• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ford Mondeo Estate- 4804mm x 1958mm

Toyota Lancruiser - 4889.5mm x 1940.6mm

Audi A6 - 4914.9mm x 2011.7mm

Hummer H2- 5171.4mm x 2062.5mm

Original Mini- 3162.3mm x 1415.3mm

Fair comparison? Hardly. Ditto with your examples, mondeo and A6 estates are huge as far as normal cars go, but they are much lower, which is usually a good thing from the point of view of other road users.

Driving along at night, I often find myself dazzled by big 4x4's with dipped beams on, but they're at eye height and so leave me blind to the road ahead.

I can't see over them when driving along, so have no idea whats going on ahead.

And not long ago, I was waiting for a gap at a roundabout on my motorbike, saw a small one, decided not to risk it, but the 4x4 behind me clearly decided otherwise, went for it, and just knocked me straight off. The guy got out, just said "Sorry, I couldn't see you there." Checked I was ok ish, and drove off.

I was completely in shock, didn't think to get number plate, insurance details or anything, so was left with a costly repair, and some bitter feelings, because someone had decided that their 4x4 isolated them from having to be observant, and taking responsibility. So long as he was safe in his big metal box, then he had nothing to worry about.

My little consolation was a nice dent in his bumper...

Sorry about digressing there, just something I feel quite strongly about.

Nothing wrong with 4x4's, so long as they're used properly. I see quite a lot of X5's and Cayenne's in town, perfectly clean of course. Yet I have a lot more respect for the driver of the old Defender I see around, who usually has mud splattered up to his windows.

Graham

The point of the comparisons is to make the people who's best anti 4x4 arguement is based on incorrect fact that 4x4s take up more road space (and therefore should pay more tax, parking, etc) think a bit more. e.g. if they want to use size as the reason to ban/tax 4x4s then they need to moan about alot of other cars too (and the comparison is fair - all three are large estates).

As to them being taller, then yes they are so they do block other road users view more - but so are several other cars these days (people carriers for instance) and I don't see anyone moaning about them?

Lights? I get more dazzled by the modern xenon lights, etc than anything else, they put out much more light than my 16yr old technology, hence meaning that frequently an oncoming car's fullbeam totally overpowers my fullbeam - hence I see theirs in time to dip but they don't see mine so I get full beam to the face.

As to your accident, you get twats like that in all sorts of vehicles but I can understand your frustration at his attitude. I doubt he didn't see you because of the vehicle he was driving - I've had my 4x4 hit by a metro once because "he didn't see me".... wtf?!?

Yet I have a lot more respect for the driver of the old Defender I see around, who usually has mud splattered up to his windows.

Hence the reason my surf hasn't been washed in 10months - it never at all vaguely resembles a "chelsea tractor"!

Smeg.

Remember also that many 4x4s are gimp friendly. Higher seats and larger door frames are good for people with mobility problems. Raised storage areas also good as less bending or twisting to dig in the boot.

(Says the gimp who doesn't currently drive but will buy a 4x4 when I have the money. Or maybe a Renault Megane, they're good too.)

Fair comparison? Hardly. Ditto with your examples, mondeo and A6 estates are huge as far as normal cars go, but they are much lower, which is usually a good thing from the point of view of other road users.

It was a fair comparison since one of the most popular cars are Ford Mondeos. A Ford Mondeo is compatible to a BMW 3 Series, and in America especially, these types of cars are relatively small. Imagine the Mini in America! :o

Also dont get conned by mud, you now can buy spray on mud effect if you so want :D

Archived