political correctnes worse than ever!

Azrael

- continued from a post in a topic unrelated to this discusion.

...I'll think you'll find we still live in a terrbily PC world in the UK- worse than it ever was in the 90's. The fact is that although we hated converting to a "PC" way of life, we DID convert in the main, and the things that we used to complain about being "too politically incorrect" do not get used anywhere near as often nowadays.

I mean, most people in the UK are confused as to whether we are allowed to call black people black... hold on, sorry... coloured, no, sorry... african american origin people of multiple descent. I think the fact is (after asking numerous black friends in the past) that if we do refer to them as anything other than "people" it should be black- after all they refer to themselves as (using the "N" word) and "black and proud". We're "white" for gods sake, what makes "black" an insult? ITS A BLOODY COLOUR!

Don't get me started on other PC ######- women are now treated (in the UK) with "positive discrimination" along with all the ethnic minorities meaning if theres two people going for a job, if they need to fill a quota, a white male is bottom of the list regardless of qualifications for the job! The only way he'll get said job is if the other candidate is ALSO a white male.

N.B. any women, or anyone else taking offense by what I'm saying here then you should know I am NOT a bigot, racist or even against gay couples getting married- leaves more women for the rest of us! I just want to be able to behave like a "lad" every now and again, and am sick and tired of having to rethink and double-guess the consequences of opening my mouth- even when around friends!! - I'm also old enough to have the desire to want to act like a gentleman, but am never sure if opening a door, or walking on the outside of the pavement for a woman will be taken as a patronising act?

I think I speak for all "lads" that we're sick and tired of the media/ the country's desire to re-educate us. We will burp, fart and occassionally make a PC goof. But as far as I'm concerned, when PC-ness goes mad, its only fair to stick your middle finger up to the concept.

Oh man. To tell you the truth, I could go on for YEARS about this (R22 to confirm this).

I'll just list the things that ###### me off the most.

Feminazis...errr..Feminists.

Affirmative Action

NAACP

I would prefer not to go into detail, as I could liternally write a 10 page essay you for.

Yep, the whole PC and un-PC thing is total bull if you ask me.

The other thing that annoys me is 'ethnic minorities'. I have nothing against people of 'ethnic minorities', but here in the UK, in many places there are more Asian/Indian/Black people than there are 'traditional' English white people. Surely that would make them the 'ethnic minority' then? Well no, because the government is too stupid to acknowledge this fact...

Exactly right there Havoc- and unfortunately due to "positive discrimination" and the fact that ethnic minority shop owners have no legal obligation to employ people outside of their own ethnic group (unless the colour of their skin is extra pale-i.e. white) then it quickly becomes a self-perpetuating problem- communities that used to be multicultural and just generally be a happy melting pot of all religions and ethnicities etc turn into one or two types of "ethnic minority" being the main ones there. I don't think that the "whites" move away, I just don't think they can get work there in the main thanks to ignorant government laws.

case in point would be leicester. Many areas of that are just simply described as "black" or "Asian" areas now, where whites aren't acceptable residents.

A good example of where it still works in the face of stupid governmental rules is Luton and dunstable areas- still a multicultural society with a less than perfect reputation, but the truth of it is that it isn't too bad an area to live, and last time I was there "racial tension" was a phrase that doesn't apply- (and thats always a good thing!) (having said that, I lived there for about 3 years and haven't been there in the last five)

Heh, its like that here also. Also works in colleges. Say you're white, and you apply for a college, and you've been a A+ student your whole life, a B- black student applying for the same college can take your place because the govt here says schools have to be ethnically diverse. Another paradox is you can have a national black fraternity but not national white fraternity, unless your some kind of supremacist nazi. ;)

Probably the worst thign ever, is while Americans are losing jobs to overseas markets we are losing them at home too. I can't get hired at a fast food place because I don't speak spanish. I wouldn't be able to communicate with my (usually illegal) coworkers.

I don't hate any one either, I have black and indians friends, and Im dating an asian, lol.

Whenever any lobby group gets involved everything starts going tits up.

Any group of people paid to influence political decisions that affect us all should be deported, and any MP or congressman that takes contributions from them ought to be sacked on the spot.

Bloody special interests my *albartroth*

[/rant]

political correctness- aka not being able to get away with barkingly offensive language based on prejudices revolving around skin colour, religion, gender, sexuality or ethnicity.

and of course the great thing about the "political correctness gone MAAAD" debate is that should anyone happen to step in and say "easy there chaps, this is maybe getting a little close to the bone", the reply is "you see, its true, political correctness gone MAAAD!!"

I'd rather live in a world where the alf garnets of society are gleefully shot down in flames, than one in which good old white english society blatantly and without any legal curtailment calls all the shots.

lets put it in context- I assume everyone engaged in this discussion is white, male and living in the western hemisphere, probably well off (well off enough to be able to spend, or at least seriously contemplate spending hundreds of pounds on toy guns) and most likely have never been racially or sexually harrassed in their lives.

given how many people in the world have to put up with grinding poverty, malnourishment, no education, or, if the happen to not be white and live in the UK, have to put up with the threat of being abused verbally or physically simply for not being white (yes, racism still exists- you only need to look at the rise of the BNP and UKIP in the recent council and european elections for proof, though I'm sure the people who voted for them would never say, or even believe, they were racist, or encouraging racism, in doing so).

we also, as males, have the tremendous priviledge of not having to put up with leering thugs wanting to pinch our backsides, patronise us, and generally behave in the most unbecoming way in an attempt to either get in our y-fronts or keep us in our place.

I'm happy being white, male and English- I got pretty much got the fullset of silver spoons inserted into my mouth at birth- so I'm not going to complain too hard if "political correctness" seems to have swung a little too far.

lets remember something when, for eg, we complain about a black student, or a disabled student, "leap-frogging" us good clean A grade white able-bodied students for a place at a university- it wasn't too long ago when there weren't any rules to protect "minorities", and the chances of a university board allowing some bloke in who was black, over a white student, irrespective of the grades or their potential, or to what level they will better appreciate the opportunities afforded to them, was next to zero.

Maybe things have gone too far towards the positve discrimination road, maybe women or "ethnic minorities" get away with more than us poor, hard-done by white boys, but by god, we've a lot of discrimination to atone for, so what the hell? hopefully there'll come a time when we truely live in a non-discriminating meritocracy, but thats a hell of a long way off, and until then, I think a few laws to curb the bile of the Kilroy-silks of this world isn't a bad thing at all.

And remember all you white boys out there- if you really are as deserving of those jobs, those university places, as you claim to be, then get out there and prove it, yeah?

Ah, Mulders first rant on the shiny new arnies off topic board- even as Crazy_Harry, I can feel the righteous indignation doing me good.

right, am off to hum a few bars of "we shall not be moved" and a quick browse through todays copy of the independent. Evening all.

I'll stick my oar in here, and, while having many coloured freinds of many origins (I work in Croydon, lol), I tend to the opinion that PC does not stant for either Personal Computer, Police Constable, OR Political Correctness: No, it stands for Prime Crud.

YMMV ;)

Archived