Which CIRAS to get?

rasheem

Hi, I decided to switch to a CIRAS vest after using a replica IBA for almost a year now. The real ones are way to expensive so I'm looking into getting the best replica of the CIRAS. After some searching on here, it looks like the Phantom one is better than the Proud one but I saw this Milspex one on Redwolf and haven't heard much about it so I'm not sure how it would compare to the Phantom one. Judging from the pics, the CB and the OD on the Milspex look better than the Khaki and OD on Phantom's and is $20 cheaper but I'm wondering about the build quality. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...menu2=173#19864

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can only vouch for the phantom version, but from what i know/been told it is one of the best ones, bar the real eagle vest.

I've had the phantom ciras for about 2 months and it's been through it all with me and it still looks as fresh as a daisy (when i can be bothered to wash it!)

I can't see any noticable defects with the stitching, build quality etc etc, once the vest is on your chest, theres no way it's going to come off, unless you pull the tab that is ;)

Do the others come with foam plates? the phantom one does, and they're a godsend, because they obliterate any pain you might of felt before, but you can still feel a slight tap and a thud of the bb's hitting you.

I hope this is of some use as i absolutely love my ciras!

Tim

Comparison of RW's photos seem to show that the Phantom version includes the plate padding, while the Milspex version does not. So the question becomes, are you willing to pay $20 extra for foam padding? If you are willing spend that much on a vest in the first place, 10% (or could be thought of as paying the tax) isn't too bad for peace of mind. :) Also, the Milspex version comes with 4 double M4 pouches, whereas the Phantom version seems to come with only 3.

One question though. I see RW carries Phantom versions without an (S) and those with an (S), as can be seen near the bottom of this page. I assume the (S) refers to the Small size. If that's the case, how small is (S)? What is the recommended height and girth?

The real CIRAS is sized based upon the size of the soft-armor used, it is fully adjustable. A good method for sizing a CIRAS is to take you're BDU shirt size, and go one size smaller for mobility, or same size for protection, this only refers to the EAGLE, dunno if Phantom replicated the adjustments to such a degree.

In short:

Mobility: BDU shirt size (minus) one size = CIRAS size

Protection: BDU shirt size = CIRAS size.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Thanks for all the help guys! I've decided to get the Phantom CIRAS Land Version in OD. Small size works perfect for mobility since I normally wear a Medium BDU shirt. Maybe once I get a job I'll go for the real deal but the replica will suit my needs for now. :)

Might be worth checking TAG's store, too. They have literally a straight copy of the CIRAS out now, it's about $100 cheaper, but TAG's stuff is still the sh*t quality-wise.

It's not as cheap as the Phantom replicas, but it is cheaper than Eagle's, and the vest is almost the same.

EDIT: Direct link

Might be worth checking TAG's store, too. They have literally a straight copy of the CIRAS out now, it's about $100 cheaper, but TAG's stuff is still the sh*t quality-wise.

It's not as cheap as the Phantom replicas, but it is cheaper than Eagle's, and the vest is almost the same.

EDIT: Direct link

holy ######! needed a place for a good quality but a bit cheaper CIRAS! Thanks HaV

Ok, I'm going to get a Phantom one, but for quite a bit of a lower price than Redwolf :P

But...

Which one? Land Version or Maritime? Land version LOOKS nicer with the front flap, but the positioning of the maritime's quick release looks nicer...

I would say stay away from replica vests. Stay far away, if it is not Guarder or WGC custom. That being said, if you want a CIRAS look alike get the vest that hendrix linked to.

And about the sizes, here is an even more simple way to size it. Your regular shirt size, and that is your vest size. It is simple and it works ;)

Vince, no offense mate, but not everyone can afford real gear, and some people just dont want it. There are tons of people running replica gear that's ok. For the price of the Phantom or Milspex vest, they're excellent vests.

If you are going for a MEU impression, get the Marine Version. The CIRAS MV is a bit more "oh *beep*, I'm sinking" friendly than the LV, mainly due to the position of the release tab.

Cheers,

Mike

:cookiemonster:

Archived