Tokyo Marui MP7A1 stripping guide

gunner-airsoft

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as promised, there was an MP7 nestling in my suitcase on my return from HK :P Along with an M14, 2xWE Hi-Capas and an AK47S (for a friend) + a stack of spares and other parts (charger, chrono, loaders, etc)

It is indeed a lovely piece of kit :D

I got a 6.04 barrel for it too.

I'm quite impressed with the range given it's low 260fps (with the TB, 242 without)

For indoors it's perfect, and even outdoors it can hold it's own against other AEGs up to a point, you just need to be a bit more 'tactical' (read sneaky :P;) )

It feels nice whether using like a pistol or with the stock out and sights up.

I've modded the charger cradle with a Tamiya plug, just make sure you get the polarity right if you do the same. The polarity of the receptacle is marked on the charger plug.

• 2 weeks later...

Appologies for the double post, but the window for editing has gone. I've managed to now fit the laylax upgrade pack i got yesterday for my MP7.

After struggling a bit to get the rather fiddly and awkward gearbox back together, its firing nicely. However, i've noticed that there is now a definite burning sort of smell coming from the motor. Would this just be normal as a result of the motor having to work a bit harder to cycle the gearbox with the heavier spring, or should i be worried ? If you read this Far East, have you noticed it at all on yours ?

Back when i owned my M15 i got a similar sort of smell, but im concerned here as there arent any replacement options for the MP7 that i know of.

• 2 weeks later...

The laylax pack is a spring, spring guide & piston head. I bought mine from Guns N Guys for HKD 300. I myself was quite tempted to get the PDI barrel and see what it could do, but opted for the Laylax 6.03 standard length. I think theres a time and a place for 6.01 barrels, and it shouldnt be in an AEG on full auto. I couldnt be arsed with the additional length flash hider to cover it up either tbh.

Im afraid i wont be at GZ for a few weeks now as its exam time at uni, so i best actually do some work over the next couple of weeks ! Pretty annoyed as its the weekender too, so i miss that :( If its of any use, my MP7 now gets .2's to go as far as the furthest target on the range on a flat path, and they go slightly beyond that before dropping completely.

Thanks Shard, will pop over an order I think!

You are probably right about the 6.01 (lowest bore I have ever tried in an aeg is 6.03 so have no idea if they jam more) but I just fancied extending it into the barrel.

If I get it I will give you an update.We have a chrono in the team too, so I will give a FPS update when I get the upgrades

BTW are you still using the stock battery and whats the ROF like after the upgrade? I dont really want to use a PEQ as I dont think they will look right on an MP7.

No worries mate. Yeah im still using the stock batteries atm (I have two). From what i noticed there wasnt any real decrease in rof at all. I never bothered with a tamiya connector mod, so i cant properly discharge my batteries though - i figure as and when they die from abuse i will get the laylax external battery adaptor, a battery sling, and a beefy capacity 7.2v to replace them :lol:

Nice one on the 6.01, i would be interested to see what it can do. PDI do the 242 in 6.05 too, and i had good results off a 6.05 of theirs back when i had my hi capa. That could be a good compromise if you want it extended still ?

I figure i got approximately 20 fps boost off the 6.03 barrel, and an additional 20 or so off the upgrade pack. Mines running about 280 fps now, a bit lower than i had expected, but still a nice boost from the stock power. I still havent got round to opening it up again, as i want to have a look at the internals after using it upgraded for the first time and see how they are holding up. If i see anything interesting i will post here, as and when i egt round to doing it !

hmm.. would really like to get it upto 300fps, lets hope the extended barrel does the job! only problem is I am struggling to find a HK retailer for it. (I really want to be able to run around with it as a primary, have done it many times with my mp5K, its so nice to be so mobile)

Good news about the ROF,but the only thing that annoys me is the delay on trigger response, I might try the TM prolight when it is released, hopefully the higher mah eill give it a slightly better discharge rate.

If you are not using the tamia mod, how are you charging the batts?

