Video editing software?

sp00n

Im going to attempt to video some of our skirmishes with my digital camcorder. Its got the old style tape still, but I can download the whole tape to my computer, heres where I have a need for video editing..

The way my setup works as of now, it downloads the whole 60 minute tape, so it plays as a 60 minute blank video with 5-10 minutes of stuff at the beginning then just an hour of blankness. I need an editor to crop the blankness off the end, do some basic scene editing (move scene a to the place of scene b, ect), prehaps add music? and maybe the ability to add some text to the beginning or something. Anyone have any advice?

Have you got Windows Movie Maker 1 or 2? 1 is... 1 isn't even a movie maker. It's like a cut/paste function with a GUI. You can make cool movies with WM2 :)

Yeah I had the 1st version, 2nd requires servicepack 2, and I refuse to install that buggy POS on my computer, so I guess Ill download the Adobe thing :)

premiere is pretty easy - nice and simple - but then it uses the basics of editing [to a degree] and is good for this kind of stuff.

if you want to do a bit more, premiere is probably a good place to start.

similarly people swear by the old media studio pro which is probably at the same level.

pinnacle do some pretty easy-going stuff - ive experienced their studio products and theyre good for n00bs ..

even that i-movie thing [if youre mac based] was nice and easy to use.

the only one that really bugged me was the one that came with windows :D

[edited for misread post ;) ]

premiere is pretty easy - nice and simple - but then it uses the basics of editing [to a degree] and is good for this kind of stuff.

if you want to do a bit more, premiere is probably a good place to start.

similarly people swear by the old media studio pro which is probably at the same level.

pinnacle do some pretty easy-going stuff - ive experienced their studio products and theyre good for n00bs ..

even that i-movie thing [if youre mac based] was nice and easy to use.

the only one that really bugged me was the one that came with windows :D

oi! piracy alert! get that comment off. premiere is marketed by Adobe. Its worth several hunderd quid!!

some of us have to earn our friggingly expensive [thousands of quid!] software the hard way  :angry:  :waggle:

He sent me a link to download Moviemaker 2 (the free bit of software included with servicepack2 for windows XP)

Ulead Media Studio Pro version 7. That's the package to go for. I started with Premiere, experienced the multitude of bugs and shortfalls, not forgetting the horrible interface and ditched it fairly quickly. I know of others who have done the same after Premiere caused them nothing but grief.

I then got a free copy of Ulead's Media Studio with a graphics card I bought, and was thoroughly impressed. It is now up to version 7, and produces some amazing results. The SledgeHammer movies, the Arnie-Geddon downloadable movies and the ArnieGeddon 2004 DVD have ALL been done on Ulead Media Studio Pro version 7.

It's easy to use, powerful, has excellent real-time processing functions, support for DV and any other codec on your system, does special effects, has a nifty production library feature, and basically lets me do EXACTLY what I want, VERY quickly.

If only it didn't have such a hefty pricetag. :(

http://www.ulead.com

Archived