of chemical metal cement, then file it down to correct thickness. Think that would work? Or isn't there a gap like that in the whole travel area during trigger pull?

Funny that, the SD spring set was my inital suggestion too. *pats self on back* :P

Yeah, I thought about perhaps having something there to push part 56 into place; there might be problems with spacing and reliability of the solution though. I'll check it out.

Seems as if this has gone around in a circle, eh Utty? Funny, 'cause I thought the SD set was the one that was in there when I received it - may not have been however.

Hahah, oh right, you got the SD set already.. just weird that the SD set is THAT weak! Especially when Rhiley calls his SD set "rock solid"!

In any case, the big recoil spring in your gun is too weak, and needs to be replaced. It's not really vital to do something about the small buffer spring, remove it and use the tube spacer if you want the extra blowback kick.

Yeah...maybe my set isn't an SD one at all :P Or it's just abnormally rubbish! Why can't they put manufacturer trades on springs...

At the moment, I'm now concerned about making sure the gun's alright with its deviant part 56. If all stays well (fingers crossed) that recoil spring is next on my list!

Complicated shiznat. I hate having to worry about bits inside my guns when I want to fire them...

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread. What's the difference between the HW and the ABS KSC

Mk23? The frame is made of the HW plastic like the G19's?

I've been thinking of buying a Mk23 also. Should I buy the 2005 version (doesn't seem to be HW) with SD slide , barrel and spring set? Or the older Mk23 HW with SD slide/barrel abd spring set. Will any of those take Green gas without any probs?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm running my old version KSC HW (with SD slide and barrel + mag hi-flows) on Green; I'm pretty sure it will hold up. As for the 2005 version, I assume the changes have been made in the recoil assembly and valve areas, to provide snappier recoil? Don't ask me though, I'm not an expert...

...as proved by this. In attempting to fit the SD 150% recoil spring set (sorry I haven't tried Tommy's spacer yet; I may well do it in the future if I find the recoil to be too sluggish), I have encountered a couple of problems:

-Fitting the larger spring is easy; the smaller secondary spring in the recoil assembly is harder to do however. The end block of the small recoil spring seems to be held to the assembly by only one pin; unfortunately, it won't budge. Is it meant to be that strong, or is it not the only pin I need to remove?

-Hammer spring - how do I go about removing the old one and replacing it without breaking the whole world?

Then, out of curiosity, I tried to fit my shiny new Firefly rocket valve and found that I had no clue as to how to remove the valve from its big metal housing. Ideas?

Resurrection complete. Cheers for any help lads.

(PS - just the addition of the larger SD spring seems to have fixed the slide dropback problem well; however, I'd rather have all of the springs in there, just to be on the safe side.)

I've been thinking of buying a Mk23 also. Should I buy the 2005 version (doesn't seem to be HW) with SD slide , barrel and spring set? Or the older Mk23 HW with SD slide/barrel abd spring set. Will any of those take Green gas without any probs?

If you're going to upgrade the slide then you might as well get a standard (non-HW) version and save a bit of cash, 'cos otherwise you're just swapping an ABS HW slide for a metal HW slide. Don't know if the SD slide will fit the '05 version yet, I'm waiting for WGC to come back from their new years break before e-mailing them to find out. Also, the '05 only has a single recoil spring so be careful which set you order if you decide to get them all at the same time.

Archived