CYMA CM031 Pictures

To all those wondering how to get it in the UK, this is now in action hobby and airshooter. Just search these shops and you'll find what your looking for.

BTW, I think a good test to the perceived quality of cyma guns will be to see when the big airsoft shops (i.e. wolf armouries) start stocking them. I believe it may be a few more guns time (perhaps when their thompson arrives) before these shops trust them but it has got to happen sometime.

I tend to prefer the 028s based on balance and appearance--but I like 'woody' AK's better, so thats strictly a matter of opinion.

The barrel in the 031, albeit it brass, didn't seem to be a huge improvement over the aluminum barrel in the 028. 028's are much more available at the moment, so if you are looking to get something soon, you'll save yourself some cash going with the 028. Some of the build quality does seem to be a step up in the 031 though, and I do like the matte-black finish of the entire rifle. If I was to get one, a wood kit would be on the list of things to buy, but thats just because I prefer AK74's to SLR's.

Steve

Thx for the review, i have ordered one but uppgraded with:

Element Tappetplate, Springuide, gears and spring TM motor and a CA barrel 6.04mm, metalreciver and its still cheaper than a CA !!!

My question is:

Is it tight to fit the battery into the stock and if, is it possible u think to mod it to get a larger battery in it ?

battery.gif

This is a configuration I designed to be built with A cells. We used an American company that is popular around here, www.cheapbatterypacks.com to make the pack. Using 2500mah nimH A-cells, we were able to create a 9.6v battery with decent capacity that fits more then well into the stock. In fact, it would probably be possible to make a 10.8v pack (if you were so inclined) using A-cells... they are a very easy to manage size.

Please let me know what you think of your gun with the Marui motor--I have suggested that to the owner of this gun as a future upgrade, just to push along the sluggish semi auto. In full auto with the 9.6v battery, this thing rips.

I'll see about uploading a few more pictures and possibly a small video of it firing this weekend for you guys.

Although, it won't be a perfect representation of what you can do with the CYMA, since the gun now has a Tokyo Marui gearbox and gears in it, but with the Cyma motor and such, it should still be a good approximation of what the gun should sound/shoot like with a 9.6v battery on the CYMA motor with an SP100 (or equivalent) spring.

Steve

how does the hi-cap feed?

Not unlike the CM028's, that is to say--marginally. So far, its been fine, and if something goes wrong with it, its generally something that can be fixed on the spot with disassembly. Still, a decent mag would be recommended.

Steve

The wiring is ######, that is true.  I wonder how much of a gain can be had by changing it though... sometimes none is shown with such a modification.

Steve

maybe imperceptible to some though i noticed a slight improvement when i changed the stock wiring on my 028S to PC wiring (16 gauge would not fit -- had to dremel a channel on the internal left side to make the PC wiring fit). will do the same to my 031 as part of the custom mod i'm doing right now.

personally, i like the overall finish of the 028 though the improved quality of cyma's build is evident in the 031. a minor quibble is the painting on the metal receiver cover. could have matched that of the handguard and the barrel and gas block a little better.

pointability and overall balance, IMHO, will definitely improve if you take out the weight in the upper handguard. but you may have to do something else to provide the strong trunnion to gas block interface given by the weight.

good review :D

zT

pointability and overall balance, IMHO, will definitely improve if you take out the weight in the upper handguard. but you may have to do something else to provide the strong trunnion to gas block interface given by the weight.

good review :D

zT

Agreed... the large steel hex rod that fills in the trunion adds a considerable amount of weight to the front of the rifle. Oddly enough, my 028 doesn't feel nearly as front heavy as the 031, even though the build composition throughout looks to be the same *and* I don't have a full stock on it! You would expect the balance to be even farther shifted forward, but that is not the case. I wonder how much the large muzzle brake impacts the weight distribution on the 31...

Steve

Yes the gun does take standard TM AK Mags.

The muzzle brake on the 31 weights a TON, it's easy to take on and off, give it a go. When it is off the gun starts to feel a little tail heavy.

Right now the flash hider is being used to cover up an M16-length inner barrel.

• 5 weeks later...
@ happy al:

Ive been reading about changing the wiring on these guns, and even TM guns, and apparently, when using hi-qual 14 ga. wire, (i think 14 is the biggest you can use, it might be 16, I cant for the life of me remember on this particular one) I believe a combination of the new wiring and Deans connectors make the system hugely more efficient

14 gage will not fit in side, you will be lucky to get 16 gage, more then likly have to use 18/20 gage

CYMA CM-031 (AK74)

This is a very nice piece of kit, maybe a little light weight and a little front heavy, but still nice.

This is a replica of an AK74 (even though it fits AK47 mags). The AK105 that is says it’s a replica of has a side folding stock and looks quite different. The closest model I’ve seen is the AK74 just after they brought the plastic kits out, and just before the folding stocks.

The gun itself is made of metal and plastic, with quite a high metal content. The only plastic being the furniture (fore-grip, stock, pistol-grip) and the lower receiver. The finish on the metalwork is quite nice although the matt paint is a little too matt (I re-sprayed the receiver top with Halfords Black Satin finish, which I think looks a hell of a lot better). In fact everything on the outside is what I would expect of a Marui grade gun, the sights work nicely, the flash-hider is kept from spinning by a spring-loaded pin etc.

The Mag it comes with is a plastic hi-cap which I haven’t had any feed problems with, but I have yet to skirmish with it, so there’s still time. The mag is fine for a plastic mag and feels sturdy enough. However the gun is also compatible with Marui mags (and my Star Auto-winding Drum mag that look EVIL one there ).

Internally things are again a little lacking compared to a Marui, but I don’t see why this shouldn’t work for almost as long as a Marui. Things just look a little less finished, and a bit rougher around the edges.

One nice thing is that you have the space for an AK battery in top of the receiver like the AK47S, and it’s obvious that with only a small about of rewiring you could turn it into one. (need a new receiver too or a fair amount of modding on the receiver).

The gun has some thin wiring that you may want to change, but it does have a fuse so I’m not too worried. The wiring is fitted with a “Small” rather than “Large” battery connector. However there is one oddity and that is that the polarity of the wiring is inverse. Which is fine for the battery that comes with the gun, but you’ll have to rewire it to work with standard UK batteries. Mind you most people will anyway to use a Large battery instead of small.

On that note I should say that I cannot fit my 3300 or 3000 in the stock, but my 2200 mah large battery fits nice and snug.

Initial performance tests seem too be pretty good, but I’ll have to have a good skirmish for the full lowdown. One thing that I did find funny was after every shot there was a “Oioiong” noise from the gearbox, like the spring is vibrating which is a little odd… But not too bad or too lowed to make a real difference.

Conclusion

Again, for the price I am stunned by this beauty. It’s a great gun to look at, hold and use. I’ve very happy with this. There are a few things that I will change (batter plug, polarity) but this should only be a 5 min job, then I’ll have a gun that looks and feels like the CA or ICS.

Note: I did also order the metal body but Gunner seems to have forgotten to pack it with the kit :(

CYMA CM-031 (AK74)

The gun has some thin wiring that you may want to change, but it does have a fuse so I’m not too worried. The wiring is fitted with a “Small” rather than “Large” battery connector. However there is one oddity and that is that the polarity of the wiring is inverse. Which is fine for the battery that comes with the gun, but you’ll have to rewire it to work with standard UK batteries. Mind you most people will anyway to use a Large battery instead of small.

if you lokk here and scroll down you will find some 15amp wire that should be good enuff to rewire the aeg with.

if you have them room ( which i doubt you will have ) then the 23amp stuff can be used.

hth

Drew