ICS M4A1 upper gearboxes

Aaron886

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you fix up all of the crappy internals ICS puts into their guns, you have a gun with a rock solid GB and the convience of the Split GB to boot. Anyway, it would probably be wise to get a piston and a piston head simultaneously (make sure its not an aluminum piston though -- even the ICS Upper GB is not that tough. Also, it mite be good to get a ported piston head). Spring guide, no need for it to match anything in the box -- just make sure its a V2. Same goes for the tappet plate. Spring is anything you want. :P

Since you are building it from scratch, you should avoid the ICS tappets. Beyond that, get a Systema, or, if you can get your hands on them, one of these badboys:

ok, here is what I did on the tappet plate yesterday:

tap1.jpg

I twist it this way and then twist it back....here is the result.

tap2.jpg

The plastic didn`t turn white!!

After doing it 6 times in the same tappet plate, it breaks finally.....

and I tried the red hop up chamber in the CM-028 also, the result is pretty good!!

It increases the fps a little bit, I chronoed the stock 028 at 0.76J with 0.25g bb, after installing the red-hop-up, an old src hop-up bucking and a TM original barrel, it shoots at 0.85-0.87J constantly.

Here is some picture I took:

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

the top one is a original CM-028 front end, the lower one is upgraded with the red-hop-up.

I will test the gears and pistons and all other internal parts in the same CM-028 tomorrow.

Also, it mite not be a bad idea to get a replacement for the ICS tappet in your other GB, and when that one breaks, you can replace it rite away. The Split GB is designed so beautifully that you can replace that broken Tappet plate in the field. Its that quick.

hehe... again mistaken, i meant the gun finally came. :) it's excellent, by the way, extremely impressive accuracy, rate of fire, heft is considerable with all that gorgeous metal. simply incredible.

one problem, however, i've had this maybe twice... i've fired some rough shots on full while testing, frequent radically different length bursts. then, i think i can almost feel that the feel of the cycle is different... like a timing issue (how the heck would that be possible? it's GEARS!) edit- i read tommygun's post on "timing..." thanks a ton.. then all of a sudden, i'll get a short grinding noise (somehow i've never experienced this at the middle of a burst, it's always the end. it doesnt STOP my shooting, it seems to be a response of the gun, not vice versa), and a BB will fall short. it's a little scary, i've opened the split gearbox (simply incredible design, easy to access, sturdy, strong...), and checked all the gears for signs of scratching or excessive wear that might mean grinding gears... but i see nothing. what of the piston i can see is also clear. (also tested the strenght of the gear metal on sector and spur gears, feels good) the bevel looks ok down in the depths of the lower box, and i don't imagine it's the pinion, unless the motor's misadjusted (how to tell?). Maybe it's the anti reversal latch? would that even factor in on auto? (these are bursts, remember.) never a problem on semi whatsoever.

now knowing what i just read from tommygun, i'm leaning toward tappet problem, since ICS tappet plates are reportedly ######...

i'm not sure as to the precision of the barrel, but at about 100 ft, i can consistently hit a soda can on full auto with 0.25g BBs... any burst will put about 75% of its BB's in a 5 inch circular area. anyway, any idea as to the problem i outlined above?

Archived