Full Face Protection!

situpking

posting injury pictures is silly, at uk FPS, there is little danger that glasses and a mouthguard cant protect against. Hell out of most airsofters, i take more care of my face, and strangely, i have been hit in the face 3 times in my time playing, thats 5 months or so. One was a toothshot from 10m, and that only stung a little... Hot weapons need to be tackled, not excessive protection which makes us like paintball with realistic markers.... :(

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best full face protection you can get is an s10 gas mask with the canister removed.

I use one in CQB at my local site were some peole do use 330rfps+ SMG,s and we dont use the bang rule.  They work a treat and never fog up and allow you to use iron sights.  :D  :D  :D

S10 FTW

Bad idea - the s10 polycarbonate lenses degrade over time and lose impact integrity. Unless you have the smoked 'antiflash/ballistic' lenses S10's are often not adequate protection, and many sites won't allow them to be used.

posting injury pictures is silly, at uk FPS, there is little danger that glasses and a mouthguard cant protect against. Hell out of most airsofters, i take more care of my face, and strangely, i have been hit in the face 3 times in my time playing, thats 5 months or so. One was a toothshot from 10m, and that only stung a little... Hot weapons need to be tackled, not excessive protection which makes us like paintball with realistic markers.... :(

:D Amen Sister! /o/ :D

posting injury pictures is silly, at uk FPS, there is little danger that glasses and a mouthguard cant protect against.

twaddle. you have seen the pics, ive posted them enough. those shots, with a guaranteed under 328 fps gun broke skin, through a long sleeved shirt, at over 10 metres range. now they are permenant scars. ( that means thay are forever)

so if they had hit my face,where the skin is considerably softer than my forarm, i'd have six dark red scars in close grouping.....

little danger? want those marks on your face in your wedding photo do you? men or women? want to go to an interview and explain them away do you? how about you were traveling home from the game and a policemen stopped to ask about your still bleeding face? want him to take your guns in for testing? have a brain, and think about the consequences of yours and other peoples actions.

How many times do we need to repeat:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/Har...o/EdgeTooth.jpg

Stock TM AEG. At range.

Guys, in all fairness she did mention a mouthguard - I'm not a dentist but I imagine the gumshield would've protected that unfortunate chap from tooth hits.

You probably know my views on the subject from earlier posts - but I do think it's good to keep the debate going and to show people the bad things which can happen. Perhaps that guy had a weakspot in his tooth where the bb caught it? Perhaps many of us are walking around with these faults in our teeth - and are at great risk, I don't know - but I do know of other people being hit in the mouth (particularly in CQB) and not losing a tooth.

Much as Holly said I too have experienced face hits from very close range and on more than one occasion but I've never yet taken an injury from an airsoft game that's even on a par with paintball. Maybe I'm lucky (or leathery) but I do recognise that it's a possibility (along with falling down stairs etc.)

Know the risks, make your choice accordingly....

Just my ha'peth as ever...

Guys, in all fairness she did mention a mouthguard - I'm not a dentist but I imagine the gumshield would've protected that unfortunate chap from tooth hits.

Fair point, well made. Still, I agree with situpking - I wouldn't like to get my face busted up by AEG fire, and a mouthguard can't protect me from that. I particularly wouldn't want to be shot in the face at Electrowerkz ranges :no:

Fair point, well made. Still, I agree with situpking - I wouldn't like to get my face busted up by AEG fire, and a mouthguard can't protect me from that. I particularly wouldn't want to be shot in the face at Electrowerkz ranges  :no:

Also a fair point, well made. :)

TBH I feel that this may well be an individual thing and depends largely on a person's physical make-up. I'm an old git, I've spent a lot of time outdoors and have been fairly fit in my distant past which I think leads to quite taut, leathery skin. A lot of the guys I play alongside (when I do play these days) are fairly hard old knocks with similar backgrounds and who don't seem to ever get cut or bleed from BB impacts either. I know we've all taken close-in hits at a site well known for (let's say powerful) AEGs and that's at silly ranges too (like coming through a doorway and getting a face-full directly from the other side of the door frame). This isn't trying to pose or be macho, it's a genuine experience of airsoft by several, ugly, battered old b*st*rds ;)

