Marpat Gear

Billy210

I have no problem with wearing real marpat; even the ones with the ega on them. I DO have a problem with putting your real name and rank on them, however.

So people should put names and insignia that are not theirs on their MARPAT, then?

In that case, you may call me General Bob Superbus.

:ph34r:®

So people should put names and insignia that are not theirs on their MARPAT, then?

In that case, you may call me General Bob Superbus.

Well, if you wanted to have a seroius conversation with me on this topic, then I would oblige, but you apparently do not wish to do so. Therefore, I'll put it into even simpler terms so that it is not open to furthur interpretation of any kind...

If I were to put my call sign-playa, on marpat, then that would be fine, as it would be perfectly obvious to all that I was not pretending to be a marine. If I were to put the name "smith" in nametape on my marpat if my last name were smith, then that would be unacceptable as someone who did not know better would assume that I was a member of the USMC. On the subject of rank, it is again o.k. if you put a fake rank or insignia on your uniform. However, if you put something which is in the realm of possibility, such as the single stripe of pfc, then that is unnaceptable.

Please refrain from insulting me any further as I am getting rather tired of it. ;)

If I were to put my call sign-playa, on marpat, then that would be fine, as it would be perfectly obvious to all that I was not pretending to be a marine. If I were to put the name "smith" in nametape on my marpat if my last name were smith, then that would be unacceptable as someone who did not know better would assume that I was a member of the USMC.

But it would be fine if your callsign were Smith?

Let's be frank. The name matters precisely ######. Same with branch tape. If you don't want to be assumed to be the member of a military or para-military force, you're in the wrong sport.

Someone might assume that you're a Marine, but they would be wrong. Simple as. The idea of doing an impression is to look as similar as possible to the real deal without degrading the accomplishments of those particularly personages. In other words the only difference in appearance between someone attempting to do an accurate airborne impression, without debasing the achievements of real paras, is the lack of para wings.

If you start putting fake names on very real uniforms bearing the branch name of a very real branch, then you are insulting the men and women who wear that uniform. You're turning it into something whimsical. Furthermore, you are giving your opponents easy access to intelligence by wearing your callsign, should they intercept your radio transmissions.

The primary case in which placing a false name on a real uniform of a real military is if it's part of a Mil-Sim role play, in which you have created an whole seperate persona (much like members of the SCA do). In this case, it is done to increase the level of immersion. Afterall, doing a Bundeswehr load-out with a last name like Smith will require much suspension of disbelief, even if that is your real last name. In this case it would be better to create an alternate 'persona' for yourself and, perhaps, change the last name on your uniform from 'Smith' to 'Schmidt'. (Of course, like re-enactors, one should learn at least a little bit of the language used to communicate by those who wear the same uniform as the airsofter and re-enactor. So someone doing a USMC load-out should learn the terminology and proper ways of communicating, as far as the USMC is concerned, and someone doing a PLA load-out should at least try to learn some Chinese commands and affirmations/negations, and then use those in their mil-sim airsoft/re-enactor games, so long as they have a team of like-minded individuals using the same unit or military or military branch as their basis for their impression).

On the subject of rank, it is again o.k. if you put a fake rank or insignia on your uniform. However, if you put something which is in the realm of possibility, such as the single stripe of pfc, then that is unnaceptable.

Because, as we all know, non-military organizations don't have ranks. Like the Salvation Army. They don't have any ranks, those dirty communofacist f___tards.

Non-military organizations have their own sets of ranks. Often those ranks will have insignia and names similar, if not identical, to those used by the military. Airsoft organizations are also included in this. It's just as acceptable for the 3rd Marine Airsoft Force to use the rank insignia and names that are used in the USMC as it is for the Salvation Army to use the names of real military ranks for their members, according to station.

Please refrain from insulting me any further as I am getting rather tired of it.  ;)

I have yet to insult you. If you wish me to give you cause to request that I stop insulting you, I would be happy to provide that service for you.

Ultimately, your demands are unreasonable and untennable. Anything is possible.

The USAF may start using Star Trek insignia tomorrow, the Army might start using Star Wars Imperial insignia, the Marines might start using the insignia from Starship Troopers, and Navy might start using the insignia from Battlestar Gallactica. Which would make all those individuals who wear those insignias when they airsoft in the moral wrong (as far as you're concerned), simply because it is within the realm of possibility that a real-world military might use those insignias.

Further, what seems like a callsign to you, might actually be someone's real name (and vice versa), as in the case of Wiccans, Amerindians, and other ethnic and religious groups.

Jagdraben is very right on what he's said. That stuff about not wearing the EGA or Marines Bracnh Name tag is stupid. And I find it amazing when people in the airsoft world, that often have no connection to the real world military, claim replicating someone in the military is stupid. I had a Former Marine personally give me his MARPAT boonie off because he thought it was idiotic that my local vendors refuse to sell MARPAT hats with the EGA. I'm also a WWII reenactor. I've personally had German veterans tell me that me replicating their uniform is a great honor to them for most people refuse to honor them any other way. How ever this is neither the time nor the place to be discussing this sort of thing now is it?

As far as I know, Flecktarn sell both woodland and desert MARPAT, but made by Bulle- Which IMHO, is a better quality BDU than Tru-spec; I haven't compared the pattern of my real-deal stuff to a friend's from the above, but I'd give them a good look.

My gripe about sizing is the opposite- I'm 6' 1" and lanky with it; thus I need medium/long and almost everywhere here sells by chest and waist size, not length.

AS for the issue stuff- Like people have said, keep searching Ebay- Persistence pays off. As for suppliers not shipping outside the US- Got any mates/relatives there? Sweet-talk 'em into buying it, and then posting it over to you- It'll cost, but it would be worth it. Issue MARPAT is the best quality BDU I've come across. Even the knee and elbow pads work better than you'd think (When I dive for cover I tend to land on knobbly ground); my only complaint would be that they should have velcro'ed all the blouse pockets.

And for pity's sake don't wear black boots, or tuck your trousers in 'em ;) .

Just a heads up - I recently ordered some Marpat of USMCPRO and they are out of stock of the jackets, in medium at least, until mid-october. They have trousers though, those have been sent though, nd if you place your ord now they will automatically dispatch the Jacket when they come in.

Archived