Night Shifts

Eddie182

Well, here I am. It's officially silly o'clock, and not only am I still at work, but I've only just stopped. It's been mental all night, bloody pilots and there fasination with night flying.

What's worse is I saw something on t'internet the other day that said shift worker don't live as long as non-shifties. Well, bettween shift work, smoking and extreme alcohol comsuption I'm pretty much buggered.

Is there anyone else stuck working silly hours or is it just me? Had about 15 cups of coffee tonight and I'm still yawning all over the place, somethings got to be wrong there.

When I was NCOIC of the Fire Dispatch at Balad AB Iraq, I worked 8PM to 9AM, 5 days on, 1 day off. That was some nasty shift work. Now I'm back home and working 24hrs on, 24 hrs off with one shift off every two weeks. 1 on, 1 off is the best possible work schedule ever :)

Give it about 45 days. If you're not used to it by then, you might need to see the doc... It usually doesn't take any longer than that for your circadian rythims to sync up.

When I was NCOIC of the Fire Dispatch at Balad AB Iraq, I worked 8PM to 9AM, 5 days on, 1 day off. That was some nasty shift work. Now I'm back home and working 24hrs on, 24 hrs off with one shift off every two weeks. 1 on, 1 off is the best possible work schedule ever :)

Give it about 45 days. If you're not used to it by then, you might need to see the doc... It usually doesn't take any longer than that for your circadian rythims to sync up.

Therein lies the problem, getting used to it. Although I've always been a shifty for the past 8 years (apart from the odd blip of daisy work) we don't have a set shift pattern. For example, next week I'm on days again, then 2 weeks of nights, then 2 day shifts and 1 night shift. My body never really has chance to adjust to either.

TBH I'm looking forward to going to afghan for a rest.

Ugh, thats horrendous. You'd think those senior NCOs would be able to provide a bit of stability... At least you're not in a career field which has a life expectancy 12 years lower than the rest of the population. If I recall you're supply/logistics?

Ugh, thats horrendous. You'd think those senior NCOs would be able to provide a bit of stability... At least you're not in a career field which has a life expectancy 12 years lower than the rest of the population. If I recall you're supply/logistics?

Just the nature of the trade really. Yeah, Supply on 29 Sqn Typhoon OCU.

I was on rotations for the last 4-5 years with each week being a different shift. First week nights, then mids, mornings, and lastly overnights over a period of 5 weeks. I never knew when to sleep, eat or anything. It was majorly screwing not only with my head, but my body as well.

Recently I changed to an amazing schedule of 7 straight days on, then 7 straight days off. Only draw back is they are overnights. Which is actually fine with me as I enjoy being awake at night.

Been doing it for the last 2-3 months now and have seen an increase in energy, have felt heathier, and actually can have a life on my 7 days off! I basically take a vacation every other week...only working half the year.

i work in media, but more in the production side and i'm all over the bloody place.

had quite a few sessions of several days and nights in a row - with no sleep at all - to get jobs out the door.

no shifts. you stay on the job till its done. then you might sleep.

obviously doesnt seem to compare with the more 'important' jobs you chaps have, but doing these jobs, at all hours, does make you go a bit mental.

just done a job in 60 hrs straight that shouldve been done in 2 weeks or more usually 2 months.

I work 12 hour shifts, we have a couple of different rotas but 2 days, 2 nights, 4 days off is one of my preferred options.

Odd night shifts on their own are the worst, they play hovoc with your sleep pattern.

I read some research a couple of years ago that linked regular shift work to an increased risk of coronary artery disease.

Done a bit of trawling, can't find the original article but there's a bit of info here:

http://www.medic.usm.my/research_presentat...70220110739.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...6&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...3&dopt=Abstract

http://oem.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/63/6/378

http://www.occup-med.com/content/1/1/25

:devil:

There's no such thing as a 7th day in a warzone... even if you're a soldier "at home"

The week restarts without the "7th day"

-------

See, I've always made sure that I get a regular work pattern laid out for me, or I'll get whingey. Not being a super soldier, shift worker, coolie, hero, shaolin monk or a healthy person for that matter, I tend to pick my occupation "accordingly" I can't live without stability these days, or flexibility.

Just because I don't work 25 hours a day for 4 days in a row, doesn't mean I'll live longer than those who DO. I'm just not cut out for all that barmy donkey work.

My student days saw easy part time hours that were "really" part time. The year and half in retail meant I never done more than 5 days a week. Now I'm trying my luck at being a broker in precious metals, I'm getting "lego" hours at grabbing customers, training and what not.

Doesn't mean it's settled work though. Don't think I don't know how you feel Eddie...

I don't know which time zone the americans were in when they posted but I am on GMT like the server and I am just going to work.

0400hrs, it's not even morning yet.

I was "just" getting into my bed then. And here I am a mere 8 hours later and I'm up and at work in another 4 hours. Still last shift before the bank holiday, 4 whole days off, yay :D.

Archived