If I hadn't seen the photo of the chipped tooth I would've been highly skeptical that AEGs could even do this but upon seeing the picture of the tooth (and the other of bleeding wounds) and reading the impassioned posts (based on experience) of a lot of you guys it's proved that I was wrong, that such injuries can indeed happen. The only experience I have close to this is a story from a guy I know who reckons he squeezed a BB out of his wrist whilst in the bath (thinking it was a boil or infected insect bite) which must've penetrated his glove whilst CQBing at the site I mentioned above. I didn't know whether to believe him then; I still don't!

My feeling is that the unfortunate people who have suffered these injuries (leaving aside the subject of overpowered AEGs because the tooth pic is from a stock TM of course) may have a physical make-up which means they perhaps cut and bruise more easily than other people and of course everyone has different strengths of teeth and bone. This is not a 'macho people don't need to worry and girlies do' kind of post; it's meant to say that all of us are individuals and subject to different backgrounds and subtleties of build. The big trouble is of course, knowing which kind of person you are beforehand, which is definitely problematic..

Now maybe someone who's lived outdoors all their lives, chews six-inch nails for breakfast will write back and say, actually you're wrong on that, bbs affect everyone the same.. however, based on my experience and reading the other posts here it seems to suggest some people are more prone to bb injury than others for whatever reason that may be..

Just a thought, as ever...

This is not a 'macho people don't need to worry and girlies do' kind of post; it's meant to say that all of us are individuals and subject to different backgrounds and subtleties of build. The big trouble is of course, knowing which kind of person you are beforehand, which is definitely problematic..

Exactly, the problem is that if you don't know how much you can take, would you rather try and find out or try and be safe in case? :)

Holly, do you play woodland or CQB?

I recieved a full auto burst to the face at almost point blank round an alcove at my last skirmish. The protection you mention would have been as useful as a chocolate teapot...just wanting to put things into perspective.

I recieve at least 1 face or head shot from short distances at every skirmish I go to..that's the nature of the sites I attend, hence full face is recommened...

btw saying it's silly to post injury pictures, just because you've never recieved one that bad, is in itself, silly. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean to say it never will :)

btw saying it's silly to post injury pictures, just because you've never recieved one that bad, is in itself, silly.

I tend to agree, but when one of the injury pics was caused by a hockey puck I call that silly E-macho ######. A lot of the tine when injury pictures are posted its the posters way of saying "look at me I'm hard". Basicly its down to the individual at most sites whether to wear full face or goggles, with a recomendation that you wear full face, and one would assume a waiver in the sign in sheet/rules that says if you wear goggles and get a tooth blown out its your own damn fault. I think that can pretty much be aplied to this thread, Its been recomended by several users that full face is a good idea, some users decide not to for whatever reason (personaly its the condensation running down my chin...). We're all big boys and girls, and mostly smart enough to know its our own responsibility to take care of ourselves, advice has been given if someone choses not to take that advice its there own problem. ;) There are some sites when you should be wearing full face, mostly CQB like Electrowerks- a 320 fps shot might not break the skin, but theres a good chance it will- in fact I've been blasted point blank full auto with guns higher and not bled but shot from 15 feet away with a 300 fps gun that caused a bleeder due to the angle. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't, there are other factors that play a part in how much a BB will do other than FPS.

Full face, especially in woodland, sounds like a nanny talking to her children.

Eye protection is the requirment in airsoft and that's fair. However, my face, my teeth, etc. One thing is "all these injuries don't give airsoft a good image"

Buutttt...do we play airsoft to "look good to the public" or "because we enjoy it"? You can say we compromise, so as to not jeapordize the sport, but I beg to differ. This country has rules and guidelines for everything...how old people can safely wear slippers ffs. A guy at school has scars all up his arm from paintball, but that's "acceptable" because paintball is...well, umm, paintball. Let's face it, airsoft is hardly ever likely to be a big hitter with the public because we have full-blown replicas, a media that exaggerates everthing and a thick-as-shiz Government.

