Taliban Gear, where to find?

GRIM!

Okay, I just HAVE to chime in on this. I am gonna throw some real world experience in here.

First off understand that the Taliban are very practical fighters. Someone mentioned the un-practicallity of a Taliban loadout. It is VERY practical, Afghani's are poor, but for them war is cheap. If a CIRAS worked for them, they would have made them out of goatskin. However in their mind, guerilla tactics has proven the most effective and that is why their loadout consists of layers, due to extremely varying tempatures of their land. Here is the loadout of the average taliban fighter (body) I have seen

Kurta: It is a long shirt that ends just above the knee. It is the equivalent of their "T-Shirt" it is light and comfortable, usually in white. You could find one online or on ebay for a pretty cheap price.

Dont wear a Thobe (aka Man Dress) Although some wear it, it is generally considered something that an older man would wear. In Iraq they are more popular (becuase they have more money in Iraq), but your average young Taliban fighter would perfer the shorter Kurta as it doestn drag, rip, snag or get dirty (they are like to keep their clothes clean)

They then wear two types of pants. Either the Baggy Salwar, or the tighter Churidar pants. I would go with a pair of Salwar's becuase they Churidar are really tight looking, and probably harder to run in.

Over your Kurta wear a Wool Vest. It doesnt need to be bought from some import store, you can go to a local vintage/garage sale and pick one up. We have seen all sorts of brands, lots of the European/American/Russian suit vests.

For headgear, buy a Turban. Not a shemagh, not pakol, buy a turban. Turbans are worn in the south, and Pakol hats are worn in the north. As one man mentioned Pakol Hats are worn by the Northern Alliance. Although this isnt always the case, it usually is; as the Northern Alliance...live in the North! These people have very few clothes, and the Pakol is the equivalent of a Beanie or Snow Hat.....its just not seen in the Arid regions where the Taliban play.

Grow a mustache, even if it is a little fluff-stache grow something! You are not regarded as a man if you dont have one. In their culture if you are not a man, you are not a fighter, and if you are not a fighter you are no one. Special Forces grow their beards for a reason, and any well seasoned military man knows that you need at least a mustache to get any respect in the Middle East.

Chest Rig was a Chicom, or some would carry an extra magazine in their suit vest inner pocket.

Last but not least were shoes. Most of them were handmade boots that are extremely comfortable, however alot of Taliban members had russian Jack boots. Apparently when they fought the russians they first thing they took were their boots. Here is a picture of some.

jack_boots.jpg

Anyway, thats all I got.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived