black hawk down

blade3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey are the last five pictures that DOC posted the real thing, not from the movie?

No, theyre all from the movie.

The ones with close ups of guys are of background Delta actors (you never see them close up).

They had generic 'Delta kit' and one even sports a M4A1 which is technically inaccurate (and i gather XM177E2's werent used in the '93 op either, so their usage is inaccurate too)

Also the real deal wore full protec helmets, not the half-cuts featured in the film.

The closest vest you can get off the shelf are ones for the Sgt Sanderson impression:

BHI Tactical Urban Assault Vest:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.as...duct_id=1193&d=

Tactical Tailor vests:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?Pa...ATS&Category=17

i use the latter as its a bit closer to what Sanderson wore regarding the front arrangement and it is mesh-based, while the rear arrangement of the BHI Urban Assault vest is closer to the one featured in the film (note on the front there are fastex buckles and no zip enclosures).

Hoot and the others are more difficult because the vests they appear to wear are highly customised cut down, fastex buckling types, of which there is no immediate vest that is close to them.

Easily available chest rigs etc are then worn over this mesh-based vest, which in turn covers [easily-available in replica form] PT body armour.

hth

That TT vest looks nearly just like it..except for the back and the first few pouches above the "30 round" mag pouches.

How easy is it to remove these pouches that are sewn on?

DOC, any pics of Sgt. Sanderson that you would like to share? :D

Thanks!

The gun he uses is an M727 or airsoft wise...an M4A1 with a fixed carrying handle and M733 foregrips or an M733 with an M4 outer barrel.

No. The M727 is a fully automatic M4. Back in '93 there were no M4s yet. What Hoot has, is probably a M720, which is basically a M733 with a longer barrel - not a M4 barrel though, which is different (being a 'stepped' barrel).

yep, been there before.

the BHD thing always comes up in a never ending cycle...

based on this and much other stuff, i went for the M16A2 carbine, A2 upper, A2 barrel, blah blah blah

interesting:

Originally Posted By Sinister:

I am a career Regular Army Special Forces Officer. In 1984 at the US Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School the carbines were marked "M16A1 Carbine", were select fire (auto), had 14.5-inch "Pencil" barrels and the "Original" vinyl-coated aluminum buttstock. Very few had the Vietnam-era 11.5-inch short "Commando" barrel.

By 1987 in 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group in Okinawa, Japan we had Colt M723 Carbines. The receivers were marked "M16A2 Carbine", upper receivers were M16A1, were also semi and full, and had what is now known as the M4 barrel profile (for an M203). The stocks were the newer plastic butts.

In 1990 at Fort Lewis, Washington we still had standard M16A2 full-length rifle with burst selectors.

The Marines finished XM4 R&D and standardization trials in 1993, and US Special Operations Command let the first contracts for I believe 5,500 M4A1 Carbines for delivery in 1994. The US Army ordered standard M4s (burst fire and A2 uppers) for the 82nd Airborne Division and the 101st Airborne Division, and to replace the M3 Grease Gun in armor and mechanized units and for platoon leaders and radio operators.

By September 1994 for the invasion of Haiti I got a brand-new M4A1. I took it out of the vapor-barrier wrap paper in August 1994 and promptly mounted an M203 on it. All previous Carbines I had seen before then had A1 or A2 carrying handles and were stamped "M16A2 Carbine", and were full select-fire. I did not see any flat-tops until we got the M4A1s.

Short M16A2 "Commando" Carbines (11.5-inch barrels) with OPS INC suppressors had the M16A1 or M16A2 upper (still no flat-tops until we received the M4A1s).

By July 1995 all SF ODA Soldiers in Okinawa had M4A1 Carbines.

Okay, so this is what i have down so far:

PT body armor (replica)

Blackhawk DOAV vest (remove the top few pouches and zipper)

OD butt pack attatched to vest via BTS

A few OD pouches attatched to web belt

Black web belt

Otto Engineering lightweight headset

Protec Skate helmet

Hatch knee and elbow pads

Black boots

Is this accurate?

Thanks

Okay, so this is what i have down so far:

PT body armor (replica)

Blackhawk DOAV vest (remove the top few pouches and zipper)

OD butt pack attatched to vest via BTS

A few OD pouches attatched to web belt

Black web belt

Otto Engineering lightweight headset

Protec Skate helmet

Hatch knee and elbow pads

Black boots

Is this accurate?

Thanks

Pretty accurate.

The DOAV doesn't have a zipper. You might want the DOAV, and rip off all of the pouches, and then get an 8 mag chest harness, Blackhawk makes one. You will also want one or two one quart canteen pouches. Also they wore Alta knee pads, but otherwise sounds great.

Pretty accurate.

The DOAV doesn't have a zipper. You might want the DOAV, and rip off all of the pouches, and then get an 8 mag chest harness, Blackhawk makes one. You will also want one or two one quart canteen pouches. Also they wore Alta knee pads, but otherwise sounds great.

Sweet. Dosen't have a zipper? Hmm...I'm thinking on purchasing this knock off DOAV and it looks like it does. (Would you know where I can find a "cheaper" DOAV clone?)

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.322764...it.A/id.3157/.f

Thanks!

Sweet. Dosen't have a zipper? Hmm...I'm thinking on purchasing this knock off DOAV and it looks like it does. (Would you know where I can find a "cheaper" DOAV clone?)

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.322764...it.A/id.3157/.f

Thanks!

The Blackhawk DOAV is pretty expensive I know, but I think it is one of the only ones that fits its specifications. It has the BTS Webbing on the back, and it has a buckle. I will try searching around a little more.

The otto Engineering headset

Ooh let's see:

Somalia - 1993

M4 first comes into service - 1994. So gensolo3 gets the point, and is allowed another spin of the wheel.

(I take it that any M4's in Somalia were being tested by all the hardcore sneaky beaky elite boys? Colt Model 720 selective-fire carbine?)

Thanks for the pics.

I just picked up the Deluxe version of the DVD and it is great!

I am 100% sure that Gary Gordon and possibly Sgt. Sanderson wore the Urban Op vest from Blackhawk. That vest has caught my eye, but is the pouch on the back removable? Or is it sewn on? I would have prefered BTS attatchment points on the back rather than a pouch.

thanks!

as i said in previous posts, the BHI vest is accurate for the back [which is not removable] but for the front, the TT riflemans vest [as i posted earlier] is more accurate.

i never looked at what gordon had as everyone else was doing him!

and the majority of Delta seemed to wear H-harness ALICE, not the more usual Y-harness, which you see the Rangers wear.

• 1 month later...

Archived