Magpul PTS MIAD Grip and CRT Stock Review

Magpul PTS MIAD Grip and CRT Stock Review

Now I would like to start off by apologising to the team at Magpul who kindly sent us these for review about 3 months back, due to the nature of the items I decided to go one step further and get one or two other things coated before doing the review as the items sent to us from Magpul were the Multicam coated versions of the two items and the look of the gun they were placed on looked slightly off balanced and didn’t do the parts justice. Also with the release of other Multicam parts I thought it would be better to hold back from publishing the review as I will now run a series of reviews on Hydrographic filmed parts.

So again, apologies to the Magpul team.

The Gear:

Now the PTS (Professional Training & Simulation) equipment can be purchased either individually or as a set, In this case we were sent the individual units. The boxes that they come in are extremely sleek and straight away you get that feel good factor. The other cool thing is that the material the box is made from is 100% recyclable and because of this they can take a little bit of a beating in transit.

p8132638mediumis3.jpg

The items themselves are packed away very nicely inside and are tough enough to take most of the punishment handed out by the roughest of delivery services, but if you are ordering from overseas most reputable companies will make sure your package is well wrapped.

The MIAD

For those of you who are not familiar with the MAGPUL MIAD Grip here is some information directly from the manufacturer:

p8132633mediumar1.jpg

The Magpul Mission Adaptable Grip(MIAD) is a drop in replacement for the pistol grip on the M16/M4/Ar15 series of rifles.

It features removable and replaceable front and rear panels for a custom fit over multiple hand sizes. Grip features improved ergonomics and positive rough texture on both sides and rear back straps and features a removable inner core that allows for storage (3 round plug included) Custom storage of batteries (waterproof) or bolt/firing pin is available with optional cores.

Basic Kit includes 3 size back straps (s,m,l), 2 front straps, 3 round core plug, installation hardware.

For more information on the MAGPUL MIAD go here.

Now the MIAD (Mission Adaptable) Grip isn’t actually what it says on the box, what with the airsoft weapon housing the motor in the M16/M4 variant pistol grip the Magpul MIAD grip is just a replica, molded from DuPont™ Glass fill Nylon to the shape of the ergonomic grip. Although you are unable to switch out parts of the grip and it is not 1:1 in size to the real version it represents and feels very comfortable in the hand.

gripmediumak9.jpg

The coating of the MIAD is excellent and although technically it would be pointless to coat a grip that will be covered by the operators hand it does add balance to the over all look of the gun.

p8132639mediumsv6.jpg

The heat plate at the base of the MIAD is very well designed and it shows that MAGPUL are dedicated to producing quality products not only for the real steel industry but also for the training and sports market.

p8132632mediumlt6.jpg

The heat plate is also made from DuPont™ Glass fill Nylon and is well vented to allow air to get to the motor. The fixing screws are 3mm Allen bolts that are made from high quality steel (No worries here regarding stripping the thread of these)

pa100222mediumsc4.jpg

Also rather than the bolts screwing directly in to weak plastic MAGPUL has used some inserts that are of a weaker material and can be removed and replaced.

pa100248mediumbs7.jpg

One of the things that MAGPUL overlooked is that there are no screws supplied to actually attach the MIAD to the lower half of the gear box. A product so well designed should come with some higher quality screws to fasten it securely to the gun. I did find however that the screws used for attaching drives to the chassis of your PC are perfect as they have a large diameter head that does not interfere with the motor while also spreading the stresses caused by use over a larger area.

screwsmbmm3.jpg

The motor adjustment plate is also an excellent feature, no longer do you need to worry about that annoying little metal plate that needs to be sandwiched between the motor and the adjustment screw, the Magpul version is built into the grip. Also gone is the small grub used to push the plate, the Magpul features a large grub that applies pressure to the whole base of the motor.

pa100214mediumyn6.jpg

pa100223mediumrw1.jpg

The ergonomics of the actual grip are fantastic and the beaver tail style back is very comfortable in the hand and allows the operator to hold the pistol grip a little higher, while also giving more support in the crook of the thumb.

