Piston Upgrade Advice Requested

Murph

Okay, so my upgrades would have been fine, except my gears destroyed a Area1000 PolyCarb Piston. I searched around by didn't find any good reviews of upgrade parts.

Right now I have a 9.6v 2000mah and Systema Flat Gears... Other things here and there.

Anyone have any suggestions for a replacement piston?

FYI here's a picture of the first tooth that got cracked off.

post-305-1095178221_thumb.jpg

really odd, how many bb's has been fired?

what spring is used?

I have really nothing but good experiance with guarders pistons along with G&P's. I also heard good things about the Prometheus piston ... even if they had some minor flaws in the beginning.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is UK limits.  I haven't found where the latest revision of the Forum rules are.  Can you point me in their direction?

Rules

If I have worked out how to sue the HTML then click "rules" and it should take you there. For quick reference though 328FPS W/0.2G rounds (or 1 Joule, whichever you want to use).

Murph never mentioned any spring rate or muzzle velocity. Just because a part is broken doesn't necessarily mean that a "forum restricted" spring was used.

Murph: What gearbox, cylinder head and piston head you were using? I've sometimes seen slight measurement errors in CA boxes, and some piston heads require a certain cylinder head to match. Otherwise the piston might be positioned a little too back or forth, which could easily break it regardless of the brand.

-Sale

does the gun have an extremely high rate of fire? over 1,250 rpm I mean? (if it sound a lot faster than other peoples aegs then use your computer to record a wav file of it firing, and then count the peaks in the wav file between the end of the one second marker and the sixth second marker, multiply that figure by 12, and thats your rpm.)- ah.. not possible with broken piston. Doh!

If so, then I've seen this problem before, about three or four times, and no matter what you do- it will keep happenning, as you have chosen to make your gun fire faster than its supposed to. Go for a readily available supply of cheap pistons, as you will eat them quite quickly if your ROF is as high as I suspect.

I've heard of systema pistons (area 1000 is systema) having some recent problems with the plastic being unusually brittle recently. I haven't had any problems with black systema polycarbs, or blue guarders as Nuno said. I've heard of the piston head coming slightly loose and throwing things out of wack, you might want to check that it isn't problematic.

Alex "Col Sanders"

SubzeroMTH@AOL.com

I have seen this before on upgraded ICS m4’s (m120). In the case of the ICS I attributed this poor alignment of the piston and sector gear. (Piston seems to go just a tad to far in some of the 2 part mechs after they have been taken down a few times.) Looks like the same thing.

Did you change the cylinder head and the piston head? If its a stock head it may not be fitting correctly and allowing the piston to travel further than required causing poor alignment when the gear comes back to pick up the piston for the compression cycle. If the piston head does not fit snugly in the gearbox (you have l movement in the same direction as spring travel) it may be worth a cylinder / piston head upgrade. I recommend to folks that the do not do one without the other.

Additionally please upgrade your spring guide as well if not done so already. Misalignment of the spring during the compression cycle can place additional force on the mechanism during compression.

Gear timing is not a factor in the version 2 mech – the piston and gear set operate completely independently for half of the shot cycle. Timing (better referred to as synchronization in AS) is established between the gear and piston at the beginning of the piston compression cycle for each shot

As recommended the G&P is a great replacement piston .

Hope this helps :D

A rather high rate of fire shouldn't necessarily lead to the shredding of your piston.

An AUG I had was firing at 1360rpm for quite some months with a standard piston with no ill effects. Even though you might expect a standar piston to give up before the gears (because plastic vs metal sounds like no contest) the piston has quite tough plastic as opposed to the relatively brittle standard gears.

It sounds more to me as if something wasn't quite right in the first place if the piston has shredded. Either that or the teeth on the piston were shabby to begin with and were on their way out anyway (unlikely with an aftermarket one though).

I suspect the piston was struggling to slide back & forth freely which resulted in much higher than normal stresses on it leading to premature failure.

It seems that because the aluminium is less inherently flexible than the polycarbonate pistons, the vibration is absorbed by the mechbox as it slams forward. With polycarb pistons, it is the piston itself that absorbs a lot of the impact.

Makes scientific sense.

It seems that because the aluminium is less inherently flexible than the polycarbonate pistons, the vibration is absorbed by the mechbox as it slams forward.  With polycarb pistons, it is the piston itself that absorbs a lot of the impact.

Makes scientific sense.

Bah. Id rather have it vibrate a little more than eat my piston every 3000 shots.

Just to take out some of the confusion that has arised about my upgrade...

I have an upgraded spring guide and also a new polycarb piston head (duh?)

Anyways... It seems that things have boiled down to a debate between Alum vs. Poly pistons. I've heard bad and good things about both. I guess I'm just trying to make a decision at this point.

Guarder Poly Carb blue piston.

THe aluminum pistons and piston heads will make your gun a lot louder. It will be more of a "CRACK" sound. Now to me i dont like the idea of aluminum piston heads, especially on a TM gear box. Metal hitting metal dont sound like a good idea to me. Now if i for some reason was going to use an aluminum piston head i would only do it on a reinforced gear box.

Archived