If an airsofter says "I wear specs and that does fine for me", let them be. If they get their face chewed up - who loses out? Exactly.

There's a ravine at my site; a nasty fall down their could break my neck or any of my other bones quite easily. What protection should I wear here? Harness..?

,Mar 8 2006, 12:34 PM]Full face, especially in woodland, sounds like a nanny talking to her children.

Eye protection is the requirment in airsoft and that's fair. However, my face, my teeth, etc. One thing is "all these injuries don't give airsoft a good image"

Buutttt...do we play airsoft to "look good to the public" or "because we enjoy it"? You can say we compromise, so as to not jeapordize the sport, but I beg to differ. This country has rules and guidelines for everything...how old people can safely wear slippers ffs. A guy at school has scars all up his arm from paintball, but that's "acceptable" because paintball is...well, umm, paintball. Let's face it, airsoft is hardly ever likely to be a big hitter with the public because we have full-blown replicas, a media that exaggerates everthing and a thick-as-shiz Government.

If an airsofter says "I wear specs and that does fine for me", let them be. If they get their face chewed up - who loses out? Exactly.

There's a ravine at my site; a nasty fall down their could break my neck or any of my other bones quite easily. What protection should I wear here? Harness..?

I kinda think you're missing the point of the thread.

It's pinned in Newbie discussion for a reason and was prompted by several VERY nasty injuries that occured in a short spate of time through the use of inadequate protection.

The purpose of the thread is not so much to say "You must wear full face all the time and gaffer tape it to your head so it never comes off" but rather to make people, and particularly newbies, aware just how much damage can be done by a stock TM gun if you are unlucky.It's for users to post the experiences in favour of full face, particulalry in relation to CQB. Having seen many injuries (including the poor ###### in the original post) due to not wearing proper protection, I would always advocate full face protection of some kind.

Having scars all up your arm is going to look nasty whatever the cause, but think about those same scars on your face - that's never going to happen in paintball because full face is mandatory.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice. The purpose of this thread was to make people better informed, that's all.Far too many airsofter's go through games with inadequate protection, and they can end up getting seriously injured because of it.

All we're wanting is for players to think for a second about their own personal safety so site organisers don't have to deal with some poor ###### collapsing screaming in the middle of the game zone because they thought the safety specs they stole from their chemistry lab would take a 350fps bb at close range.

after reading this and seeing some pics, im getting a balacava, i know its not good face protection but will help the stin a little, full front and side glasses/googles and a gum shield which i already own, I will mostly be going to section 8 in glasgow and it's woodland so it's not as bad but during the summer when i'll be going to fallout as its CQC it could be worse hense the gum shield etc,

thanks to this thread im going to protect myself :)

Full face, especially in woodland, sounds like a nanny talking to her children.

Buutttt...do we play airsoft to "look good to the public" or "because we enjoy it"?

I enjoy it much better when my teeth are in tact, thanks. The image of airsoft that it portrays to the outside world isn't really the issue.

Erm, the smart idea would be to stay away from it... :mellow:

I'm going to prove this next weekend a new secure combination,

I've bought the BOLLE XT-800, to probe the combination use with a Neoprene Mask.

I was thinking of doing that combo, but the mask got a bad review, if you look on the review database. So I'm probably just gonna stick with a full face, the JT paintball ones look nice.

I was thinking of doing that combo, but the mask got a bad review, if you look on the review database. So I'm probably just gonna stick with a full face, the JT paintball ones look nice.

The half face neoprene got a bad review. Anyone I know who has the full face neoprene sings its praises.

Full face masks is compulsory for CQB, i got shot many a times in the head and it isnt nice, i wear glasses for CQB, a very stupid idea i know, im gonna buy a face mask tonight and use the glasses for woodland.

Well, that's getting back to the original point: It's not compulsory at all sites, but in certain environments it's definitely beneficial.

Archived