4cyl engine

shankskank

i am about to buy a subaru impreza rs 2.5, but i heard recently from a consumer reports guy that i would be lucky to get 130 thousand miles out of the engine before something goes wrong with it (the reason being its a high-performance 4 cylinder engine). is this true? ive been looking around for quite some time now, and ive seen people selling the same car with 150 thousand miles easily and i talked to one guy who used his engine for 275 thousand miles before he had to replace a piston or something like that

not that it matters that much, but if you dont know what the car looks like:

post-6453-1146669511_thumb.jpg

130k is alot of miles. If you really like your car, get an engine rebuild by the time it craps out.

My car has 144k and it's still going strong, but it's a 0cylinder performance engine ;) .

Hehe, with less than 100 miles on the clock they are prone to blowing up as well :P

I've blown two WRX versions just taking them off the docks.

Luck of the draw and how its been driven, driving like a old woman can be as bad as thrashing the *albartroth* of a car, be nice to it, regular servicing and the occasional good thrashing and it'll see you for many happy miles of motoring.

That shell optimax stuff (petrol) helps as well, for high performance engines its well worth it.

i can assure you that this car will be treated very well, definetely no granny driving, i will be doing as much maintenace work on the car as possible

i posted a topic on a website dedicated purely to this car (rs25.com) and there are lots of people with their car at 200k, one guy was at 135k with no engine problems, and like i said before, there was even one guy who had his engine at 275k with its first problem

TBH I'd expect these engines to last longer than a 'normal' one, everything on them is toughened for a start, they are designed to take a battering and keep on running.

I'm a vauxhall man myself, my last Astra hit 170k before the head gasket went, again mixture of steady and fast driving, regular oil changes. It does not take a lot to keep a car running.

Stay away from the modded ones as you wont know eactly what has been done and will no doubt have been thrashed. Go for a mitzi evo vIII fq400. I got one imported and its been good for 210,000 and still going strong. A little underpowered(405bhp) :P but even if you go for the evo ix fq320 you will never want to get back into a scooby. I used to love scoobs but a friend got a mitsi fq300 for a company car and let me take it out for a spin. I loved it and there seemed to be slightly more low down torque than my brothers sti. Anyway this is not a Mitsubishi advert so go for that scoob and make sure it hasnt been *fruitcage*ed with.

im a big sccoby fan and used to go out with a girl who was a diehard mitsubishi fan she took an evo 5 out and then took a wrx out she fell in love with the scoob and waited till we split up to buy one to rub in my face lol anyway

ive heard diffrent things about both ive been out in an impreza and an evo 5 i enjoyed the scoobs ride more,

i suppose it all depends on what your into to begin with and what sort of ride you expect the main problem ive noticed is people compare an evo to a scoob turbo which isnt really fair now put an evo against a p1 or a 22b and its a more even race having saying that i loved the evo it just didnt suit my style.

Yep you are right its definately all down to preference some people will get more out of a scooby than an evo and vice versa.

Mines 0-60mph time is qouted by EVO(uk car mag) at 4.0 seconds which is not too bad. a little slow for my likeing :P I wanted to go for an Skyline R34 but was too expensive+ alot of people say the r33 is better value for money.

Anyways sorry for ruining your thread mate. Definately go for a full service history 22b=Nice shape great chassis.

The amount of milage you get out of an engine and the car as a whole is dependant on the way you drive it. Be smooth with the car gearchanges etc avoid dumping the clutch. when you start the car up let it idle for about 1 minute before you drive off so the oil can warm up and circulate the engine fully so you dont get metal on metal with no lubrication inbetween. All this will save you money and fuel.For instance i got mates that burn out £400 worth of rubber at a cruise in a night. I however saved my money by watching the twats instead of joining them and put my money towards a great car(which i am still paying for).

You could invest in some performance pistons and rings which on a standard engine will not improve performance but increase reliability.

They're actually importing that to the US in spring 2008, they must be breaking tradition because of Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. :mellow:

my faves actually the r32GTR fell in love with the r32 from the day i saw it

im actually looking for a road legal car i can use for weekend track drifting, trying to decide on the 200sx or the ae86 at the moment,

cant belive the diffrence in prices compared to the UK

Don't ever get the P.O.S. that is the R33.  If you get the R33, I will make it my business to hunt you down and slap you very, VERY hard for buying such utter ######.

Viper, Whats the spec on your Rotory engined lovely! Sorry shankskank, for ruining your thread i just luuuuuuv cars. 200sx gets my vote pugboy ;)

Archived