why must they hurt our sport!

enzo100

I was watching the news today when I saw two very disturbing reports. One: teenagers used "SOFTAIR" guns to pistol whip elderly couple nearly crippling one. Two: Airsoft sniper uses rifle and bb gun to shoot out windows of cars on highways. One injury so far.

This just isn't right. I'm sure that if airsoft were to be banned here it would still be allowed in the UK. But here we are on the breaking point. Between paintball and airsoft gaining popularity the press has been knocking us down. However some new stations in New England actually send out their anchors to play airsoft or paintball with kids. But still I have to worry, that if we don't show support our sport will not make it. Somehow we have to show others that airsoft is a safe sport when all the safety measures are taken into consideration. I mean the guns drive many people insane so they get afraid. Heck my mom even hates my guns. I don't know but something has got to happen or it doesn't look good for the us airsofters in the states. Any ideas???? I know paintball has an entire saftey organization dedicated to telling every1 how safe shooting sports can be.

Please:

1: Do not type forum titles in ALL CAPS

2: Do not swear on the forum (that includes hashing out characters to input the same words).

The only way to provide good press for Airsoft is to conduct ourselves in a responsible and honorable way.

To be honest children playing with plastic guns in the street, and drive by shootings with BB guns have nothing to do with us at all. Any association with them, even to rebuke the incidents only serves to provide a media link between Airsoft and any unfortunate events that take place.

i remember someone mentioned on the old forums that there was a couple of guys in America who were driving at breakneck speeds down the highway and shooting each other with AEG's! I don't think that prats like that realise that they're giving the sport a bad name.

(Note: This is not aimed at Americans as it relates to all countries. This was only mentioned as i remembered posting on the thread in the old forums and it was to be used as an example.)

I don't know if any of the "old hands" will remember a story concerning Paintballing in the UK back in the 1980's about a chap who gots his house & car shot up one morning whilst leaving to for work by people using paintball guns. At the time I think there was a bit of a ban paintball because these louts had terrorized an inoccent man.

Idiots in every generation. Also not initially reported was that the yobs were all in the late twenties/early thirties (not young kids) and were mates of the apparent victim playing a rather bad practical joke. It was clearly a stupid thing to do but the way it was reported made a foolish incident sound a more sinister to the general public.

Since then Paintballing seems to have done a lot of lobbying and put effort into positive media image. Most people seem to think it's and ordinary sport these days when it's arguably more risky the most Airsoft skirmishes.

i remember someone mentioned on the old forums that there was a couple of guys in America who were driving at breakneck speeds down the highway and shooting each other with AEG's! I don't think that prats like that realise that they're giving the sport a bad name.

(Note: This is not aimed at Americans as it relates to all countries. This was only mentioned as i remembered posting on the thread in the old forums and it was to be used as an example.)

I seem to remember this as well...hmm. I wonder whatever became of them...probably crashed into a tree.

Anyway, enzo, if you ever find out who did it, go wring their necks for me. I don't wanna waste precious Airsoft money to go teach some dummies a lesson. <_<

Ironically though, people under the age of 18 seem to be blamed for a lot of it. But funny enough people over the age of 18 can be just as immature. Anything from drugs to drink can start it. My point being, that it's not just the age gap but the immaturity of people who in all rights should act in a responsible and considerate way. It's only when they end up in the slammer that they start to think "...But what did i do wrong? I was just having fun..."

Archived