PTS UBR for a GBBR

fiddlesticks4220

Well, it appears they make these for GBBR's now. I am pretty sure this is news. My question is, will this work for a real AR? If it did, would magpul not be PO'd.

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=28065

Magpul PTS UBR Stock for GBB (Black)

The Magpul PTS UBR (Utility / Battle Rifle), U.S. Patent 6651371, is a fully-featured, adjustable butt stock for AEG M4 / M16. Unlike typical collapsing stocks, this modular design offers the stability of a fixed stock with consistent cheek weld in any position. Seven-position length-of-pull (LOP) adjustment is quickly executed with gross motor movement while the integral preset system allows direct access to a preferred position. The UBR also provides extra counterbalance weight to improve handling on full-length rifles and weapons with muzzle-heavy accessories or grenade launchers. Optional components such as dual-side sling mounts and metal strike plate allow the UBR to adapt to the mission at hand.

Features:

# New design Receiver Extension tube which fits Lipo Battery.

# It fit short type AEG receiver only.

# 7-Position LOP adjustability with customizable preset system for fast access to preferred length.

# Made by DuPont Polymer with Reinforced Stock Body (Steel plate).

# Solid 'fixed stock' lockup in all positions.

# Repositionable cheek piece accommodates users requiring extra eye-relief.

# Stout construction provides counterbalance weight for improved weapon balance and handling.

# Sling Mounts.

# Front / Rear - push-button QD sling mounts.

# Bottom - 1.25 inch Sling loop.

Included Accessories:

# Storage Module (Left-Right Reversible / Removable).

# Rubber Butt-Pad, 0.30 inch (Removable).

# Front / Rear - dual side push-button QD sling mounts.

Length (Retracted): 250mm

Length (Full Extension): 290mm

Product Code MPTS034GBBBK

Price (USD) $150.00

Because Redwolf have a licence to deal MAGPUL stuff, you will find that this is actually a real stock from a real AR.

The price is pretty indicative of this, and REDWOLF have done it before with the MAGPUL Precision Rifle Stock (Magpul PRS (Original)), retailing for $368 USD and was modified to fit AEG's, which i have noticed they have now re-listed for $138 USD instead

Features:

# New design Receiver Extension tube which fits Lipo Battery.

# It fit short type AEG receiver only.

Umm... My GBB doesn't take LiPo batteries and it doesn't have a short type AEG receiver.

I know they probably just copy-pasted the PTS AEG UBR, but it makes me wonder.

The PTS UBR is much cheaper than RS, but the same cannot be said for MOE or CTR or even ACS. For me in most cases(in US) using the RS stuff makes more sense....when you can get it...

As far as using it on real AR, while it may work, if it wasn't really tested to handle recoil I'd be wary of using it anyway, and RS shooter should have the same concern...

The PTS UBR is much cheaper than RS, but the same cannot be said for MOE or CTR or even ACS. For me in most cases(in US) using the RS stuff makes more sense....when you can get it...

As far as using it on real AR, while it may work, if it wasn't really tested to handle recoil I'd be wary of using it anyway, and RS shooter should have the same concern...

Recoil? On what? an AR?

Sorry but that just made me laugh.

If it was a .308/7.62, or even a .338 i'd worry. But for a real AR? Dont be laughable.

The original M16 stocks were made of just ordinary plastic of the 60's that ended up shattering from being knocked around let alone fired. The recoil behind a real AR is negligible at best.

PTS CTR's and MOE's would be fine under recoil

But i wouldnt use a pts UBR ....yes a .308 recoils much more but a 223 does still recoil and well RS products are made to be used Over and Over with repeated pressure. Remember even light hits over a period of time will eventually break something.

In short if its a real gun just buy real parts, dont be like bushmaster and get just good enough. Get what will last and keep your rifle running optimally.

Remember even light hits over a period of time will eventually break something.

QFT

Determining whether a stock could "handle" the recoil of an AR wouldn't consist of merely firing the weapon a couple times and being satisfied if nothing shattered into pieces. The issue is stress under repeated use, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would put a stock designed for a toy/replica on a real firearm, regardless of its caliber.

mm perhaps people should be a little more open minded as to whats available nowdays.

Firstly, you go and buy a synthetic stocked rifle off the shelf, anywhere. That synthetic stock? Yeah, thats just polymer. Nothing fancy. And in some cases, it aint even all that thick. Oh sure, there's fibre-filled this and that and carbonfibre reinforced suchlike.

However the key points i spotted (which others ignored) was #1, the quoting of the patent number (Odd eh?) and the fact that the polymer is DuPont.

DuPont dont like their name flashed around randomly, almost as bad as H&K, so if that rifle stock really is made of DuPont polymer, i would happily stick it on nearly any rifle you care to name.

Remember people, Magpul make stuff for real rifles, and while its fully plausible to think that for the "Airsoft goons" they will simply inject the same moulds with a "Cheaper" material and flog them off.

On the same token though, this would mean two production runs, with cleaning time for the moulds inbetween, two different batches of plastic.. two seperate machine runs, two seperate machine setups..

and considering that Airsoft isnt quite as large a market as the real steel rifle side of things.. i'm pretty sure that, since we're all pretty positive its made and released BY magpul, it would be a safe bet to assume that that stock is the same as what you'd buy over the counter in the US.

If someone could 100% prove me wrong, then go ahead.