pa110027mediumlv2.jpg

The notch for resting the trigger finger is a nice feature which also allows a little more resistance to the middle finger when the trigger finger is off the trigger and you are raising the gun to the ready position. All in all I found that the grip releases a lot of the stress on the wrist, perfect for players

pa110029mediumph7.jpg

CTR Stock

The CTR (Compact Type Restricted Stock) is a 1:1 copy of the MAGPUL CTR stock, although this is the commercial version. For those of you wanting some more information regarding the real steel version of this product here is some information directly from the manufacturer:

The CTR is designed to be a drop in replacement carbine stock body. Adjustable for length of pull. This stock features a unique locking mech that friction locks the stock to the buffer tube for zero movement.

Mounts on standard AR15 Commercial carbine tubes. Commercial CTR includes spacer butt-pad.

CTR Features:

• Friction locking system that eliminates all stock movement.

• Sloping cheek weld for improved user interface.

• Ambidextrous sling mounts for QD, 1.25" loops, and lanyard hole.

• Side mounting slots for cheek risers.

• Spacer butt-pad to allow for use with slanted-back commercial buffer tubes.

Specifications:

• Weight: .0785 pounds without rubber butt-pad or spacer butt-pad.

• Collapsed Length: 7.75" with included spacer butt-pad.

• Extended Length: 11.05" with spacer included butt-pad.

For more information on the MAGPUL CTR go here.

The stock is made from a high quality DuPont™ Glass fill Nylon and the weight and balance of the product is excellent. Having used a crane stock for so long now I was a little unsure how I would take to the CTR stock but to be honest the actual feel of the weapon is pretty much the same.

p8132620mediumaa9.jpg

The release mechanism is very smooth in operation and requires some pressure on the catch to release the stock, the fact that it is also tucked away inside the hollow of the stock prevents any knocks or bumps releasing the stock, which can be very annoying on standard positional stocks.

p8132614mediumvj2.jpg

The friction locking system is also a nice idea, this works as a secondary locking feature that places pressure on the actual buffer tube, eliminating any side to side, backwards and forwards movement that you tend to get with some stocks, especially ones that have been round the block a few times.

p8132617mediumfm9.jpg

When you push down on the release catch it also opens the friction lock enabling the operator to change the position of the stock to their needs. Once the stock is at the required length the friction lock is closed again.

p8132622mediumuh9.jpg

The Magpul CTR stock is compatible with all after market parts from the real steel CRT and you’ll be able to attach the cheek rest and rubber butt pads to it.

Players need to be aware that certain after market buffer tubes do not fit the Magpul CTR stock correctly and even with the friction lock closed will still wobble on the stock.

MagPul sell a buffer tube designed to fit Airsoft replicas and the CTR stock.

5positiontube1gy7.jpg

5positiontube2lv7.jpg

Field Testing

One of the first things you will notice when you hit the field is the “WOW!” factor, these parts turn heads, especially if you have managed to pick up some other parts for the weapon in Multicam.

The weapon that I mounted them on has had the CASV front rail coated by Lakota Industries in Multicam hydrographic film as well as some parts by Dynamic Tactical. (More to come on that later in the Multicam review series)

multicamm4casvmediumsl0.jpg

As a user of Multicam BDU’s the overall effect of the Magpul CTR and MIAD is excellent and really does help break up the outline of the weapon in the field.

p8132628mediumve7.jpg

pa110002mediumge3.jpg

Because this is a chemical processes applied to the product abuse in the field is going to take its toll on the coating of these products. After about 3 weeks of heavy skirmishing at the weekends I am already seeing chips and scratches in the finish. For me this isn’t a problem as I want the rifle to look used and worn down.

pa100213mediumtf9.jpg

Those of you wanting to wall mount the rifle after games might want to look into either putting a protective coating such as silicon or lacquer over the weapon before taking it out in to the field.

Conclusion.

