Product Defect/Safety Warning - TM M14

Kokanee

I cut and pasted this from my original post on AirsoftCanada. Doesn't really apply to our Brit friends, but for the rest of us in the colonies I thought this might be relevant.

Assuming your refering to US and Canada then I really don't appreciate you refering to the US as a colony. We actually fought for our indepedence...

:usflag:

Sledge - Actually here in Canada we don't have brick and mortar retailers whom provide warranties, and at no point was I suggesting that I should be getting anything free.. Please educate yourself on the airsoft situation in Canada before you go shooting your mouth of please.

Dude, it was just a comment on the situation and he made a good point in what he said. Also I don't really see how he was suggesting you were trying to get anything you didnt deserve.

OK this said bring on the flaming :flamed:

------------------------------------------------

Oh by the way thank you for the information on this defect. I was thinking about getting one but I guess I'll stay away from the TM M14.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Still, if you open a product up and mess about with the internals, it's going to be on you to prove whatever went wrong WASN'T caused by you. Moral of the story: don't mess with guns if they're still under warranty. Unless you don't mind losing the warranty. :)

Unless you bought it in the UK and it's still less than six months since purchase.

In which case the responsibility lies with the retailer to prove that the problem was not a manufacturing defect.

Which would be easily proved if the gun is opened and aftermarket parts are found installed.

So really I'm just being pedantic.

But wanted to clear up that little bit of knowledge re. consumer law ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Received a new cutoff lever last week. Installed it (in addition to an unrelated guarder cylinder set upgrade) and viola! semi-auto.

I was inundated with requests from other users on ASC as to where I was able to source my spare part. Seems that quite a few others have had their cutoff levers wear out.

AOD, regardless of what is causing it (I am completely willing to agree it may be something other than the spring), there clearly exists a problem with the current design and this is leading to failures.

Is it arrogant to think that an airsoft rifle shouldn't fail like this? Perhaps. However, a Marui AEG failing after less than a 1000 rounds is in my books cause for alarm.

Other users have indicated a wide variety of parts installed at the point of failure, ranging from mechboxes that are stock except for a stronger spring and metal bushings, to mexhboxes that are practically entirely "3rd party" like mine.

Lol, and no, no flaming for poorieuser... Perhaps he's just bitter that we won our independence by asking nicely :)

Received a new cutoff lever last week. Installed it (in addition to an unrelated guarder cylinder set upgrade) and viola! semi-auto.

I was inundated with requests from other users on ASC as to where I was able to source my spare part. Seems that quite a few others have had their cutoff levers wear out.

AOD, regardless of what is causing it (I am completely willing to agree it may be something other than the spring), there clearly exists a problem with the current design and this is leading to failures.

Is it arrogant to think that an airsoft rifle shouldn't fail like this? Perhaps. However, a Marui AEG failing after less than a 1000 rounds is in my books cause for alarm.

Other users have indicated a wide variety of parts installed at the point of failure, ranging from mechboxes that are stock except for a stronger spring and metal bushings, to mexhboxes that are practically entirely "3rd party" like mine.

Lol, and no, no flaming for poorieuser... Perhaps he's just bitter that we won our independence by asking nicely :)

Perhaps, but how many people have Tokyo Marui M14s that Don't have this problem? while talking gearboxes with the Mech-box-guru at my local site he never even mentioned the M14.

is it not possible that playing in Canadian summer heat/winter cold has caused this abnormal wear? can you rule out a duff batch? or a single ingot of sub-standard alloy for the parts? why don't you check the consistency between the old and new cutoff lever?

is it not possible that playing in Canadian summer heat/winter cold has caused this abnormal wear? can you rule out a duff batch? or a single ingot of sub-standard alloy for the parts? why don't you check the consistency between the old and new cutoff lever?

A bad batch of material is pretty much all that's left I agree. The new lever actually does look different in colour/texture.

I'll see how this new one holds out, should be able to get in some games around 0 celcius in a month or so, haha.

Well, I have been running my M14 on SP120 and skirmish about 4 times with it now. I skirmished about 3-4 times stock before that. I also run on a 8.4 3300nimh batt. Other than the spring, it is still stock. I always tried sticking to semi-auto. I am kinda lazy to take it apart and check for any wear, but my semi-auto still works just fine. Also, did those people on ASC actually say they had it wear out. I can see people getting worried about their lever and wanting to know where they can get replcments or how they can reinforce it. Anyways, I will continue to use my M14, and if anything happens, I'll make sure to add myself to that list of worn out levers. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I may add my opinion, this is Guarder's fault, not Marui's.

A FTK means "full tune up kit". Which means it doesn't need any additional parts to upgrade the gun. All parts which would or might get worn out due to a more powerful spring get replaced - so we get stronger bushings, gears, piston etc. But we didn't get the cutoff lever. Turns out we should have gotten it with the FTK.

Guarder obviously did not test the FTK enough to include the cutoff lever into the kit. IMHO, it should be free for all who bought the FTK-46, apology included. But I'm probably dreaming ;).

Right now I cannot participate in any local event because my gun is too powerful for a full auto gun, but cannot fire semi only (which is allowed with the fps FTK delivers).

Archived