The 4x4 thread

joeking27

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why? Because we have such thing as snow.

oo, what's snow? I've seen that on those funny cards they come out with at christmas - can you explain what exactly it is 'cause we never get it over here.

OK, so maybe we don't get the amount you do, but we get it too so try a better arguement.

They are not for the road people and it is actually worse for the engine than a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

oh really. Alot of the older 4x4's have selectable 2 or 4WD, and spend most of their tarmac time in 2WD (indeed mine can only be driven in 2WD on solid surfaces). The newer ones that are permanent 4WD are designed to be just that, hence I really doubt it's worse for the engine. That's gotta be one of the lamest arguements yet.

I love the whole "no use for 4x4's" arguement. So, you also agree with removing all cars from the road that can go over 70mph (talking UK here); can accelerate faster than you deem necessary; etc, etc......

It's choice people. The same thing that we are all fighting for with the save airsoft campaign. People could easily argue there's no use for airsoft - but it's our freedom of choice that we are defending to let us play the sport we love. That same freedom of choice is what allows me to drive my 4x4.

Smeg.

I happen to own an older one that has selectable 2 or 4wd and it spends most of its life in 2wd. My argument wasn't that we should ban 4x4 vehicles from the road or any such nonsense. My argument was that they are completely unnecessary on the road and that a 4wd truck will consistently get worse gas mileage and more engine wear than a 2wd truck. I am simply saying that all these soccer moms with 4wd suvs are ridiculous.

4x4's are basically (and its already been quoted) to be driven off road.

i was watching a program on tv once, . and this mother had a Porsche 4x4 ... it had 600bhp under its bonnet, but she didnt know this until the driver floored it on a race course.

afterwards she was shocked.

what annoys me is people dont understand the Potential power of 4x4's :angry:

It was a Cayenne Turbo, and it only has 450bhp ;) was on discovery "top 10 adventure vehicles" today. She used it to take her kid to ballet lessons, needs shot, thats excess if i ever have seen it.

They have a place, IE on a farm. Suppose same can be said for sports cars, we dont NEED to go over 70mph, but its fun and we can so why not? Im impartial, if i were rich id have one more than likely but then again id actually take it off road.

i drove, up until yesterday, a 2wd toyota carolla, and i really, really hate those damn soccermoms and their giant SUVs. they have no idea how to drive them, no idea where to use them, and block the view on highways for us po' folk with lil cars.

i could REALLY use a 4x4 where i live (wmass, with the crazy winters we get here), unfortunately i can't afford to buy or fuel one.

"Better to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it"

Quoted for truth.

Why not? It ain't your money filling up their tanks. All of you should just hush up because your are jealous your gas prices are 6 pounds for a pint. They can buy whatever type of car/truck they want. It doesn't matter... just, next time there is a blizzard, don't go whining because your asian import car slid down the hill and ran over a senior citizen. :rolleyes::P

Yeah, my mom's SAAB 95 in the winter time, when we have 2 1/2 feet of snow... = Goes no where.

She actually, more then once. Took my truck to work. (Especially on days I had off for snow and such.) And thusly, why my dad has an F350 and a Denali. My mom takes his Denali in the winter.

Also, interesting fact...

Most deadly car crash of 2004 was a Senior driving his tiny little car through a open air market in Cali I beleive.

Lovely isn't it?

Biggest crash In my area was a 180 car pile up on the turn pike near my house. It was snowing like hell, and a little toyota, drive paniced and slammed on the brakes, causing the whole highway to pile up.

*fruitcage* freedom of choice (which can easily be legislated out of existance), 4x4s must die!

:zorro:

A pox upon you! I happen to enjoy taking my XJ for a "jaunt" in the "park" now and then. Or just over the curbs in the parking lot...

When you're faced with the ice and snow of a Midwest winter, or just the saucy allure of an east coast swamp, 4-wheel drive is the only way to go!

:D

Let people drive what they want. It's more the retards driving than the vehicle itself.

When at a light, or a stop, my car smells like a funny car (alcohol injection or race gas, depending), and is loud enough to give people headaches (open dump w/ 52mm turbo). I'm sure that bothers people too, so what.

Yeah, I've vowed that my next vehicle be a hybrid or some other ultra-efficient auto.

My ride is a '92, and it's the origional SUV built on a true truck frame. I can understand why it's loud, clunky and inefficient. What I don't get is a 2000+yr vehicle that gets even crappier gas mileage.

I'll assume that by England you mean England, and not the whole of the uk.

I mean, it's funny watching the Ned cars in their novas and all those cars that aren't 4x4 get stuck in 2 cm of Snow while trying to get to the local Skiing centre. And then there is the fact that we do a lot of off roading up here in Scotland, and you try taking a non-4x4 up on the heather! and then you've got the fact that most, but not all roads and tracks are quite poorly maintained, often with huge muddy potholes..

I always laugh at people claiming 4x4's are useless...

You have forgotten the mighty Landrover 90. Used extensively by farmers....and toffs. These things are still rolling long after fancy 4x4's are broken down and buggered.

Steve.

I agree with you but 110s are better as you can carry more in them, we went green laning in January and some people were stryggling to get there 90s through some of the most difficult driving in the lakes and my dad easily did it in his 110. Why? Experiance. SUVs are good as well, I am a Landy lover but Merc MLs are better than new Rangies because new Rangies are pimps. To Foxtrot, ATV racing probably doesn't make you a better driver on road or off road because in a race you don't have to follow speed limits and road signs and worry about the police, I agree that it makes you more aware but...

the most powerful Cayenne I can find delivers 500bhp (4.5l twin turbo V8)

bigger car?

The Gemballa GT600 is the, er, "smallest" Cayenne conversion at 600BHP and if that's not enough you can have a 750BHP conversion which puts out just over 1,000Nm of torque.

I only mention it because they are the Cayennes I show any respect to, since my Touareg eats all production Cayennes (which always annoys the bleached blondes driving them cos it's essentially the same car minus the badge and nearly £17,000) as it has 750Nm of torque vs even the Cayenne Turbo 'only' has 620Nm. The only thing I lose on is straight line speed but when the petrol-engined W12 (the Continental GT, Flying Spur engine) Touraeg goes on the market in the UK, then I'll have the Turbo in pure speed as well.

I use mine offroad for work and also as half my mates seem to live in country cottages up inaccessible lanes which turn into lakes at the merest sight of a dark cloud then anything without low range and the capability to control the diff locks individually would be pointless.

There are many people though who have no idea of their power but then that's true of lots of cars. If you're gonna ban 4x4s (and if you do it by transmission designation then bye bye 'cars' such as Panda, Legacy, Suzuki...on second thoughts who'd miss the Suzuki Jimny?!) then also ban the 4x4's Nemesis; the small car for old people, as those driving Nissan Micras in a hat down a derestricted road at 27mph with a travel blanket, nodding plastic dog and box of tissues on the rear parcel shelf pose much more of a threat to world peace!

They have a place, IE on a farm. Suppose same can be said for sports cars, we dont NEED to go over 70mph, but its fun and we can so why not? Im impartial, if i were rich id have one more than likely but then again id actually take it off road.

So people can have sports cars that they don't need because "its fun and we can so why not", but they can't have 4x4s unless they live on a farm?

I don't live on a farm but I have a 4x4 because - it's fun and I can so why not?

Smeg.

"So people can have sports cars that they don't need because "its fun and we can so why not", but they can't have 4x4s unless they live on a farm?"

I said im impartial

"They have a place, IE on a farm. Suppose same can be said for sports cars, we dont NEED to go over 70mph, but its fun and we can so why not? Im impartial, if i were rich id have one more than likely but then again id actually take it off road."

What i didnt see the point in was that actual woman owning a Cayenne when she probably didnt even know what kind of car it was "what kind of car do you own?" "a blue one" etc etc, and she was oblivious to its potential. No point in buying a 1000bhp Skyline for your wife just because she wants something bigger than a hatchback to go shopping in, people can do what they want, just i see a bit of wastage in her owning that particular car. :)

EDIT: Also im jealous :D

Archived