TOP M60 advice

Handsome Pete

Ive done a search and found loads of info and come up with this. The Top M60 is fine upto 150K rnds if u leave it stock.

With that in mind, if i were to order a new top m60 with an 8.4v battery, would i recieve a reliable gun that wont die on me after the first 4 games?

Please dont post 'for that money you could get a CA minimie' becos thats not what i want to know. Im just looking for those with experiences to give me an answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance to any helpful replies. :)

cheers.

Honestly, I just wouldn't buy a TOP M60.

The plastic is VERY poor quality and the bolt-on bits (sights, particularly) are made of incredibly soft monkey metal.

I really can't stress this enough. I'm sure you'll get TOP fanboys try to tell you how great theirs is but, ummm, it's not.

This isn't sour grapes either.

My M60 works pretty well. It's broken the odd bellows but it's always been okay-ish. It's just made from AWFULLY poor quality material and badly made components. The only good bit is the steel receiver and that's just a lump of U-shaped channel.

It shoots okay but it's not that powerful or accurate. My P90 can outshoot it any day of the week.

I'd give the gun about 7/10 for looks, 4/10 for quality and 6/10 for function.

I know the Inokatsu and VFC guns are double the price of the TOP M60 but they are by far your best option for a Pig. If you absolutely MUST have a cheap SAW right now then get the Star M249, save for an expensive M60 and then sell the M249 when you're nearly there.

The TOP M60 has been left wayyy behind by other guns on the market. The only reason it sold was cos it was the only game in town. Now there are alternatives it really deserves to die quietly.

Unless you can get a REALLY good deal on a used and upgraded TOP M60 I'd leave well alone if I was you.

I own a TOP M60DX btw.

I would agree,

Though i dont own a M60, I have seen and used top, CA, and Star machine guns(m249 included) and i would say the TOP is the biggest pain in the world.

I have used 1 TOP M60 Seals that was a beast and never gave me problems, though that would be the the exception to the rule as the owner was overly meticulous with its maitenance, but i spose u have to be

Honestly the reason TOP goes with bellows instead of the traditional gearbox is because they are Japan based and Marui has patents on the gearbox.

The star is good but i would worry about any real upgrading because of the plastic gearbox, and i doubt its body can take any serious damage. Though some are comfortable with that normal fps on it.

The best option is the CA m249 in my option, though law of probability says that for x number of rounds shot, y wear is incurred. So when you get a high volume airsoft rifle, you are more likely to experience problems than a regular gun. Machine Gun=wallet vaccum

Bellows sound way better than a piston too :P

My M60 DX was great but I have to say that if you want something to seriously suppress the enemy then nothing beats the CA M249.

Better range,accuracy,ROF,reliability,feel.

The only thing it loses out on is noise.

If you do want a Top M60 buy the DX as it is worth it for the extra metal bit etc

Remember the M60 cannot fire down hill !

The best advice with TOP M60 is to stay away from them. Quality wise, they're simply out of date. Poor plastic, weak internals. TOP M60 used to be better than nothing, but that was before Inokatsu and VFC released their models. TOP models might look nice in the pictures, and the price tag is not that high, but unfortunately those pictures don't tell the whole truth. Few more hundreds and you'll get a VFC. If you compare Inokatsu and TOP M60, the difference is something like between Guarder steel AK kits and Cyma AK's. And still Cyma is actually better than TOP M60.

tralllalla im loveing the way most people havet got m60s who reply. bar stealth who i know has one. and also i lover the way they blatantly ignore the ops request to not say get X X X

call me a fan boy if you must.

1stly the top m60 wont run well on 8.4v with the bellows unit (i tried and it missfed all the time) and conversly with the gear upgrade it needs 8.4 (Odd i know)

2ndly the bellows unit requires TLC more so than a gear unit. but they work well. its deigned to put more bbs out in a short space of time than a gear unit which is one of the reasons they apear to fail so quickly when infact they are putting more ammo down.

a few more points abpout them

some of the standard modles have realy ###### external finishes as SB has said. i have a E3 version which was limited edition and the finish on that is ok. not 100% perfect for the trades fan boys but it looks like an m60.

some of the external parts could be more robust but a little care when using does reduce this bad point

the bb feed unit is prone to rust and this makes it jamm. simpkly removing and cleaning with pipo cleaners and silicone spray fixes this but its a sod to do ingame

all the metal parts rust like buggery. again tlc takes care of it. silicone and a rag makes good.

the m60 CAN fire doesn hills, it just doest like it when the hopper is nearly emprty. in this case all you do is shake it up a bit and your fine (when nealry empty the bbs roll to the fron and dont go into the mech)

range when stock is acceptable. but it dfoesnt like having an overwound hop.

up[grading the spirnmg reduces the lifr of the unit CONSIDERABLY so its best not to.

in my opinion its best to ether mod an mk mech box or get the Gear set and piston upgrade for them but these also have issues.

1) as said cant b run on 9.6 or 7.2s (7.2 fails to feed and 9.6 kills piston heads and pistons)

2) expesnive mine was 250 by a retailer inc fitting *ok as i hada warrenty )

3) LOUD AS HELL you know when a 60 is firing which is kinda cool

4) a pain to do yourself like any serious m60 maintance.

5) places the cneter of balance back a little in the gun making it stock heavy

all inm all as an m60 user i can sumise

1) they are extremly tempremental and need alot of care and skill to keep running well

2) the bellows unit is ok for a while (mine lased over 160k rounds and is still ok i just elected for the upgrade) but is the week point in the systrem

3) the DX versions are stronger and slightly better made

4) not for newbies at all they take to much care and knolage they do not possess

5) they are designed for putting down long bursts of inaccurate fire. not expect a sniper rifle they aint one.

hhhhmm ok thanks for all those with useful comments and especially to those who read my post. Looks pretty negative. :(

I do know that the minimies by CA and to a lesser extent star are good but i already knew that hence my post. :rolleyes:

I was looking for a Vietnam era support weapon which wouldnt cost $2000. Looks like i will have to either scrap the idea or save up for eternity.

cheers. :)

My top m60 was so much fun, while it lasted. The bellows popped pretty quick, and then when i replaced it, the gears lost teeth and killed itself.

I sold it pretty quick, and was sad to see it go. but I wasnt having that happen to me every time I took it out! I never actually got to skirmish with it.

I got a couple new guns, then decided to take the plunge... sold everything for a vfc mk43, and its now more than 30k rounds through and hasnt flinched.

so thats 4 top m60 owners saying "leave well alone" and 1 owner saying "its mint".

4 to 1, i know where my money would be going................

STAR are making an M60, though im not sure it was the 'Nam one. and it is metal, so it wont be STAR m249 price i doubt. :(

thats fair enough, but so far my ca249 hasnt had any flaws to admit to ;)

but thats off topic.

still, its common sense not to plough 600 quid + into something 4 out of 5 consumers have said is, essentially, old, ######, poorly built, not overly effective, cheaply made and not much better than an MP5k with a mosmag.

Archived