Unicorn ASK74U Review

is smaller than the ones used for rest of the parts not got grub screw here of correct size to confirm it yet but Id expect its an M2.5 or M3 (4 or 5mm long)

Thread doesnt look very clean though!

http://www.stagonset.co.uk/fasteners

has them in those sizes so Ive ordered up some of each M3 and M2.5 will let you know if either does the trick given condition of the thread

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a very good chance if you dont pay TNT will pursue it they've laid out the dough to HMRC if they let folks off they'd be bankrupt in no time There may well be a threshold below which they dont proceed cos its administratively too expensive to be worth their while but I wouldnt count on it.

I move house in 3 weeks hence the rush in the first place so i doubt they will find me :unsure: .It would have been nice to at least be notified that charges would follow.

In a question of who gets my cash,TNT who have already delivered my gun or Poocel Farce who going to deliver my Multicam i think Poocel Farce will get first bite at the financial Cherry.Hells fire i only payed £33.01 for my R85.

Edited by rolling-thunder

I wouldnt rely on not being found small debts like that can have bigger impacts on your credit rating than the amounts themselves. Best bet is to stall em till end of October then get in touch and tell them that with the house move you've only just received their redirected mail and that you'll sort out a payment in Novemeber.

by sounds of it you got stiffed for 35 quid of VAT n Duty on the parcel plus 14.65 handling fee (12.50 handling fee plus VAT) if the package itself cost you 175 including shipping thats about right (roughly 20 percent VAT n Duty)

If the parcel was 120 quid or so including shipping then I'd have expected a bit less (24 quid plus the fee taking you to 38.60 or sommit like that). Woth checking over the amounts of duty and VAT applied (duty is applied on value of the items within the parcel, whereas VAT is applied to the complete value of the parcel including shipping) at most the rate of duty should be 3.5 percent or so while vat is the usual 17.5. other thing to watch out for is that they havent treated a declared value in US dollars as being sterling.

for some reason total on mine was 26.55 for the unicorn on its own - they only hit me for 11.86 VAT and the 12.50+VAT clearance fee (no duty levied) though mine was the gun on its own. However as it looks like Ive been undercharged you couldnt use that as a precedent

RSOV had a habit of underdeclaring values if you picked up the Army SA80 from there (and customs assessor swallowed the value stated) then I can see how it would be cheaper. Downside on that was RSOV ended up with a bundle of folks getting issued customs declarations to confirm true value etc which led to those lucky folks having all sorts of delays while sorting it out.

I got a customs declaration for my R85 which took about 15 minutes to sort out via phone & email & i was ready this time.I got my Unicorn from Gunner with a total cost declaration request sent with my order.What riles is the fact they work it all out based on & including postage costs rather than just the costs of the goods.

I think i'd pretty much decided to delay TNT until after i'd settled into the new house.

I have to say that if i'm forced to choose the lesser of two evils i'd choose Poocel Farces method of mugging people for cash. :angry:

Edited by rolling-thunder
What riles is the fact they work it all out based on & including postage costs rather than just the costs of the goods.

aye but tis the way its done shipping is a service thus liable to VAT (which applies to goods and services) so VAT calculations will always include that :(

Duty is an import levy on goods (not services) which is why its only levied on the value of the items rather than items plus shipping. Worst one is when you import gear rather than stuff and find out that duty on clothing can be upto 12% rather than 2.5 to 3.5% ouch!

it makes a difference , the lacking teeth helps to push ,so if i put it on "safe " it will be stuck and then have to open the reciever...

all of them have been modded like that

without that mod the stop tooth on the cam on the left hand side of the gearbox will bottom out against the inside of the rear of the receiver just before the selector lever has reached semi

with the stop tooth cut it can travel far enough back to allow semi - it doesnt need the stop tooth to prevent you going above safe as the corresponding stop tooth on the selector lever on right hand side (and the block on the triangular trigger cam that locks trigger on semi) will stop the fireselect mechanism from going further anyway.

Guarder and (I think VFC andDboys) can use a gearbox with that tooth left on though so i suspect unicorn needs to modify the rear of their receiver slightly before next batch (either the rear trunnion or maybe even just the folding stock release cam)

Hey great review. but!!!!, Sorry if its been asked but my big question is out of this, the D-boys or Cyma which would you reccomend most OVERALL. thanks so much, I know I am a noob  :blink:

Dboys wins overall - aything that might be wrong with it will be restricted to internals and when you take prices of each into account it would be cheaper to gut the gearbox or replace the motor on the dboys (if you have to) than to buy and resolve the issues on the unicorn.

Cyma does sound like its got the drop as far as internals go but its a whole generation behind when it comes to externals versus the other two.

sorry to be such a *badgeress* how does the wiring go ? it keeps geting traped ?

up the back of the motor cage, along the side a little where left hand selector quadrant is, theres a section/notch at rear of the receiver it can sit in thats not got metal folded over it can come out thru then runs alogn top of the gearbox and then back down towards the magwell I'll post a photo or two for you in 20 mins or so

I received my Unicorn today. After about 40mins of following snorkelman's guide(If you can't fix it yourself, I no longer have faith in humanity), she's solid as a piece of iron. Also I have no complaints against the bolt. Sure it's a little wobbly but how many times will you actually jank i back and forth? As long as the upper receiver is down, it ain't going anywhere.

Tough I will have to get inside her and sort out the hop-up since the bullets swirl left and drop extremely fast after 10 meters(probably to big of a hop-up spacer). And sort out the mags as they aren't a stiff fit(my mags are modified for my late CYMA AK74)

What I've seen so far is very impressing; my best 275USD purchase yet :Zzz:

Edited by Cpt
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm actually very dissapointed of the gun, battery, and gunnerairsoft

i got my unicorn aks74u yesterday. I ordered my gun on September 8th. and it finally arrived October 17th. many things are crooked even though i try to reallign it and such. I've alligned it the best i can and it's still not so great.

The spring too the pretty bad bolt carrier wasn't included or got lost at customs.

my Firefox 9.6v stick battery is defective too.

I am very very very dissapointed by Gunnerairsoft. Defintely will never order from or never recommend gunnerairsoft again.

Edited by greatwatermelon

No technical issues with mine after having followed this topic for some corrections; mainly:

- bolt carrier replaced by a Guarder one

- hop-up bucking changed

- color of the handguards changed

- weathering done

here are some pics:

1001964ut8.jpg

1001963id2.jpg

Many thanks to you all for this very informative topic.