Multicam smock from tacgear.de

Wege

10023882es.th.jpg

Notice internal drawstring, large pockets (inside) and the Multicam pattern continues all the way in.

10023894fj.th.jpg

Buttons? you can't HANDLE the buttons..

Seriously.. they are huge, and they are a fabric hold, not a cotton stitch. Impressive. Notice also the zipper, it is a 'pull from top or bottom' zip. Confusing to connect at first, but with time this will change. Notice the sturdy material on my right arm? There is padding in there, with stronger material. The material is removed from the front. It feels like a thin foam mousepad in there :P Also check the zip running parallel to the main zip, next to breast pocket. There is one on the left too.

10023902uu.th.jpg

There is that padded fore-arm again. Check out the zip underneath the arm and the pit. There are two zips there, but I really don't know why in this instance. Hmm.

10023915st.th.jpg

does my butt look big in this? Well it should. This smock is XL! Notice that it has rear pockets. This could replace (almost?) the BumBag.

10023922go.th.jpg

First up. EACH pocket has a D-ring at that point (exception - the rear pockets)

Notice the zips, the velcro tabs (I see a Wege being made :) ) and also a place for the APA patch. What the pictures don't really illustrate is that they (the pockets) are bunched at the top... It means that things (magazines ) are not as likely to fall out! Note the scale of the buttons vs my fingers. Btw.. I am a size 7 1/2 glove if that helps at all.

10023939pe.th.jpg

HOO-DEE!! A hoodie-hoodie yum yum (who can see the obscure reference!)

Note the self-peaking cap.. can be folded out of the way if you wish. See also how high the collar comes up too.

10023946du.th.jpg

This shows the inside of the rear of the smock. Yeap. Pockets on the inside..fanny side. Perfect for a raincoat.. or a roll, or some nice food.. mmmm. when you are lying down and you cannot reach UNDER you, but you can reach around and behind.

The fabric is all ripstop.. which is nice. There are shoulder pockets (one each side) but there is also a little German Black, red, yellow flag on each shoulder too. I would have prefered it with none, but they will be removeable though.

I have yet to test to see if this gear is IR treated (hopes) but I have also yet to try it out on the field... Should be able to this weekend.

This cost me 99Euros and 37.50Euros for airmail, which arrived in less than 5 working days. Gordon of www.tacgear.de was bloody good with comms. side of things, and I would certainly get more stuff from them. :)

PS- before you spew aloud at nearly 40Euros, remember, this is to NZ, and that figure WOULD have been the freight if I had of included the orginal pants as well.

PPS- sorry about the model I have used. I have not.. *ahem* 'the Model has not had any formal training... apart from being used as a "you will look like him" figure.. :P

Ooh, nice stuff :) Looks very much like the Force 8 smock by SASS. And a bit of a bargain as well I might add! I have to confess to not liking the Multicam scheme very much, but that looks like a well-made piece of kit B)

I shall be reviewing my new smock this weekend (on request); shall I slap it in here, or get my own damned thread, Wege? :D

Be my guest.

If it is multicam... go for it.

I was gonna go and rape Deepeyes' post but I thought I would create a new one. :D

I just have not seen anything mentioned on this thing at all over the world..ahem *die velt* :P

Is yours MC as well?

Btw.. this smock appears to be based on the SASS Smock III kit holding smock thingy. And after seeing the prices of them (in UK Pounds I might add at about 140!! ) this is right good!.

Ok.

First game.

Firstly.. playing in 28deg weather is both good and bad in this.

Good in that it was not as hot as I expected, bad in that with the hood on, the face was starting to fog..

Righto. This stuff does not seem to work in the NZ Spring - there is too much bright green happening. I will theorise that it will rock in NZ Summer, autumn and winter, owing to the no-longer 'new' colors that are around.

No pics :(... no-one there with a digicam... ah well... will have to see what it is like next week in NZ bush...

ka kite!

Bush game with more and varied pics to follow, however this won't be until next week (someone elses camera) :)

In the bush (NZ bush at least) this stuff seems to work well.

This picture taken at about 10m with both of us just standing still near trees not trying to hide.

My pants are NZ DPM (smock of course is MC), the other chappy is wearing Brit DPM.

The location was not specifically chosen, it was 'you stand there'

britdpmandmcsmock8mn.th.jpg

Which I think is bloody neat.

Once again, this was taken with no effort at hiding, pretty close to the main trail that people would have to come past.

dfbushtakenat3m4rx.th.jpg

Once again though, if you move you will probably be spotted, but moving slowly... ahhh that is good. :)

More pics to come.

OK.. a few posts.

Those pics above may end up disappearing, as I have deleted them from imageshack. The following have been better adjusted to reflect the light/true colors.

dsc046756kh.th.jpg

dsc047198dd.th.jpg

As you can see, it is a better 'color/tone' than the Brit DPM at this point, but it would still suck against this point. Flash was used.

dsc047211su.th.jpg

I know the focus is on the foreground >_<. I think this was natural light, but it does exhibit what could happen when looking through foliage - it is harder to notice... but that face does give it away. :)

dsc047238hi.th.jpg

Same picture as earlier post, but colors have been corrected closer to true. Flash was used.

dsc047243gp.th.jpg

Now this is interesting. The same scene/pose, but with no flash used.

dsc047255pa.th.jpg

This next series was taken just to show if someone is not aware of being sneaked up on. No intentional 'hiding' per se. Flash used.

dsc047263cm.th.jpg

Same again, but I moved a fraction. This time no flash.

dsc047281qg.th.jpg

Just standing on the path. No flash.

dsc047327os.th.jpg

This failed to show clearly (autofocus O_o ) Taken from about 15m with zoom (used on camera). There were other shots here, but none but this and the next were close to being in focus. You get the idea anyways.

dsc047334ln.th.jpg

This is at 5m, with a touch of zoom, and at a slightly different angle. This really shows that I now need to get some Hatch Sage green gloves. nuts. What this does show though, is that if you are at a distance more, this pattern does break up the outline a fair bit. Just look at the thumbnail itself, and think if this was part of a wider terrain/image, and you were walking (past), would you probably notice?

I can see this 'position' being used with someone as a spotter for a group of people. Wait for a squad or team to walk past, here a radio signal and all of you rise and and shoot em in the back. :D

I will still update this thread with different terrain/vegetation and this smock. I will also (when I get them) include the SKD MC Bdus.

Hey Wege - that's a VERY interesting photo essay you've put together there. What intrigues me is that MULTICAM appears to work best in environments with lots of brown colouration, and also that it is very photo-adaptive - in other words, it works very well in natural light and stands out like a neon sign when you used your flash. I think this "photo-adaptivity" is one of MULTICAM's strengths and is also part of its inherent design features.

What's been the feedback from other players? Do they notice that it changes colour under different lighting? Do they say it works better than other camos?

It is interesting, however there is still more and varied terrain that pictures were not taken in (i mean lying in grass at different hours of the day) etc, so there is still some more to be learn't and seen.

Some quotes from our forums in NZ.

-- where is he. It is very effective fotos to come i belive. It is very good in the bush we were in today. 5m it is noticed as a lump 10m+ cant make him oput realy when lying down it was nice. cant wait to see the full set.

-- It was great! You were probably 10 metres ahead of me (and on my team) and I would be struggling to see where you were, I could only see your face. At one point I was starting at this tree quite a while away wondering if it was Wege in his multicam or just the bark.

-- I must say this stuff is bloody good cam .... I'd like to see how it fairs on some of the other fields.

In our club we have the following patterns: Marpat (genuine, experimental gen1?), Woodlands plus knockoffs. 2 different sort of Brit DPM, 2 different NZ DPM, Flecktarn, Thai, OD, Choc Chip, Tri-Des, Dutch, Brit Des, Black. Just to let you know.

Archived