It was a real easy mod to do, and means I can charge my batts on my propeak charger :)

Its sort of laziness, as i sold my primary (AEG) last year, and hadnt intended to have another AEG ever (Bought a B/A & had a GBB). I couldnt be arsed to buy another charger after selling the one i had,so instead bought a stepdown transformer for the Jap plug / voltage. Its worked fine so far but its not ideal.

I'll chrono mine again somewhen as im not entirely sure i had the chrono set up 100%, but i would still think 300 could be possible :)

Thank you for the guide gunner. I had an easy time taking down the MP7 but having a more difficult time putting the gearbox back together. Would be grateful if someone could answer my questions below:

post-15725-1147833014_thumb.jpg

First of all where does the middle part go? I was thinking it connects to where the red arrow points to but that doesnt seem to fit well..

post-15725-1147833158_thumb.jpg

Now secondly when i try to push the spring back in, does the piston cog have to be on the rear side sector gear cog or can the piston be all the way inside the cylinder when i push the spring in? Seems like its pretty difficult to keep the piston in place if it needs to be on the gear cog...

Thanks in advance!

Wchieng,

I had a similar bout of confusion over that part myself. It functions as the motor adjustment arm. I used your image to show the orientation of the arm & the casing. Basically the hole sits on the little stub. The sort of triangle shaped part's outer edge sits on the right hand side of the motorspindle, with the tip of it touching the washer on the motor. The squared off bottom edge then sits poking into the gap cut out at the front of the gearbox. Then just slip the other part of the gearbox casing onto the top.

I didnt think i had it right at first, but as long as its in there, when you close the gearbox up it will fit together as it did before :)

Thanks Shard. Thats the only place i thought it should be going but wasnt too sure because the other gearbox casing doesnt seem to close too well. But the gearbox is finally closed again.. fingers crossed that it still runs :)

is there a way i could test the gearbox without putting everything back into the gun?

No worries, glad i could help. To test the gearbox,just put the minimal parts back together to fit the gearbox (I.e. gearbox spacer, endcap w/ pins in & connect the wires up)

It should be fine, if you got it closed everything is probably in the right place as it all needs to line up just to close the damn thing as im sure you found. Certainly not the easiest gearbox to mess about with :D . As a side note, is that the laylax airseal cylinder you have in yours now ?

yea i had bought a couple of Laylax parts for the gearbox - cylinder, spring, piston head, spring guide, bearings as well as the 6.03 barrel.. some parts was made originally for the M93R like the bearing but supposively the Mp7 share the same parts.. will give it a shot and let you guys know of the results soon.. (hoping it would go around 280-300fps)

mmm bummer good and bad news. Good is that the FPS now averages 288, which is pretty decent.. bad is that somehow ive lost the single shot.. so that it only does multi shot on both single / multi firing mode.. opened up the gearbox 3 times now to double check but cant find any faults.. anyone got any ideas?

Check the semi auto cutoff - i think Static's Guide for takedown says that it stops you being able to have auto, rather than semi if you dont hook it up right, but maybe thats the cause. (Basically you need to make sure that the little arm coming out the top of the gearbox clips into the plastic part above it).

Not a bad FPS - i've got the same internals as you by the sounds of it, but dont have the cylinder for the little extra fps. On a side note i've just had mine open this evening to check how the internals were holding up under the more powerful spring and just to have a look over in general to see if everything was ok. It seems the gears and such are fine after the 1000 rounds or so i have run through it since the upgrade :)

No, mines still the stock one at the moment. There definitely wasnt any wear or scoring on the teeth of the piston though so i think it should be fine to keep using it. I'll open it up in around another 3000 rounds and see if its the same situation then, first impressions it would appear upto the job even with the stronger spring :)

Just heard of a 6.01mm barrel for the mp7 which is 242mm from PDI (i imagin probably have to use the silencer to cover the extension). Had anyone tried this and if so caused any problems like jams and such?

How much of an improvement would there likely to be?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived