Maruzen M1100 and 870 back in stock

Handsome Pete

This might be old news. But just browsing and notcied them to be instock again. Good news for anyone not willing to break the bank with the tanaka. Strange how it wasn't under the 'available again' list. I know that redwolf were sellin m1100 again so not biggie but the 870: :P

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...BV_cat_Shotguns

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...BS_cat_Shotguns

I still don't think the 870/1100 series is worth all the fuss

Tanaka have really cracked it, with a high quality metal body and individually gassed shells.. a perfect gun to have leading up to the VCRB since its far less likely to break like the 870 and 1100s do so often, it has no internal gas system so theres nothing to be put under much pressure except the shells themselves..

the m500s are also really reliable, and full metal to boot, they also have a much more meaty report than the 870, and they're more skirmishable for the lack of shells.

I still don't think the 870/1100 series is worth all the fuss

Tanaka have really cracked it, with a high quality metal body and individually gassed shells.. a perfect gun to have leading up to the VCRB since its far less likely to break like the 870 and 1100s do so often, it has no internal gas system so theres nothing to be put under much pressure except the shells themselves..

the m500s are also really reliable, and full metal to boot, they also have a much more meaty report than the 870, and they're more skirmishable for the lack of shells.

what does the vcrb have to do with this? even if you dont skirmish you will still be able to get parts for it, also it says on wgc that it shoots at 312fps - good enough for cqb which is what its designed for.

My M1100 Defender of 6 years broke the other month. I'd been running propane through it though - for quite a while.

This bolt design is a bit weak and the bolt "door" broke off from the rest of the bolt. I've been able to epoxy it back together though and reinforce it with a bit of aluminium. It's holding up to the pressures of propane - the big issue is that propane sends to bolt too far back causing stress on a rather weak joints made of ouf pot metal.

I'd love to get my hands on an M500 though but they've been out of production for ages now - did I hear that they're going to make them again?

what does the vcrb have to do with this? even if you dont skirmish you will still be able to get parts for it, also it says on wgc that it shoots at 312fps - good enough for cqb which is what its designed for.

Well let me see.

1) There are literally NO replacement parts for the M1100 and M870, or at least the parts which regularly break or wear down such as the extractor, believe me, Tokyo-Model had my m1100 for months without being able to source any parts, even after contacting Maruzen themselves.

2) If all the pressure is on the shells and the shell breaks, then you can simply buy a new one and you don't have to worry about stripping down a gas shotgun (quite tricky, I know from experience with both the maruzen and marushin guns)

3) 312fps is the power with 1 bb, that equates to terrible fps with 3+ bb's. You forget that I am not stating a baseless opinion on the guns, I have owned an m870 and an m1100 so I do know what I'm talking about, they were the best at what they did, but now the tanaka is out, a direct comparison will show up the huge flaws which have always been there but have been looked over because they're so much fun to play with.

hbc.

I'd love to get my hands on an M500 though but they've been out of production for ages now - did I hear that they're going to make them again?

It looks as if there will be a rerelease, and I agree, they're alot of fun and powerful to boot, my main reason for getting one was that it was full metal and sounded amazing to cock and fire.. but now with the tanaka being full metal, and the gun actually having some good power with 6mm bb's, I think there might be a new champion of gas shotguns.

also, dropping the shells is a bit like dropping a pistol mag- not a good idea ANYWAY.

yes, they're weak, but you can't tell me you'd not be using a shell catcher with it?

Me, I'd buy an m870 for a prop, simply because the fun of ejecting and loading shells can't be beaten for the price, but if I was going for a skirmish shotgun, the m500 is probably the most "practical", especially with the new ones coming out apparently able to take green, and the Tanaka being a good balance between "fun" and "skirmishable"

IF you have $400+ to spend on a shotgun, that is.

Saying that, if one of these was capable of performing well in woodland, with good range and all that, I'd be almost tempted to get one as a primary...at least, during the summer months...

I owned and loved my trench gun. The shells were fragile but the fix was easy to do if you didn't mind losing the ability to ever replace the o-ring in front. Most people wouldn't mind that, but coming from the classic end; where o-rings are the only thing you need to replace, I was hesitant to do it. I used a shell catcher, even though it wasn't desogned for the 1897. The 870 will work much better with it. I only sold it due to funds I needed to get a rare piece.

For the money, the Tanaka shotguns are the best off-the-shelf available today. If you can source one of the old Marushins or magazine fed Maruzens, those are great, but pretty hard to come by and still not very green friendly. You are getting what you pay for with both guns. The Tanaka isn't cheap, and the shells are about $10 each when you figure in shipping. If you like to have a ton of shells then you are looking at quite a bill. I found a total of 12 shells was enough to last a CQB round, with a backup pistol in case I ran out.

I will buy this one and compare it to the 1897. I expect that real steel accessories will fit with little/no modification.

For fun: shells flying out of the side is great but I wouldn't want to take anything like that into a skirmish. I'm soooooo very tempted by the Tanaka though but I wouldn't take it for a skirmish even with a shell catcher.

I might just buy the Tanaka shells and make/rig up somekind of double barrelled shotty affair.

I'm in the process of modifying my M1100 Defender (which is the old non-shell version). Turning the unused magazine tube into an enlarged gas tank and hoping to rig up a large removable magazine system.

why not just get the TW/Huan san double barrelled shotgun?

not tanaka quality, certainly, but they seem to be getting pretty positive reviews, given their relative cheapness...

Me, I hope Tanaka take their m870 design and start making some decent cqb models out of it- folding stock, maybe extended mag tube or pistol grip pump...that'd be sweet :)

tanaka are surprisingly good when it comes to building there stuff near perfect compared to the RS- you never know, it *might* be that, without the gas chamber in the stock, RS stocks and RS frontends can be fitted with ease.

now THAT would be a serious selling point- not that you can't do this with the m500s (stocks at least)- but having a shell-using shotgun you could chop and change with folding stocks and all that good stuff would be pretty spiffy.

Archived