KSC USP .45: Green Gas? Upgrades? WHA?

mikochu

Hey folks,

I'm slowly getting back into airsoft after picking up my first real firearm, an Heckler & Koch USPf .45. .45 ACP ammo ain't cheap to shoot at paper targets, so I'm going the plastic bb route for in the backyard. I ordered a KSC USP .45 from Power Edge USA. It should arrive tomorrow. I have Top (green) gas handy, but no HFC134a gas. I've read reviews that it should only see HFC134a gas...is that true? Do I need to upgrade the internals to safely use green gas? If so, what do I have to upgrade? Any suggestions on brands? I'm also looking at buying a metal slide/barrel kit. I've been hearing Shooters Design for slide/barrel kits...but how about springs? valves? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could always get the KWA that has a metal slide.

On a side note, why not handload? .45ACP is much much much cheaper that way.

I've become too much of an HK snob to shoot reloads through my guns. lol ...maybe when I'm older, have a family, and my wife lets me convert the basement into the gun room.

On websites like Red Wolf, they say it can take HFC134a _and_ Top Gas. As for buying a KWA, I was going to, but I like having trademarks. I'm leaning towards on buying a KSC slide/barrel or opt for the SD... Or maybe I'll give it to my dad and buy the UNcompany metal slide version (non SD)...

Reloads are far better, if you do it right and develop the load correctly.

The SD slide will be far nicer than the KSC and as you have a real one you'll notice the difference more than most.

Heh, I just don't have time or space for the equipment. I also don't shoot enough to want to make reloads and I don't trust others' reloads. Sheesh! lol j/k

+1 on the SD slide...hrmmm Recoil springs?

If you get the SD slide, first fit it. Then, if the action seems a little sluggish, fit an aftermarket recoil spring. You'll also want to do this if when you point your barrel skywards, your slide moves backwards, and out of battery. This would be a liability for reliability as far as shooting when you want it to.

-Sh0ty

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. The package was supposed to go to my parents house 4 hours away (my permanent address). No one was home to sign for the package, so I was able to redirect the package to my office. Woohoo! I should get it tomorrow. But without any gas or bb's, the only thing I can do is pose in the mirror with it. lol j/k

Just received the package. I'm at work right now, but I was able to take a gander at it. My initial impressions... it's okay. It'll need work to look and feel more like the real steel. The slide felt sluggish even though it was plastic. Once I get some gas and BBs, I'll figure out what I want to do to it next... barrel/slide, recoil spring, etc...

I'll compare it to the real firearm when I get home...

Sluggish on a plastic slide? I think you may be expecting more than airsoft can deliver, but you can get the fastest slide with an aluminum slide and a heavy recoil spring. If the spring is heavy enough, then you may want red gas, for some extra speed on the way back. For an even faster cycle, you could use a longer spring that'll stop the slide early, but then you sacrifice a slide that locks back on empty, something that I suspect you'll want.

-Sh0ty

Archived