Nice pics of a sad WA...

HeavensSniper

I've also had problems fitting OE outer barrells onto Guarder chambers. Problems occured with SCW SV's and SCW experts, all 5" version.

Personally I prefered Shooters Design Chambers - they worked very well, with no compatbility issues. Price was the same, give or take a few $. Probably worth getting the SD chamber at the same time... Uncompany have a pretty good selection of pistol bits, so you may as pick up some more pimp bits when you're their.... :D

edit: I've found that an pre-scw infinity barrel will fit on the SCW guarder chamber! :o

I recently fitted a Guarder steel chamber with my 6" hybrid, The thread doesn't fit so I have to shorten the thread and re-thread the barrel.

But right now... the chamber is scratching inside of the top slide so it's not returning the normal position sometimes. Need to file some more stuff inside.

I recently fitted a Guarder steel chamber with my 6" hybrid, The thread doesn't fit so I have to shorten the thread and re-thread the barrel.

But right now... the chamber is scratching inside of the top slide so it's not returning the normal position sometimes. Need to file some more stuff inside.

Yeah, it can wait - They CAN break (The thread snaps off in the barrel - Usually through over tightening the outer barrel, though), but usually they just get scratched up by the metal slide.

There are cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for...

Cheers.

Yeah, it can wait - They CAN break (The thread snaps off in the barrel - Usually through over tightening the outer barrel, though), but usually they just get scratched up by the metal slide.

There are cheaper ones, but you get what you pay for...

Cheers.

So to prevent it, I just keep the barrel slightly loose? Is their anything else I can do?

I think you can use loctite to stop the outer barrel unscrewing from the chamber - Matt Dean did some SV maintaince articles for this very site. Its under projects, call "SV healthcare".

Aye, I did, it's crying out for an update though :)

Even though the WA OE chamber are normally flash plated, Loctite (glue in this case) held on very well, PTFE is much less invasive and repeatable, but my current favourite is a suitably sized O ring. The size I use is 8.1 x 11.3mm.

So my question is, is having the power from Propane worth a broken slide and having to shell out $120+ for another Metal slide?

Of course.

Is this the reason people regard WA pistols so highly?

Top tip: Get yourself a KSC G17. They shoot just fine on green gas for years with no problems. ;)

Hooha mate! Or a metal slide G18c....

Cheers,

Daniel

I think you can use loctite to stop the outer barrel unscrewing from the chamber - Matt Dean did some SV maintaince articles for this very site. Its under projects, call "SV healthcare".

Please don't use loctite or any solution to secure the outer barrel. When the thread snap from the chamber you are going to have a hell of a time to remove the broken thread form the barrel. It happened to one of my WA.

Please don't use loctite or any solution to secure the outer barrel.   When the thread snap from the chamber you are going to have a hell of a time to remove the broken thread form the barrel.  It happened to one of my WA.

If one was to actually read the article and look at the pictures one will see that it is not applied to the thread itself merely the lip of the very end of the outer barrel. I certainly do not recommend putting Loctite of any sort on the thread :)

To save any confusion here is what I actually wrote many years ago, bearing in mind my post above recommending an O ring ;)

Barrel comes loose

Very common this one, I have had this myself on almost every one of the SV pistols I have had, and I have seen enough sheared barrel hoods to know that over-tightening is not a wise move. It is possible to buy the Guarder or Sheriff "breech cover" aka barrel hood, which is metal, and then a tiny drop of Loctite 222/243 could be used as it is metal to metal, (222/243 cannot be used on plastic), but if you are sticking (no pun intended) with the standard parts then Cyanoacrylate adhesive (superglue) is one of the ways to go. It should be applied sparingly to the very end of the barrel 'tube' with the threaded end, around its lip. then quickly screw onto the Barrel hood/breech # 5 and you have a solid unit that can still be taken apart due to the fact that the standard WA barrel hood is plated with a very high sheen and therefore the glue also acts like a gap fill and makes everything nice and solid whilst being able to be separate the two parts.

d-barrelglue.jpg

The second, and easier/safer method, especially for those who do not wish to dabble with superglues on their pride and joy, is to use PTFE tape.

f-ptfe_bbl.jpg

This wrapped a few times around the exposed thread on the plastic chamber cover with provide enough grip so that when the outer barrel is screwed into place, it will stay put. I currently tend to use this method myself these days.

It is interesting to note that the most recent part # 5's (Barrel hood) that I have seen, have been a lot tighter than previous examples when screwing into the barrel body, so maybe WA have decreased tolerances here to stop any problems, however still examples come through that are in need of attention.

Archived