I think if I had finalized the review when I originally intended I think the overall score would have been lower due to the fact that just the MIAD and CTR would have resulted in a very unbalanced look as well as being totally pointless due to the fact that the weapons outline would not have been broken up.

Now with the release and pending release of fore grips, tactical grips, magazines and other accessories you are now able to build a complete look rather than what would have ended up as a half finished project.

The quality and finish of the actual MIAD and CTR is excellent and is more than capable of dealing with the harsh realities that we throw at our replicas on the skirmish field. The coating is able to take some of this but be warned it’s not indestructible and will wear off.

Even if Multicam isn’t you thing the MIAD and the CTR is available in Black, Dark Earth and OD and I would seriously recommend these.

CTR Stock Score: 9/10.

It’s the real thing so how could it score anything less than 10/10? If I was scoring the product just on its own then that what it would have the product functions exactly how it was designed to and the features such as the friction lock are a very nice touch, but with the current lack of front ends in Multicam for M16 and M4 rifles I’m going to have to drop the score.

Also after long term use the overall effect of the Multicam is going to be lost.

Pro:

• Excellent design with many cool features.

• 1:1 copy of the real thing, basically it is the real thing!

• Comes in 3 other colours.

• Reasonably priced.

Con

• The Multicam finished version was released to early (No other parts available at release date, not good for a limited edition version)

• More expensive than standard versions.

• Finishing will wear off eventually.

• Multicam parts need to be purchase as a set to really get the full effect.

MIAD Grip Score: 8/10.

Now the MIAD isn’t a perfect copy of the real steel counterpart and is basically a replica of the real steel rather than actually being the real thing and for the extra cost of the coating might put a few people off. The over all design of the MIAD is very ergonomic and is actually one of the comfiest grips I have used.

Having examined the sizing of the MIAD grip I think it would have possible to actually enable it to have optional grip inserts and for $45 USD it’s almost worth trying to see if the real one could be modified to airsoft.

Pro:

• Excellent design with many cool features.

• 1:1 copy of the real thing, but isn’t MIAD!

• Comes in 3 other colours.

• Non Multicam versions are reasonably priced.

Con

• The Multicam finished version was released to early (No other parts available at release date, not good for a limited edition version)

• The grip isn’t actually Mission adaptable!

• More expensive than standard versions.

• Finishing will wear off eventually.

• Multicam parts need to be purchase as a set to really get the full effect.

Closing Comments.

As a whole set MIAD and CTR I would give this product a 9/10 without hesitation the CTR stock is awesome, so much in fact that I went out and purchased the Black and Dark Earth versions for other weapons in my collection and so it wouldn’t feel left out also picked up the matching MIAD grips.

The over all feel of the CTR and MIAD on any M4 variant is awesome and you can tell that all the research has been passed down in to the airsoft versions of these products. Also with all the other Multicam Hydrographic film parts getting released you won’t be in the same position as I was 3 months ago.

Also I have just received word from Magpul designer group in the USA that they are still continuing to study the feasibility to make a replaceable rear and front panels for the airsoft MIAD grip. I will keep you update.

Next “Accessorize! More Multicam madness!”

talebanmediumhw9.jpg

I'm getting the feeling that you might just possibly like Multicam, FarEast.

:D

Is that Motor a Systema? Or one of the new TOP motors?

I'm trying to get my hands on a new set of Chinese Motors which appear to be very similar to the TOP ones (OEM?) so I can review them. Would be interesting to see how they match up.

The Airsoft MIAD is not a 1:1 replica of the real MIAD.

Its thicker to accomodate the large AEG motor.

People have had to dremel away quite a bit of material to get a real miad to fit a ptw so im fairly confident that trying to adapt a RS MIAD to a regular airsoft gun would be nigh impossible.

While you can buy Multicam Midcaps from WGC shop, I believe FarEast had his done by a company called Dynamic Tacitcal specially as was emplied in his review.