I however have a AR-15 that could do with a nice stock on it so i'm just going to go ahead and fit one and give it a good go. Whats the worst that could happen eh ;)

I asked Magpul PTS about this during my interview with them. The polymer used in the Magpul PTS products is not identical to the polymer used in the Magpul Industries products. The polymer used in the Magpul I. products is a special proprietary formula. The polymer used in the Magpul PTS products is a special proprietary formula developed for them by Dupont and is one of the highest graded commercially available polymers.

Thanks for the info corps, Even though it is not the special magpul US polymer, I am still reasonably sure it can stand up. I mean, compare it to some of the stuff floating around on the RS market right now, The PTS stuff is loads better and nearly identical to what Magpul I. is using.

The term polymer gets thrown around a lot, but there are so many grade of polymer(read, plastic) available that if all are the same then it loses the whole point of it being a engineering material. I would not be surprised at all if the polymer itself used on genuine Magpul product is ITAR such that it becomes export restricted. Saying both are made of "polymer" and should be as strong is like saying cast aluminum is as good as billet aluminum parts because both are "aluminum".......

The part I'd be worried about is the stock tube. The aluminum tube has threads to attach to the receiver and in the back for batteries. I'd just be worried about a buffer blasting through those threads.

The plastic is the least of the worries, original plastic sliding stocks were not made of even low grade polymers (by today's standards) and held up fine. That's because those parts weren't taking the force of the gun, the stock tube takes the punishment.

The term polymer gets thrown around a lot, but there are so many grade of polymer(read, plastic) available that if all are the same then it loses the whole point of it being a engineering material. I would not be surprised at all if the polymer itself used on genuine Magpul product is ITAR such that it becomes export restricted. Saying both are made of "polymer" and should be as strong is like saying cast aluminum is as good as billet aluminum parts because both are "aluminum".......

To put it in perspective, if the Magpul I. plastic is the highest grade of plastic used in the firearms industry, Magpul PTS' plastic is considered one grade below that ... but a grade ABOVE the plastic used in VLTOR's real steel plastic products. And when I say "grading" I mean engineering-wise and as the grading used in the plastics industry. That said, the Magpul I. plastic was formulated to fulfill a very specific range of requirements, whereas the Magpul PTS plastic wasn't designed to work with the same demands. And the Magpul I. plastic is definitely ITAR which was why Magpul PTS sought out Dupont to formulate their own plastic.

But as TheFlash points out I'm less concerned about plastics, as I am about the metal hardware (speaking from the standpoint of if it were to be used for RS applications).

Metal seems fine to me, Considering I have RS and PTS magpul stuff, holding it in front of me, I'm not 100 percent sure the magpul I. stuff is better. As far as metal does, I guess you could try an nit pick at that, but seems like great metal on the other PTS UBRs.

But I guess only time will tell ( an Not little internet fanobys;) )

I'm not saying the PTS stuff is cheap monkey metal as my PTS products are hands down some of the best in the airsoft market. I'm simply saying that the product wasn't designed to work with RS products. Can it work with RS products? Perhaps. Should you use it for RS products? No. Anything I use on my real ARs are (hopefully) designed and tested by the manufacturer to ensure they won't kill me due to a part failure. The PTS products aren't tested to ensure that. They're tested to make sure they'll work with airsoft products. That's why I would never even suggest to someone with a real gun to use a PTS component. That would be inexcusable on my part. Will it work? Yeah, maybe ... but do you want to bet your life on it? Probably not a good idea.

I would be very surprised if the parts for Magpul I's RS product line is not tested in some form for the firearm application. US being such a sue-happy country, liability suit for defective product based injury for an actual firearm parts will kill a company easily....The fact that they bothered to make PTS part a seperate line with almost differen entity and such avoids the problem of someone using a PTS part on their real gun, somehow breaks it and hurt themselves, but Magpul or even Magpul PTS can't be help responsible since its a misuse of the product.

How do you think magpul tests a product? They dont know if it will work or not, [...]

Personally... I think they use a combination of prior lab testing and computer run physics tests to determine if something like a buffer tube will work. Then some prototype testing before human testing, etc...

I don't claim to know what they know, but I would hope they have done testing and know whether a product will work before they sell a firearm part that is supposed to take the shock of a reciprocating bolt.

And call me crazy, but I think there are certain testing standards in the firearm industry when it comes to parts which can come under that much force.

How do you think magpul tests a product? They dont know if it will work or not, but it may work(Prolly will), or may not. I see your point, but their are worse metal products, (DPMS buffer Tubes<G&P Buffer.)

Time will tell, not air-soft fan boys.

Of course Magpul Industries know their products will work. They test and retest multiple times during the design and production process. Magpul Industries doesn't just come up with a design and send it out to market without testing extensively first to see if the product will easily fail and if it does fail will it produce a catastrophic failure resulting in injury or a fatality. Many people who use the real steel products depend their lives on these products. And while Magpul PTS produces some of the best airsoft products in the industry and their products are arguably better than many RS manufacturers ... they also understand that their products are designed to be used in airsoft applications and therefore test and retest to ensure the product will work for it's intended airsoft purpose. It's also why they brand their products with the PTS logo : because they want to do everything in their power to ensure that their products are not mistaken for RS Magpul Industries products. Can the PTS products hold up to RS use? Probably. Are they rated and tested for that use? No. Now if you wish to use it for RS, that's up to you, but it would be reckless and legally foolish for someone to suggest to someone else to go ahead and use a product for a different purpose than what that product was designed for ... especially when it can result in injury or death. That's like suggesting to someone to use unrated eye protection for airsoft ... will it work? Maybe. Should you use it? Probably not.

And I'm not sure what the "airsoft fan boys" comment is all about. The above is pretty much common sense regardless of whether you're into airsoft or not.

Archived