Just to clarify, Dynamic Tactical, aka DYTAC, is an airsoft aftermarket parts and gear manufacturer that sells their products to stores such as RedwolfAirsoft, DenTrinity and WGCShop to name a few. DYTac products, such as the above Multicam M4 Midcaps, are available in sets of 5 mags for as little as $72 per set from WGCShop.

I have a few of these mags, and they are excellent, feed well and cheap considering they are coated in real Multicam Finish just like what you'd get from Lakota Industries. I also have a DYTac multicam Vertical Grip which should be available at stores any day now. It should also be noted that, both DYTac and another company called MC-Tech both produce IBH replica helmets coated in Multicam. Their respective MSRPs are $78 (DYTac) and $112 (MC-Tech), however, I assure you they are the same helmet. Just so you know. ;)

If you had actually read the review you would know  ;)

Actually, I read the review and still managed to miss this bit of detail somehow :( *reads it again alla way through to catch it*

Great review. I really like the 'breaking up' properties it has for the weapon, shame it doesn't come in british DPM too :D.

hey far east good review

i have the magul miad grip on my m733 and the motor adjustment screw on mine was very loose when i had it at the right height. so like the screw would wobble around at the vibrations caused by the motor when its running. did you have that problem?

Wow... I've got 5 or 6 Magpul PTS MIAD grips and every single one of them... the motor adjustment screw is a real pain in the butt to adjust because they're so damn tight. To hear you've got a loose screw (in the MIAD that is :P ) is the first I've ever heard of that issue coming up. You may want to try using some thread-lock to help it hold in place.

Which color variant of the MIAD do you have? Is it FDE/OD/Black?Multicam? I'd be even more surprised if it was a Multicam MIAD as the finish lays a thin layer of coating on top that would reduce the amount of wobble even more.

Are you sure that it's a real Magpul MIAD because I have the Black, OD, Dark Earth and the Multicam and all the plates as uscmCorps points out are extremely tight to adjust.

I have seen the ACM copies and they are loose, check the grip to make sure it has all the logos and trademarks.

Are you sure that it's a real Magpul MIAD because I have the Black, OD, Dark Earth and the Multicam and all the plates as uscmCorps points out are extremely tight to adjust.

I have seen the ACM copies and they are loose, check the grip to make sure it has all the logos and trademarks.

Oh snap! Excellent point! I totally forgot about those cloned MIADs. If it is one of the clones... well you get what you pay for. But some thread lock should remedy the problem.

Heres mine with the Magpul CTR and Lakota bodywork:

IMG_1086.jpg

I binned the Magpul MIAD as no matter what I did (and I'm no stranger to engineering work) I couldn't get it to sound right. I also found the angle and width of the grip not to my taste. The thread was also ridiculously loose.

The CTR on the other hand is a fantastic bit of kit. Even if it really is a complicated solution to a problem that doesn't really exist, it still looks sweet.

Also good to remember that the Magpul hydro coating and Lakota coating are NOT the same and have different shades.

Also good to remember that the Magpul hydro coating and Lakota coating are NOT the same and have different shades.

Alright... just to clarify a few facts here. According to Crye Precision, the source for all the legit Crye Multicam film is the same manufacturer. According to Crye, any variances you might see are probably due to the difficulty in getting the colors exactly the same from film batch to film batch. Furthermore, Multicam as a pattern has a low degree of repeatability, so you won't see the same part of the pattern show up very often (DPM, and woodland etc have high repeated patterns).

Another relatively unknown fact is that when Lakota gets contracts to do high volume coating... they out source and send those part to China to get coated... at the same factory that does the Multicam Magpul PTS parts, the DYTac parts and the MC-Tech parts. So generally any variance you might be seeing is most likely due to different batches of the hydragraphic film having color inconsistencies.

As for the Magpul PTS MIAD, for me it is my favorite M4 AEG pistol grip to date (and I have a LOT to choose from). It is extremely confortable to the point that I have them mounted on all my M4s. Different hand types/sizes prefer different grips I suppose. But I personally love them!